Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Holiday Beers/Gift Packs 2008 Release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

esprit wrote:All 5 beers they produce are listed in order to give them the option of interchanging them if they wish. For the first time we poured all 4 of the current beers at the Gourmet Food & Wine Expo this past weekend. The hit of the 4 was the ALBA SCOTS PINE ALE. It was my personal favourite and we ended up with all sorts of extra bottles of the other stuff. FRAOCH was a close second and fans of Stout/Porter really liked the EBULUM Elderberry. I've talked to a number of seafood and sushi places and they have expressed interest in KELPIE. I'm arranging for some samples as I have never tasted it. If there is sufficient interest, we may bring some in through Consignment as well as some FRAOCH.
The Alba and Ebulum both kick ass.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I agree with that statement. This brewer has done more good than not with their beer and is probably under-appreciated given the apparent 'novelty' look of their brews. They are not gimmick beers.
In Beerum Veritas

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

matt7215 wrote:it looks like the trafalger pack has been dropped, its status has changed to delisted and there is no inventory in any store. can anyone confirm this?
Well. Lots of this stuff locally in Oakville. Stumbled upon it today. There was a whole load at my usual LCBO. There seem to be a boatload at a few other stores now too.

I see the website listing now says:

*This product has been discontinued. Limited quantities are available for purchase in select stores only and cannot be transferred to other locations.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

El Pinguino wrote:
matt7215 wrote:it looks like the trafalger pack has been dropped, its status has changed to delisted and there is no inventory in any store. can anyone confirm this?
Well. Lots of this stuff locally in Oakville. Stumbled upon it today. There was a whole load at my usual LCBO. There seem to be a boatload at a few other stores now too.

I see the website listing now says:

*This product has been discontinued. Limited quantities are available for purchase in select stores only and cannot be transferred to other locations.
well shit ill be flambuzzled.....if anyone wants to do a trade ive got some grand river bottles for you. im officially ISO!!

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

The Trafalgar stuff was at the Summerhill LCBO today.

But it's a 3-pack of 200mL bottles for $11. From Trafalgar.

I took a pass.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I think Sstackho I will differ from your assessment & grab a three-pack of these extremely high-alcohol, rare treats... that's just too much adventure to pass up for a measly eleven bucks!!

Appreciate the heads-up, there are about 70 units in various LC stores now.

And what are the chances infections can happen in such strong beer?
In Beerum Veritas

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I also saw the Trafalgar at the Royal York LCBO today. Looking at the box it had a piece of card glued on the back which described the beers and their alcohol content. Perhaps the LCBO measurement differed from Trafalgar's and the brewery was told it would be discontinued without the correct labelling?

Just a theory.

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

Belgian wrote:And what are the chances infections can happen in such strong beer?
Significantly less than at 5%, but there's a reason medical-grade cleaning alcohol is 70%...

D Derry

Post by D Derry »

sstackho wrote: I took a pass.
Good call, sstackho, I wish I'd done the same. Instead I rushed up to Summerhill and bought not one but two packs of these. Optimistic that the altered alcohol contents implied a re-working of the recipes, I cracked into a Korrupter last night . . . and had a cloyingly sweet, utterly characterless "barley wine", the second one of which is likely to age indefinitely in my cellar until I've forgotten how bad this one was. As has been said before, if only Trafalger good dovetail their admirable willingness to be adventurous with a more refined technique . . .

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Whew! That bad?

I think we could cover the tasting of these beers with a BarToweller's mini-meet, using several shot glasses...
In Beerum Veritas

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I tried a sample of the Korruptor at the beer festival - I think I'll pass on this opportunity.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Bobsy wrote:I also saw the Trafalgar at the Royal York LCBO today. Looking at the box it had a piece of card glued on the back which described the beers and their alcohol content. Perhaps the LCBO measurement differed from Trafalgar's and the brewery was told it would be discontinued without the correct labelling?

Just a theory.
I peeled off the labelling and the original box had al three beers clocked in at 15%, the revised labels had them pegged at 12%-14%