Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

DFH vs. ST

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Back to the topic at hand ... I prefer the ST in a fairly close vote. When you taste them side by side, Southern Tier has a definite spiciness in the hopping which DFH does not - I think this may be what was referred to above as "zing". In any event, it is what makes the ST preferable to my palate.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I noted here that the IPAs are different in the presentation of the hops, but that to me is just a good thing, just as different styles of the same regional wine or food are a good thing.
In Beerum Veritas

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Just recently had the Southern Tier after about a year drinking DFH and I gotta go with Southern Tier.

$

Post by $ »

I recently just finished up a 6 pack of Dogfish 90 I bought down in Buffalo. I'm hoping the DFH60 is almost as good.

I have to say when I first had a 90, I didn't like it. The typical complaints from a hop head about too much malt not enough hop. However, as I had one every couple of weeks, it really grew on me. I love southern tier, but the 90 beats it.

I'd say give the 60 some time if you're a hop head, and I'm hoping it's almost like the 90.

$

Post by $ »

Just had a 60 last night, it is almost as good as the 90.

I just noticed dogfish has a 120 minute IPA. 21% alcohol??!? crazy.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

$ wrote:Just had a 60 last night, it is almost as good as the 90.

I just noticed dogfish has a 120 minute IPA. 21% alcohol??!? crazy.
Numerous sources using numerous methods have calculated the ABV in the 120 to be no where near 21%. Generally it comes in somewhere in the 15% range. Same with their World Wide Stout. Sorry to burst that bubble for you! From what I've heard a lot of US breweries use older and generally less accurate means to figure out the abv of their beers.

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

all these good comments about ST....better watch out for a flame from Esprit telling us we don't know what we are talking about...

the DFH 60 is a good beer...I just think the ST is better.

The 90 though is another story..almost a completely different beer.

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

bujubanton wrote:all these good comments about ST....better watch out for a flame from Esprit telling us we don't know what we are talking about...

the DFH 60 is a good beer...I just think the ST is better.

The 90 though is another story..almost a completely different beer.
I've got to agree with buju on both counts...preference for one over the other is a matter of individual taste. I'm not really an IPA fan, but I like both, with a slight preference for the Southern Tier.

As far as DFH 90, when I first tried it in a bottle, I really didn't like it, and I don't think it was a freshness issue; but when I had it on tap this summer, I was glad that I gave it a second chance.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

bujubanton wrote:the DFH 60 is a good beer...I just think the ST is better. The 90 though is another story..almost a completely different beer.
Ummm...because it IS a completely different beer.

Regardless, I agree that the ST IPA is better (IMHO) than the DFH 60.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

After having some of both recently, I'm going to give my nod to ST as a preferred beer over the DFH60. I enjoy both very much, but a slight edge to the ST.

I gove the DFH90 a vote above the ST though. And ya, that 21% alcohol rating for the 120 must be a bit exaggerated, although you definitely feel the effects after downing one - especially after a 60 and a 90 8)

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Like what you like...don't like what you don't like...ST is a great beer and I love it personally as I love DFH60...they're not the same beer although labelled with the same style...it's all good...neither is "better" than the other as it once again comes down to personal taste...some people love Big Macs...that doesn't mean it's the greatest burger in the world....I like them personally as the Whopper sucks IMHO. I'm troubled by the lack of discussion about Rogue Dead Guy...the fact is it's selling incredibly well and obviously appeals to a broader market as it's much closer to mainstream than U.S. IPA's but it's still a nice session beer....surprised that no one seems to comment....not looking for accolades here but just feedback.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

esprit wrote:...not looking for accolades here but just feedback.
I think it's great. When I'm all hopped-out ( which doesn't happen that often) I go back to the Dead Guy for a change and find it to be a delicious beer.
I was talking with a couple of neighbours last week and offered them both a Dead Guy (neither having heard of it) and they loved it. Pounded it back, actually.
So there you go.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

esprit wrote:...not looking for accolades here but just feedback.
It's a decent, balanced brew, though a little generic. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Saaz, so it's too bad there isn't a little more flavour from the Perle.

It's a very Americanized version of a Maibock (without the German malt & Lager yeast; with a little crystal malt thrown in). But because it's replicating a style, it's not really an 'art'. So beer geeks might have trouble with that.

I'm sure it'll fly off the shelves in a few weeks! (I say it's more of a trick than a treat). :D

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

I just did a blind comparison and preferred the ST...not that I didn't enjoy DFH it was great too but the ST has a more sharp hop character and less malty. But really I need selection in ipa's don't like to stick to one brand so it's great to have both here.

As for the Rogue, I'm still not having any luck finding it at my conveniant lcbo locations...and with current gas prices I ain't driving a half hour to pick up a sixer or two.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Jan Primus wrote:I just did a blind comparison and preferred the ST...not that I didn't enjoy DFH it was great too but the ST has a more sharp hop character and less malty.
The Southern Tier really does have a great balance coupled with the satisfying wallop of hops.

I almost feel like I'm a different beer drinker since Dogfish 60 first appeared - that or else the 60 is a little more polite in the hoppy bite than I remember. Of course I was drinking Church Key-made Sgt Majors at the time. This is not a bitchy, paranoid 'it's not the same' comment, I'm honestly perplexed that it seems smoother than I expected, for whatever reason. This is a beer that should just blow me away as I clearly remember it did.

Perhaps this is due to the delayed distribution, and/or final tweaks at the new brewing plant - this is understandable, and I'm keeping an open mind to future shipments. Clearly it's selling fast regardless.
In Beerum Veritas