Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Holiday Beers/Gift Packs 2008 Release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Volo has a friendly atmosphere.

What weeknight works for most people?
In Beerum Veritas

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Guys, this thread has already gone off on a couple of tangents, and I'd prefer if it didn't spin off on another one. If you want to arrange a pub night of some sort, please start another thread to do so. Thanks.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

GregClow wrote:
Hobgoblin Gift Pack ($6.95 - LCBO 3566)
500 ml bottle of Wychwood Hobgoblin and a branded glass.

Samuel Smith's Selection Box ($12.95 - LCBO 696658)
One 550mL bottle each of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, Samuel Smith's Pale Ale and Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale, a branded glass, and two coasters.

Chimay Gift Pack ($13.95 - LCBO 560383)
One 330mL bottle each of Chimay Blue, Chimay White and Chimay Red, and a branded glass.
these 3 should take care of about 80% of my christmas list.

whitecap

Post by whitecap »

Picked up a couple Chimay Gift packs yesterday from the Queens Quay LCBO. I went in looking for the Koningshoeven Triple only to be told their shipment didn't come in, but then after a second check they discovered the 12 cases amongst the Chimay christmas gift packs :o. So I grabbed a case of Koningshoeven and a couple gift packs. :D

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

In Beerum Veritas

whitecap

Post by whitecap »

No the Tripel from the autumn release has finally hit the shelves.
http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=3724

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

I went to Yonge/Dundas to try and get a few Chimay gift packs, but was told by the manager that they have to hold them until November 15th.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Ya, the stock at the LC I went to was being held as well (Chimay giftpack). Not surprising really, since it seems to be the only one 'out' in the system.

They usually start to hit shelves a bit early though, around end of October if I recall. There are usually a TON of the Chimay giftpacks so I'm not worried about missing them as soon as they come out as much as the new ones like Westmalle!

:D

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

The LCBO did a very small buy of the Chimay's...in fact, we made a point of contacting them when we got the order as it was out of line with what they have previously sold...nonetheless, no increase and it is what it is. We expect most store to be out well before Xmas.

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

At the northfield store in Waterloo I saw out today:

Bitburger Gift Pack
Hobgoblin Gift Pack
Westmalle Gift Pack with Glass
Samuel Smith's Selection Box
Chimay Gift Pack
Maredsous Gift Box
Exclusive Belgian Ales

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

xocoatl wrote:At the northfield store in Waterloo I saw out today:

Bitburger Gift Pack
Hobgoblin Gift Pack
Chimay Gift Pack
Maredsous Gift Box
Exclusive Belgian Ales
'Bout the same in Peterborough, with the addition of the Christoffel Bock, Bah Humbug, the weird (but tasty) Scottish Ales, the St Peter's gift set (the Ruby Red is quite hoppy!), the Biere du Boucanier box set, and the two Erdingers. I didn't see the Exclusive Belgian Ales.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Popped into the Royal York at lunch, and by jove they had the Post Road Pumpkin! I thought the whole pumpkin beer promo was a dream where Sue Ellen placed the order before shooting JR, but then I woke up in the shower with Bobby Ewing to find out we were left with the same east european lager selection as before.

Anyway, while I was in there I noticed that they had almost all of the gift packs for sale, so I'm presuming that its probably being rolled out in most places right now. I'll definitely be all over the Maredsous and the Sam Smith's. I also saw the Christoffel Winterse Bock, which looks like a nice way to spend an evening.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Bobsy wrote: . . . I also saw the Christoffel Winterse Bock, which looks like a nice way to spend an evening.
I'm waiting to hear that it's not the Blonde in there before I shell out thirty bucks for that one.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

xocoatl wrote:At the northfield store in Waterloo I saw out today:

Bitburger Gift Pack
Hobgoblin Gift Pack
Chimay Gift Pack
Maredsous Gift Box
Exclusive Belgian Ales
If you hadn't posted this I wouldn't have busted my balls to get there today early to pick up a couple packs. So thanks for the notice!

I got the Westmalle and Samuel Smith packs. Enjoying the Old Brewery Pale Ale right now (pretty damn tasty! I've never had it before).

The Sam Smith's pack also includes this little booklet listing all the beers supplied by Merchant du Vin, the 'sole US agents of authentic beers'. I have no idea why they'd be included in packages for the LCBO, it's such a tease. They list things I'd kill for like Lindeman's Gueze and Ayinger Dopplebock :-? . The booklet also includes a neat little style guide for all their listed beers plus a historical tidbit for each.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

The_Jester wrote:
Bobsy wrote: . . . I also saw the Christoffel Winterse Bock, which looks like a nice way to spend an evening.
I'm waiting to hear that it's not the Blonde in there before I shell out thirty bucks for that one.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/christoffe ... ock/79220/

I'm assuming this is what's in the bottle. One can only hope.