Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

2008 Gift Packs at the LCBO

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I am thrilled with these offereings. Especially the Westmalle. I was eyeing a Westmalle gift pack in Alberta a while back with a 500ml challice, 3 dubbel and 3 trippel, but my suitcase was already full :( I'm no longer kicking myself for not picking it up. Now if only we could get that elusive Rochefort gift pack brought in to Ontario, I'd be in heaven.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

In regards to Rochefort, the only way you will ever see it in Ontario is through the Consignment program and we would not do the gift box in any case. We are on a strict allocation and the LCBO's labelling and packaging requirements are such that there is no way we would ever offer the product to them as we would be subject to all sorts of penalties and fines...this is a great example of the LCBO denying the consumer access to one of the great beers of the world since their warehouse is now deciding what can or cannot be carried although their spin on it would be that "you can buy it through Esprit and since it's in the Consignment program, that means the LCBO is supplying it".

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

esprit wrote:In regards to Rochefort, the only way you will ever see it in Ontario is through the Consignment program and we would not do the gift box in any case. We are on a strict allocation and the LCBO's labelling and packaging requirements are such that there is no way we would ever offer the product to them as we would be subject to all sorts of penalties and fines...this is a great example of the LCBO denying the consumer access to one of the great beers of the world since their warehouse is now deciding what can or cannot be carried although their spin on it would be that "you can buy it through Esprit and since it's in the Consignment program, that means the LCBO is supplying it".
That's too bad... good thing I bought a bunch of the Rochefort 8 when they had it a few years ago!

Now that said, it is sorta true... who needs the LCBO when Espirit has it? It's a good value and it'll cellar forever, so you can pick away at the case over time. I'm not fond of the 10 when it's fresh anyway!

Back on topic... I'm looking forward to some of these packs & their glassware!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

--- fixed! ---
El Pinguino wrote:Damnit. Even this 'festive' thread was ruined by bartowel whining.
Last edited by Belgian on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Damnit. Even this 'festive' thread was ruined by bartowel whining.

Here are some gift pack ideas that I think would be great:

- Unibroue of any kind with glassware (love the Unibroue glasses)
- A Simpsons themed beer gift pack (cmon, who doesn't have one of those talking Homer bottle openers?)
- A special pack from some of our newer beers like ST or Brooklyn
- A 'luxury' pack with some classy coasters from a local Micro
- A Robert Simpson pack (just cause I saw their version of the 'logo on the glass changes colour when cold' and think it's neat)
- Something with a yard glass or boot glass, cause they're different
- Something with a cool beer calendar included
- A Black Oak gift pack with glassware or other (Because I like their beers and barely anyone else I know has heard of them...so I want to help spread the word)
- An Orval gift pack. One of the best glasses out there.
- an OCB gift pack with an "intro to craft beer" theme ... complete with different style beers and a mini book or some kind of educational component for introducing newbies to the beer world. Their summer taster pack they did was nice....but I wasn't tempted to buy it for anyone.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

a Unibroue package with glassware would take care of 75% of my christmas gift-giving list.

I like the Intro to Craft Beer idea featuring seasonal brews.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I've posted the full list of gift packs with info here.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

All I can say is that I am shivering with anticipation. I will drive to Toronto if I must to get my hands on a Westmalle gift pack and Samuel Smiths Gift pack. I fell in love with S.S. beers when i was in the U.K. and I would love to add one of their pint glasses to my collection. I cannot believe I am going to say this, but, Good Job LCBO and congratulations to everyone who had input in getting some of these gift packs.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

6 of the packs are ours including the 2 that you are most enthusiastic about and we also have the HISTORIC ALES OF SCOTLAND pack which is now yearound so not mentioned in this bulletin. This is probably our best lineup in years so we're very excited about it even though we don't make much in the way of money as there are huge charges from the LCBO to carry these packs. Obviously a lot of fluff being offerred as well but I think the average beer afficionado should be well served by this year's selection and kudos to the LCBO for some good choices. Someone mentioned Orval as well and we'd love to offer their pack but it's incredibly expensive and did not do well the last time it was offerred many years ago. We're talking $15.95 for two bottles and a glass. We may look at it for 2009.[/b]

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Orval glass from that pack is one of the most cherished in my collection. Hope it could come back someday, perhaps in 2009.

This year I'm particularly impressed with the new beers in the St Peter's pack and will certainly be buying more than one of those. Also the brilliant Westmalle.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Great lineup - especially excited about the Westmalle, Maredsous and St. Peter's, plus all the usual Belgian suspects.

Someone mentioned Unibroue. I've seen gift packs in Quebec. I think you got two (different) large bottles and a glass. I saw something at a dep that intrigued me. It was a cardboard tube with the Trois Pistoles art on it. At a guess, it looked like it might contain a bomber of TP and maybe a glass and coasters. Couldn't find out because the owner said it wasn't for sale.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

At the gift shop at Forquette Forchette in Montreal they had gift packs for BDC, TP, Maudite & LFDM containing two 341 mL bottles + glass each. I picked up one of each naturally...very nice glasses, classy packaging.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Now that the official list is up, nice to see some friendly annuals. The "piraat" pack is great, and I usually pick it up as well (despite no glass, ha ha)

Orval in 2009 would be amazing, surprised that it didn't sell well last time. At that price it's within range of most of these by a buck or two.

The Unibroue gifts...yes, a pilgrimage to Quebec I guess is in the cards.

Happy that they changed the Hobgoblin giftpack to include a glass this year instead of a tshirt....!

Overall, in terms of giting to others looks like the Westmalle is going to be the winner this year.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Chimay is still the best value but Westmalle is no doubt the most interesting having never been here before...St. Peter's offers 2 beers never seen here before and a great looking pint glass...please don't forget the Scotland pack as the LCBO seems to have....

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I plan on buying nearly all the giftpacks that become available. I Love Chimay blue and it the only time of year that its available in the LCBO. I look forward to sampling the Scotland pack as well.