Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Brick to launch specialty import portfolio

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Brick to launch specialty import portfolio

Post by GregClow »

Well, this is interesting...

Brick Brewing announces partnership with Latis Specialty Beer Import Company

WATERLOO, ON, Sept. 2 /CNW/ - Brick Brewing Co. Limited announced today
they will be partnering with Latis Imports' to launch its specialty craft
import portfolio. Latis currently imports brands from PALM Breweries,
Belgium's largest independent brewer, including PALM Ale and RODENBACH.

"Latis was created to import craft beers from talented independent
brewers from around the globe. The specialty import beer experience Latis
brings to the table is a great asset to Brick Brewery. As Ontario's first
craft brewer and one of Canada's last remaining 100% Canadian owned breweries,
we know PALM Breweries' brands will benefit significantly from Brick Breweries
new go-to-market strategy" said George Croft, President and
Chief Executive Officer.

Brick Brewing Co. Limited will start launching select PALM Breweries'
craft brewed beers in the Ontario market in the fourth quarter 2008.

"The craft import segment is growing and changing and Latis, along with
PALM Breweries, is contributing to the vibrancy of this category by bringing
an exceptional Belgian portfolio to North America. We're very excited about
the opportunity we have to bring PALM Breweries products to Ontario" says
Jim Brickman, Founder and Executive Chair of Brick Brewing Co.

Latis Imports', founded by former InBev execs David van Wees and
Anthony Giardina, has an innovative business model focused on sales and
marketing.

"Ontario is one of the most dynamic beer markets in the world and
PALM Breweries' respect for its 261 year old family owned brewing traditions
will appeal to these discerning consumers" says Latis CEO van Wees, originally
from Princeton Ontario. "PALM Ale's flavor profile and nuanced palate with a
clean finish is a great fit for this savvy beer community."

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Brick has done this before, remember Celis White, Henninger, Sam Adams...they never really did much with the imports they represented. We'll see this time!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Cass wrote:Brick has done this before, remember Celis White, Henninger, Sam Adams...they never really did much with the imports they represented. We'll see this time!
Did they rep Sam Adams at one point? Sleeman is repping them now (and not doing much with them, as you note).

With the other breweries that Brick worked with in the past, I believe it was always a case of contract brewing them here rather than working as an importer. I don't know if that will make much difference, but if there's even a chance of Rodenbach becoming a regular listing at the LCBO, I'm all for it. :wink:

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

They did in fact have importation rights at one point for Sam Adams. Way back in the day we used to get a Sam Adams beer in the LCBO from time to time, but I remember that once they got the rights those one-off releases stopped. Not sure if it was Brick's doing or Sam's.

Queef

Post by Queef »

GregClow wrote:"Ontario is one of the most dynamic beer markets in the world."
really? or did they forget to add the word lager between dynamic and beer?
it's beer o'clock.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

The Henninger, Celis and Andechs efforts had limited runs (and effort/success?) and Brick has gone from their own sales force to joining with/owning a sales agency to back to their own sales force (under Croft). Very sketchy results over the years. For Palm, the issue is strong LCBO representation as I don't expect to see big draught efforts.

I view the Sleeman representation of Sam Adams as getting control of the only 'craft' competition your size in order to limit their success on your turf. Why Jim Koch would fall for this, I have no idea.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Forgive me for my ignorance, but clearly I'm not old enough to have been around for previous efforts of this nature. What exactly are they going to do? I got the impression they'll essentially just be the importing agents for the LCBO?

Well, I guess the Brick has to redeem themselves somehow, seeing as ALL their products are pretty sub-standard now. I just met a guy who used to work for them who told me he never drinks anything from Brick other than the Red Baron and Laker because they're the only two actually brewed at the main location in Waterloo, everything else is Formosa and is beyond sketchy :o .

Rosko

Post by Rosko »

I'm crossing my finger sand praying for a return of the Rodenbach Grand Cru. A fantastic beer.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Nice. Hope it flies. I'm enjoying a Rodenbach Grand Cru right now actually...strange coincidence.
Palm if I recall from my time in Belgium was pretty much everywhere as the basic party / get drunk beer, say liek a Keith's is here.

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

did brick win its battle with TBS for the right to sell Red Cap in stubbies? I remember it was a long legal fight...

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

It was at one point NOT sold in stubbies? I had no idea. It's always been in stubbies EVERY time I've seen it. Guess it wasn't much of a court battle.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

bujubanton wrote:did brick win its battle with TBS for the right to sell Red Cap in stubbies? I remember it was a long legal fight...
IIRC, the issue wasn't to do with them being able to sell the stubbies - TBS sells a lot of things in non-standard bottles. Rather, I think it had to do with Brick getting the bottles back when they were returned for deposit. Due to being non-standard, they were being recycled rather than returned to Brick, or something like that.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JesseM wrote:
Well, I guess the Brick has to redeem themselves somehow, seeing as ALL their products are pretty sub-standard now. I just met a guy who used to work for them who told me he never drinks anything from Brick other than the Red Baron and Laker because they're the only two actually brewed at the main location in Waterloo, everything else is Formosa and is beyond sketchy :o .
It's too bad. One would have hoped it's not THAT difficult to brew average-person beer that is drinkable. Weird-tasting 'craft' beer does NOT help draw new people away from Coors Miller and Molson, it confuses the issue.
In Beerum Veritas

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

bujubanton wrote:did brick win its battle with TBS for the right to sell Red Cap in stubbies? I remember it was a long legal fight...
Ask and ye shall receive:

http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Money/2008/09/03/6647201.html

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Rob Creighton wrote:
Ask and ye shall receive:

http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Money/2008/09/03/6647201.html
Freaky... do the gods read bartowel?