Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

DFH vs. ST

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I've always thought the DFH60 was an easy drinker, but the hop profile does seem a little different than the last release.

I thought they used Palisade hops... now their description includes a "mystery hop X"? Maybe things changed-up with the shortage?

Maybe it is the new brewhouse, or maybe it's just my own tastes...

http://www.dogfish.com/brewings/Year_Ro ... /index.htm
"Our flagship beer. A session India Pale Ale brewed with Warrior, Amarillo & 'Mystery Hop X.' A powerful East Coast I.P.A. with a lot of citrusy hop character. THE session beer for beer geeks like us!"

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Derek wrote:
Maybe it is the new brewhouse, or maybe it's just my own tastes...
Exactly my thought. It's way too strong a statement to say this respected brewery have intentionally changed the beer, and I'm betting the first few brewings at the new facility should almost be expected to vary slightly. This is craft-brewing, catering to a very specific market that likes to be really discerning & pick out small details.
In Beerum Veritas

co

Post by co »

I just got a case of the Dogfish Head into my local LCBO. I quite like it, though I do prefer the strong hop finish in the Southern Tier. Nevertheless, both beers quench my thirst for hops. The DFH actually reminded me a fair bit of the Nelson I.P.A. I bought while out in Vancouver this summer. Anybody else see this similarity or am I just sniffing glue?

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

co wrote:I just got a case of the Dogfish Head into my local LCBO. I quite like it, though I do prefer the strong hop finish in the Southern Tier. Nevertheless, both beers quench my thirst for hops. The DFH actually reminded me a fair bit of the Nelson I.P.A. I bought while out in Vancouver this summer. Anybody else see this similarity or am I just sniffing glue?
I've never clued into it before, but now that you mention it, I think you're right. I think they taste similar because they both have a little more citrus punch than a lot of other IPA's. I think the Nelson Paddywhack IPA has a little less robust malt profile and a little thinner mouthfeel than the Dogfish 60......kind of a Dogfish light if you will, but I do indeed find them quite similar.

Hawks28

Post by Hawks28 »

I have to go with the DFH on this one, though not by much. I find the ST to be hoppier, but I like the overall flavour of the DFH better. I can see myself going back and forth between the 2, but probably getting the DFH more often. Great to have them both available.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Echo that - great to have them both. The DFH has a fruit character that is very distinctive in the flavor.
In Beerum Veritas

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

These two beers have been a real awakening for me in terms of quality drink. I always knew something really good was out there but could never find it. Thank god I stumbled across this place!

But back to the beers. They are both delicious..in both initial tastings I had something happen that has never happened before. Half way through the drink, but still sipping away, I got pre-occupied on something else. Then without thinking I heard myself utter, "!@#$ this is good beer!". Huh? Where did that come from? Whatever that part of my subconscious is that woke up, it's a big fan :)

Choosing between the two is difficult. If I had to, I think I'd lean towards Southern Tier. It has more fruit on the nose whereas I find the Dogfish to be quite piney scent wise. In taste though, both these drinks are rock stars. I love the balance and the complexities in each.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Ralphus wrote:These two beers have been a real awakening for me in terms of quality drink. I always knew something really good was out there but could never find it. Thank god I stumbled across this place!

But back to the beers. They are both delicious..in both initial tastings I had something happen that has never happened before. Half way through the drink, but still sipping away, I got pre-occupied on something else. Then without thinking I heard myself utter, "!@#$ this is good beer!". Huh? Where did that come from? Whatever that part of my subconscious is that woke up, it's a big fan :)

Choosing between the two is difficult. If I had to, I think I'd lean towards Southern Tier. It has more fruit on the nose whereas I find the Dogfish to be quite piney scent wise. In taste though, both these drinks are rock stars. I love the balance and the complexities in each.
Sounds like you just had a beer epiphany. Congratulations!
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Ralphus wrote: In taste though, both these drinks are rock stars. I love the balance and the complexities in each.
Now the trick is to show your Keith's drinking friends the light.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

sprague11 wrote: Now the trick is to show your Keith's drinking friends the light.
Trying my best - I got some of my friends into beer tastings this summer. The first one, held in August, was a big hit. We have another one scheduled for next Saturday. I can't wait. We sample them blind, rate them in a ridiculous Olympic style manner and then the bottles are unveiled afterwords. It's a lot of fun and interesting to see how many people perceive the same beer completely differently!

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

once people get a chance to sample these beers it opens up a whole new world...it's the same as realizing that you don't have to have only iceberg lettuce the rest of your life...

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

bujubanton wrote:once people get a chance to sample these beers it opens up a whole new world...it's the same as realizing that you don't have to have only iceberg lettuce the rest of your life...

Yeah but Keith's is really cool because when you are drinking it at a bar, you may get the opportunity to go into that secret room and speak to the statue of Alexander Keith. Then the statue may or may not give you advice on what to drink.....and it always recommends Keith's.

Also, it is a real IPA.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!