Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Holiday Beers/Gift Packs 2008 Release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Pinguino, doesn't matter what the shelf price tag says, it will scan at $13.95. I'll contact the store and find out why they're posting the wrong price.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

The Maredsous just seems to be slow getting to the stores that's all. No explanation...there never is. It'll get there eventually...be patient and then buy all their stock. The Maredsous is the smallest of all the gift box purchases from Esprit so I don't think it will languish on the shelves.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I don't care if its slow on the roll out, I'm a patient man, I just don't want to drive to the GTA to pick one up :)
Thanks for the update Esprit.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I must have missed the Hobgoblin glass last time it was here as I don't have one in my collection...so for me, any Hobgoblin is a good Hobgoblin.

I picked up a couple Monty Python Holy Ales too....I know they don't rank well, but I find them very tasty and look forward to them each year.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

My eternal thanks for the new Christoffel offerings and brick bats for not renewing the Robertus Xmas order...although I anticipate the new dopplebock will dull my outrage. 8)
Aventinus rules!

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

pootz wrote:My eternal thanks for the new Christoffel offerings and brick bats for not renewing the Robertus Xmas order...although I anticipate the new dopplebock will dull my outrage. 8)
yeah, that robertus was nice stuff. don't quite know why it's classed as a vienna lager, though...

emjay

Post by emjay »

So any word on whether the Christoffel Winterbier is actually the blonde?

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

tuqueboy wrote:
pootz wrote:My eternal thanks for the new Christoffel offerings and brick bats for not renewing the Robertus Xmas order...although I anticipate the new dopplebock will dull my outrage. 8)
yeah, that robertus was nice stuff. don't quite know why it's classed as a vienna lager, though...
hmmm the location of the brewery IS confusing, a "Vienna" from Holland but the Danes are also making some great Viennas...the last place to find a Vienna Lager is Vienna :lol: ...it's a mattter of defining the style which is a horse that has been whipped to death here...concrete style parameters are hard to find as the style was more or less defunct and the real secrets of the style died with Anton Dreyher but from the few records left the main character is soft , malt forward subtleness verging on sweet but toasty, red-brown color with a clean crisp finish where noble hops are detected.

Robertus is not a thinner Vienna like Nils Oscar or Eliot Ness, it's more of an intensified rich version but I'm willing to call it a "Vienna" beats Dos Equis.

At any rate I love this stuff and could drink oceans of it. 8)
Aventinus rules!

devonsleigh

Post by devonsleigh »

Is there a reason why there are different glasses in the St. Peters gift pack? I noticed that the gift packs packaged in front have the St. Peters logo along with some award they received from the Queen from 2006 stamped on it, while the others behind it only had the St. Peters logo on the glass.

I was as the Cooper St LCBO again and most of the gift packs were on the floor, however I found it curious that they kept the Chimay gift packs at the front of the store in the corner, separate from the others and the opposite corner from where they stock the beer.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

..ran out of one set of glasses and then used a new design...that's pretty much it...does it matter? Be the first in your neighbourhood to have both. Don't know why the Chimays are in front...technically, none of them are supposed to be out yet but we'd obviously prefer them in the beer section and we'll follow up on that as we approach the actual release date. Many stores are sitting on their stock and follow the letter of the law when it comes to putting them out...others just put them out right away which is what we'd prefer. I needed some glasses and had to twist a store manager's arm to get him to sell me a case of Westmalle Gift Packs but they're still not on the shelves in that store.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

cannondale wrote:
Is the glass in this years Hobgoblin pack the same as 3 years ago? Tulip glass with etched Hobgoblin logo?

Nope, it's a tall straight glass which was out in the UK about 5 years ago!!!!! I was looking forward to a new glass this year but already have this one
And a very nice glass it is. This one, the Westmalle and the St. Peter's are all excellent glasses.

The seemingly inexplicable synergy of good beer in its own glass continues to baffle me..haha

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I hope the Westmalle glass is the fat style one, I don't make much use of these tall skinny chalices that are fluted like giant champagne glasses (though I love Maredsous beer so a few more of these v-shaped beauties will crowd my cupboards.)

The only tall chalices I regularly use are the Petrus ones from years ago, which round out a bit at the bowl, and then angle in slightly at the top - a much better shape IMO. I assume tall glasses just happen to be a better fit for gift packs.
In Beerum Veritas

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

The Westmalle is the fat chalice style with faux cut crystal.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I actually prefer more of a tulip to contain the aroma. I haven't seen a maredsous glass yet.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

You can see the glass on Belgian Shop http://shop.belgianshop.com/acatalog/Page_3.html