Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Holiday Beers/Gift Packs 2008 Release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

That's almost too bad, almost. I'm almost disappointed by that, almost. See, I bought one of the new OCB discovery packs recently, mainly because I wanted to the Black Oak Nut Brown, but ended up getting my mind blown by the bottle of Elora Irish Ale. Not blown away because it was a fantastic beer, but blown away because it wasn't infected, and also didn't completely suck. It's the first Trafalgar product I actually enjoyed drinking, and that, to me, was mind blowing. So I was almost looking forward to the 'VSB' series from them, almost. But not really. Maybe the brewer's conscience finally got to him? :P

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
matt7215 wrote:it looks like the trafalger pack has been dropped, its status has changed to delisted and there is no inventory in any store. can anyone confirm this?
I spoke with the driver from the brewery who was at my store last week, and he said that it wasn't coming out at all now.
First the nutcracker, now this? :wink:

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

To be honest, I really didn't mind the Critical Mass. It was certainly a sipper, but a little shot of it once and a while isn't too bad. And I was looking forward to having the black bullet. It isn't going to cause sleepless nights for me, but I was at least somewhat enthused about the release of this pack.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

I picked up a few of the Mill Street Barley Wine, and would have picked up more if it wasn't for the price. Also the Affligem pack has a rather nice glass, but so far the Westmalle is the best!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

i was planning on having all three of these in a side by side but i guess now ill have to wait. still i wonder why this got pulled?

D Derry

Post by D Derry »

I'm not sure if this was accidental or intentional, but both the Affligem glasses I got last year had etchings in the middle of the bottom of the chalice, from which a pleasing stream of bubbles rises for quite some time after pouring, sustaining the head of whatever you're drinking rather nicely. Anyone else noticed that?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
matt7215 wrote:it looks like the trafalger pack has been dropped, its status has changed to delisted and there is no inventory in any store. can anyone confirm this?
I spoke with the driver from the brewery who was at my store last week, and he said that it wasn't coming out at all now.
Who knows what the logistics might have been like? All-new packaging, non-bomber sizing, brewing schedules and profitability concerns (provided a lot of mls alcohol for the cost so there must have been quite a lot of tax in the price.)

Yes, Trafalgar CAN make a decent beer, but they can sure screw one up. I keep hoping they get it right since they do take chances with interesting styles rarely made in Ontario.
In Beerum Veritas

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

They had the three pack at the brewery out in Oakville a few weeks ago. No idea why its not coming out though.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

D Derry wrote:I'm not sure if this was accidental or intentional, but both the Affligem glasses I got last year had etchings in the middle of the bottom of the chalice, from which a pleasing stream of bubbles rises for quite some time after pouring, sustaining the head of whatever you're drinking rather nicely. Anyone else noticed that?
Quite sure that the etching is there for exactly that purpose.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sstackho wrote:
Quite sure that the etching is there for exactly that purpose.
Probably not a random accident. :wink:

Duvel has the little etched circle too, or used to. Makes a little 'Devil Flame' in the center of the beer, very cool. Took me a while to realize the etching, not the glass shape, made the little flame, LOL.
In Beerum Veritas

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I know the Historic Ales of Scotland is a general listitem, but the majority of LCBO's only carry it with other gift packs around Christmas, so I'm psoting about it here.

Does anyone (Peter?) know why the box lists 5 of the Healther Ale Ltd. products under contents (Heather, Scots Pine, Ebulum, Grozet and Kelpie) but doesn't include the Kelpie Seaweed Ale? Are there different 4 packs exported to differnet areas of of the world? All of the beers in the box are interesting, fun new beers to try and I'd love to be able to try the Kelpie.

Magni

Post by Magni »

I imagine the LCBO thinks we wouldnt want to drink seaweed ale but heck, I love seaweed.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

boney wrote:I know the Historic Ales of Scotland is a general listitem, but the majority of LCBO's only carry it with other gift packs around Christmas, so I'm psoting about it here.

Does anyone (Peter?) know why the box lists 5 of the Healther Ale Ltd. products under contents (Heather, Scots Pine, Ebulum, Grozet and Kelpie) but doesn't include the Kelpie Seaweed Ale? Are there different 4 packs exported to differnet areas of of the world? All of the beers in the box are interesting, fun new beers to try and I'd love to be able to try the Kelpie.

I've always wondered this as well.

I was lucky enough to get to try the Kelpie at Derek's place when he lived in London. Our friend Kevin brought someone who supplied the beer. It was an interesting sour, kinda salty porterish beer. Quite interesting.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

boney wrote:I know the Historic Ales of Scotland is a general listitem, but the majority of LCBO's only carry it with other gift packs around Christmas, so I'm psoting about it here.

I think that, maybe 3 or 4 years ago, it was in there? And the little write up in the package used to say something about "this case includes whatever is available seasonally." Maybe seaweed hibernates in the autumn.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

All 5 beers they produce are listed in order to give them the option of interchanging them if they wish. For the first time we poured all 4 of the current beers at the Gourmet Food & Wine Expo this past weekend. The hit of the 4 was the ALBA SCOTS PINE ALE. It was my personal favourite and we ended up with all sorts of extra bottles of the other stuff. FRAOCH was a close second and fans of Stout/Porter really liked the EBULUM Elderberry. I've talked to a number of seafood and sushi places and they have expressed interest in KELPIE. I'm arranging for some samples as I have never tasted it. If there is sufficient interest, we may bring some in through Consignment as well as some FRAOCH.