Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ratebeer unsafe?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

it appears to be unsafe again. im getting malware notices from my security software. i plan to avoid it until i here its ok again.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

seems to be out again since last night

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I'm really worried about our beloved ratebeer. It seems every effort gets made to put the site back up and within 24 hours its either offline or plagued with malware warnings or snail like performance. Some hacker(s) really has a hate on for the site and I fear their efforts to bring it down are slowly winning. Having zero knowledge about website upkeep or protection I have no idea how they solve this. Hopefully they can.

Of all the sites to want to destroy...a beer review community site? Bizarre.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I have no knowledge of website protection either, but it did seem to be horribly insecure.

I once inadvertently got logged in under another user name (Derek). Perhaps it was due to a cookie from another site? Anyway, that user hadn't logged in for a couple of years, so I tried changing the password, and it actually worked!

I notified them at the time, but never heard anything back.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

GregClow wrote: RateBeer has always had an option to download all of your ratings in a couple of different formats (although it might only have been available to paid members). But I guess being able to use that would be dependant on the site coming back online at some point . . .
Is the "Compile Beer Ratings" working for anyone?
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

NO, i've tried a few times to get my ratings downloaded by alas, no dice. 'm quite glad over the years i have kept my own spread sheet of the beers i've tried. I too am quite worried, seems like everything they do it gets butchered within 12 hours. You really gotta wonder at this point if it's someone who really has a hate on for ratebeer.

Radek

Post by Radek »

This is no random attack as it was suggested before. I know it does not look good but we are making progress, trust me on that. I can’t say more but I am first time in a while optimistic about situation.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Radek wrote:This is no random attack as it was suggested before. I know it does not look good but we are making progress, trust me on that. I can’t say more but I am first time in a while optimistic about situation.
Radek, is it safe to go on ratebeer at this time?

Radek

Post by Radek »

I don’t want to say yes , they really good , scan was at 90% so far clean ... If you don’t have good antivirus program like AVG (its free ant stopped all attacks so far for me when on RB) I would wait a bit.