Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Holiday Beers/Gift Packs 2008 Release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

esprit wrote:...offending the odd geek is much less onerous and I can handle any boycotts....
That's good. Get ready.

The above threat is over the top.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I like beer. I like talking about beer. I used to like reading about beer on the bar towel. Posts are getting a little ridiculous lately.

Not taking sides or excusing anyones behavior, but if there are problems between members, perhaps its just best to let it get sorted out between the individuals involved OFF-BOARD or, saving that, let Greg or Cass address the issue privately. This is the last you'll ever hear from me on this stuff.

Anyone want to talk about beer? Man, I can't wait for Christmas. Loves me some Westmalle, I do.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Interestingly, a bunch of gift packs are actually coming up on the LCBO system already. No cities/stores yet, but they are indeed in the system. They can't becoming in this early, can they? Maybe just in the warehouse, waiting for the season perhaps.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

This thread belongs in the garbage....at least that is where it seems it is headed.

For those of you who have issues with one another, please settle the issues on your own time. The reason I am frequenting bartowel a lot less these days is because of derailed threads such as this one.

Re-commence childish bickering................
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

** POST SUBJECT: BEER GIFT PACKS, NOT PSYCHO THREATS**

boney wrote:
Interestingly, a bunch of gift packs are actually coming up on the LCBO system already. No cities/stores yet, but they are indeed in the system. They can't becoming in this early, can they? Maybe just in the warehouse, waiting for the season perhaps.
Greg Clow post numero uno (lesson: read the thread) wrote:
They should start appearing in stores shelves sometime in October.
If they did not start selling them in October we'd be getting a these Xmas packs during the spring break.
In Beerum Veritas

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Lesson, read the thread? Yes, yes. Read the thread....and yes, by the time they apear in stores it will indeed be October. How often though, despite the best info on the Bar Towel, has product shown up at stores before being listed or even advertised, not been delivered as promised, has reapeared months, sometimes years later as mystery stock etc. etc. (note, this is a fact based on observation, not an invitation to start LCBO bashing). I was just wondering if any one had some insight as to how long they would sit until they actually appeared.

Guilty of overzealousness, but not lazyness or illiteracy :)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

boney wrote:
Guilty of overzealousness, but not lazyness or illiteracy :)
Got it, LOL.

In reality I predict we'll see one or a few "self-gift" packs each week or so, right through early to mid January.

**** Further to topic: ***

De Koninck Amber, De Koninck Blond, De Koninck Tripel and De Koninck Winterkoninck, and a branded glass. - sounds a great deal. Glass could be a fat bowl or a high chalice?

Christoffel Winterse Bock - damn these 28 dollar jugs but I gotta get just one. No glass included. Just chug that bastard.

Maredsous Gift Box - love these beers, for sure. Skinny chalices anyone?

Westmalle - chalice similar to Affligem. Not bad.

CHIMAY - best all-purpose chalice ( Duvel Tulip rules though.)

Mill Street Barley Wine. -- is that a new vintage?

TRAFALGAR TRIPLE THREAT - three VERY strong beers, the ABV should keep them stable for weeks, possibly longer.
In Beerum Veritas

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Belgian wrote:TRAFALGAR TRIPLE THREAT - three VERY strong beers, the ABV should keep them stable for weeks, possibly longer.
:lol:

devonsleigh

Post by devonsleigh »

now I feel like a sucker paying 6 euros for a Westmalle chalice in Brussels and lugging it to Paris before I came back home. That won't stop me from buying a couple more though, its a beatiful glass.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Guys,

Not sure what to say here. I like to think of this forum as a friendly pub where we have (reasonably) intelligent conversation all with the goal of promoting good beer, both to new and experienced drinkers.

Recently I feel that we've turned into a road house where bar fights break out constantly.

I think most of you know me to not over-moderate and let things run their course. We've been through lots since the board launched in 2001, and I think we can get through our recent flare-ups. From passionate views comes heated conversation, even about beer.

But please, lets be respectful. If you wouldn't say something to someone sitting next to you at the bar at Joe's or Volo, don't say it here.

Thanks,
Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

That's a very good way of putting it Cass.

It's hypocritical for someone to say 'you'd like me in person because I'm likable' but then just carry on like an odious lout on the Internet. Not to make an example, it just apples to everyone who takes an easy & sleazy shot at another person from behind the safety of the computer keyboard.

So yeah... just like the other person were next to you in a bar, and at least a fair match. THAT's how you could rightly regard those with whom you'd communicate, right here. The BarTowel is NOT a escape valve for anyone's real-world frustrations in business or life. Nobody is entitled to that behavior.
In Beerum Veritas

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Cass wrote:Recently I feel that we've turned into a road house where bar fights break out constantly.
quick, someone call swayze :D

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Maybe we need to instigate some 'time outs' for certain people and issue temporary bans on posting.......! I doubt it though.
It's much easier to write something spur of the moment or have a kneww jerk reaction online.....as others ave said, in person....people are much different.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Or better yet, to neutralize some confrontational tendencies here we could have a 'meet and greet' night of actually tipping a pint with everyone from BarTowel.

I would be happy to meet anyone (controversial or not) from BT at such an event. Just drop by a few minutes, say hello & intro yourself - no big deal, and we get a less negative Forum. What say?
In Beerum Veritas

Magni

Post by Magni »

I'm down with that Belgian, I can think of more than few places that serve a good pint that are big enough to house us.