Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Holiday Beers/Gift Packs 2008 Release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Bayview Village has most of the packs in stock... at least according to the LCBO website.

So I went up, but unfortunately the Maredsous wasn't out. I did get a couple of post road's from the back though.

If anyone's up that way, make sure you check the separate gift section! (hardly any of the gift packs are with the beer).

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

The entire beer gift pack operation at the LCBO is a complete farce.

Most of the gift packs are gone by the end of November, getting into the first week of December. Especially the ones like Chimay, beers of Belgium, bucanier, and any of the "fancy" beers that come with glasses. Also, that ridiculously over priced steamwhistle wall bottle opener as well.

We sell out of ALL BEER GIFT PACKS usually by mid December, and we are left explaining to customers various reasons why we have none left. Unfortunately, the only real reason is the buyers at head office aren't doing their jobs properly. But obviously their superiors think they are doing a great job, as they continue to under buy each and every year, failing the public year in, year out.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

JesseM wrote:
The_Jester wrote:
Bobsy wrote: . . . I also saw the Christoffel Winterse Bock, which looks like a nice way to spend an evening.
I'm waiting to hear that it's not the Blonde in there before I shell out thirty bucks for that one.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/christoffe ... ock/79220/

I'm assuming this is what's in the bottle. One can only hope.
Yes, there are TWO Christoffel jugs at the LCBO this year.

The one labelled "Winterse Bock" likely contains Christoffel Winterse Bock, as the alcohol percentage on the LCBO site is 7.8%, which matches the Winterse Bock listing on RateBeer.

The one labelled "Winterbier", meanwhile, has contained the regular Christoffel Blonde for the last couple of years, even though the name suggests that it should be the Christoffel Winterbier:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/christoffe ... ier/53011/

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Last year there were two Christoffel Jug offerings - the Blonde pilsner in the white jug, and some other beer in the dark jug. I don't know why the dark one was unoficially added on (hey the LC can be pretty random) but I do remember it was a buck or two cheaper.

I saw both jugs at Queen's Quay and a few other places last year.

Incidentally,
CASTRO'S in the Beach have a shipment of ROBERTUS (33cl). Very tasty and belgian-esque for a dark lager!
In Beerum Veritas

D Derry

Post by D Derry »

Yes, the other jug last year was Robertus. Incidentally, they also have Robertus at Ciro's (Bloor and Lansdowne), a great place that's far enough off the beaten path that last time White Cap and I were there, he had an Orval that was about six years old--delicious. I had a peculiar little Belgian bottle (something about a troll in the name) that was two years expired but none the worse for it.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Jesse, I just received a shipment of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvee Renee...it's expensive but well worth it in my opinion. Comes in cases of 12 x 355ml. E-mail me if you're interested espritagencies@sympatico.ca.

Peter

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

The "troll" is Cuvee des Trolls produced by Dubuisson who also make Scaldish (Bush). We brought it in for a whilte but it was a slow seller so we discontinued it. We still carry the Scaldis.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

D Derry wrote:Yes, the other jug last year was Robertus. Incidentally, they also have Robertus at Ciro's...
Then the jug's a surpassing value. I would rec over the other.
In Beerum Veritas

devonsleigh

Post by devonsleigh »

They had some Chimay gift packs available at the Cooper St (Queens Quay) LCBO when I was there yesterday. They weren't in the beer section but were placed with the wine gift packs in the front corner of the store. On a positive note the Guiness pack was prominently displayed on the floor.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

devonsleigh wrote:On a positive note the Guiness pack was prominently displayed on the floor.
Did I miss something? Why is this a positive note?
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Jon Walker wrote:
devonsleigh wrote:On a positive note the Guiness pack was prominently displayed on the floor.
Did I miss something? Why is this a positive note?
It's OK man. If irony has any play in it the comment made sense.
In Beerum Veritas

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Picked up some of my first gift packs of the season today (Hobgoblin, St Peters, Westmalle). Was going to grab a few Chimay packs for gifts, and one for myself....BUT the display had a big promo sign / name on it saying "Chimay Gift Pack $26.95"

I thought...ummm, that seems high. The Westmalle and St Peters packs I grabbed were 12-14...one less beer, but still. So I skipped it, came home, checked the price and ya it's being promoted $13 above list price at the Southdown store in Missisauga. Peter might want to look into that one...

Aside from grabbing some Chimay's eventually the Deuchars, Marstons and Bitburger are on my list still since I haven't stried any of those previously.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Is the glass in this years Hobgoblin pack the same as 3 years ago? Tulip glass with etched Hobgoblin logo?

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

cannondale wrote:Is the glass in this years Hobgoblin pack the same as 3 years ago? Tulip glass with etched Hobgoblin logo?
Nope, it's a tall straight glass which was out in the UK about 5 years ago!!!!! I was looking forward to a new glass this year but already have this one :-(

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Anyone know what's going on with the Maredsous gift packs? It seems like a few are in Toronto, but will the rest of get a chance to buy them?