Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Charles MacLean's new brewery

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

(Splitting this off from another thread, where Rob Creighton mentioned...)
Uhhhh - who with the what now??
Last edited by GregClow on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

GregClow wrote:
Rob Creighton wrote:Charles MacLean's new brewery
Uhhhh - who with the what now??
In what can only be called 'a remote location', Charles has built and licenced a small brewery on his property. It will have a retail store and Charles will brew and bottle all of the unique beers he has always wanted to make but was unable to at F&M. The location is approx. equal distance from Mount Forest, Neustadt, Hanover and Durham. In other words - scratch-my-ass Ontario.

I look at it as a resort location for guys. It has a full woodshop, a brewery, a hand made bar with cask ale in Charles' basement (the Woodcutters Arms?) and fly fishing in the Saugeen River at the foot of his property. And...wild animals come up to his back door just begging you to shoot them (for those so inclined). The ultimate get-away spot for a guy weekend. Charles is intending to package in a 500ml bottle for LCBO distribution.

This is not one that will be easily found so you will have to watch for a website with map and hope that your GPS is accurate.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Thanks for the scoop, Rob. Sounds great!

MattB

Post by MattB »

I hope this move doesn't affect deliveries of MacLean's Pale Ale ... it's on tap at my local, the Done Right Inn, and I would be mighty disappointed should it become scarce ....

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

I don't believe that the MPA will move from F&M initially because Charles would not be able to brew enough at his place. He probably will be bottling the MacLeans though which would be new.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I had a cask MPA at C'est What the other day. It was pretty damn good, and I wish Charles the best of luck with his new venture.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Sounds like a great retirement location, Maybe I need to join the boys from Sunnyvale with their 'Freedom 35' plan
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Bit of an update:

Just now perusing the OCB website, saw this exciting (to me) info -

MacLean's Ales

Country Organic Ale
A golden coloured ale at 4.4 % abv brewed with certified organic malt and Hallertauer hops with a delicate,crisp flavour.

Country Organic IPA
A golden coloured ale at 6.2 % abv brewed with certified organic malt and hops. The hops are Fuggles and Goldings which provide a dry, hoppy finish to the ale.

Farmhouse Ale
A golden coloured, light tasting ale at 4.8 % abv brewed with Canadian barley, some of which is grown locally and Nugget hops grown on the farm and other local hops.

MacLean's Barleymow Bitter
Low gravity, hoppy amber coloured session ale at 3.6 % abv for the summer. Brewed with British Maris Otter and crystal malts with a smack of Fuggles and Goldings hops.

MacLean's Pale Ale
The flagship brand. A maltly, well hopped amber ale at 5.2 % abv brewed with British Maris Otter and crystal malts with Fuggles and Golding hops.

MacLean's Scotch Ale
A rich, malty flavour amber coloured ale at 7.2 % abv brewed with British pale and crystal malts, balanced by a generous addition of Fuggles and Goldings hops.

The two organics, the Farmhouse and the Barleymow seem to be new beers at Charles' brewery. Not sure if they're currently available, or if they are (more likely) projected. But exciting news nonetheless, as these are all styles I really dig. I also see that the IPA will be at Volo's cask IPA event. I've got to get up to West Grey sometime...

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Can someone ask him nicely to bottle these and submit them to the LCBO because I would buy them all. I think I feel a day trip coming.

kmallett

Post by kmallett »

So where is his place? My parents live up in Harriston so I go up that way quite a bit. I'll have to make a trip over to his place sometime and check it out :)

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

an address would be great. any other info would be great. this sounds really great.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Here's all the info I could find (taken from the OCB website):
MacLean's Ales
212744 Baseline Road
West Grey, ON N0G 2M0
Phone: 519-369-5061
Fax: 519-369-5232
charles.maclean@sympatico.ca.

I really hope these make it to the LCBO in some form or other. I've had the Scotch and the Pale in some form or other over the years - both solid ales, but it's the other four styles that particularly intrigue me. I love the "ordinary bitter" style, and the rustic British farmhouse ale sounds sooo good. Coming from Charles, I'm sure these will be bang-on stylewise. Really looking forward to the two organics as well. I just hope these see some kind of distribution (tap, cask, bottle, whatever) outside of the Grey/Bruce county. It's be nice to have these styles available regularly.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

dutchcanuck wrote:Can someone ask him nicely to bottle these and submit them to the LCBO because I would buy them all. I think I feel a day trip coming.
Seconded!!!!

kmallett

Post by kmallett »

I sent an email to Charles MacLean last night and got a reply this afternoon:
I just finished brewing my first Pale Ale here. I have done the Scotch Ale and the Organic Country Ale on cask so far. I will have bottles out late April from my retail store here. The adress is 212744 Baseline Rd., Normanby, West Grey. The phone number is 519-369-5061. The retail store will be open 12 noon to 5pm on Sat. and during the week during business hours by chance or appointment. I am still brewing at F&M a couple of days a week. My draught Pale Ale is still brewed there for cask and keg.
I think I'll make a trip up there sometime in April when he has some bottles ready.

carguy

Post by carguy »

Hey folks, does anyone have any updates on how Mr. MacLean is coming along? Is he ahead or behind schedule? It's a nice weekend, and I think a long drive to rural Ontario would be a good idea (and these drives always seem to end up as a beer destination, don't know how that happens). I'm looking forward to trying some new Ontario beer.