Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Holiday Beers/Gift Packs 2008 Release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cannondale wrote:I saw the De Koninck packs last night and they didnt contain the Winterkoninck as mentioned in this thread. Just the blond, tripel and 2 of the amber.
Well then it's lacking the one seasonally-appropriate beer you'd get for buying a large piece of cardboard... thanks but no thanks.

Maybe the Trafalgar pack will surprise us all & be the best deal?? I'm definitely laying down some Maredsous for half a year or so!!
In Beerum Veritas

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I picked up the Deuchars pack today. The premium is not a glass but an Ian Rankin book. I thought it was a novel idea (sorry).

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

cannondale wrote:I saw the De Koninck packs last night and they didnt contain the Winterkoninck as mentioned in this thread. Just the blond, tripel and 2 of the amber.
Thanks for the tip. I'll modify the original post accordingly.
Gedge wrote:I picked up the Deuchars pack today. The premium is not a glass but an Ian Rankin book. I thought it was a novel idea (sorry).
Ditto. (And yeah, cool idea.)

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

I picked up the Westmalle pack today - damn fine glass.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The St. Peter's pint glass is totally BOSS - I love the cleanly tapered sides and the shape of the base. Must have more.

The elegant Maredsous glass is probably among the best-made as it has a fine-edge lip & seems like Czech beer-crystal. Impressive.

The Erdinger glass has a great top-bowl shape - I like collecting different Weizen glasses & this one is cheap to add a few to the collection.
In Beerum Veritas

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I have been forbidden by the wife to buy any of the giftpacks before Christmas, lest I ruin the only ideas for presents she has for me. :( that I don't get them now, :) that I get them later. Really looking forward to that St. Peter's pack

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I would buy the ones you want in secret, 'cause if she doesn't get them for you they'll be gone by Xmas and you won't be able to buy them for yourself! :-)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

boney wrote:I have been forbidden by the wife...
LOL, forbidden - that's actually really common in relationships so don't feel slighted here - It's more about her natural emotions than the practical reality.

What's really odd (and here is a little secret) is this: Women feel way more secure about a man that DOESN'T take her orders. Grab this great little opportunity to just sit & talk to her about it saying what you need to do & WILL do - openly, with love and don't hide the beer or anything. You might be surprised.
In Beerum Veritas

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I think Dr. Phil walked into the room. :wink:

Anyway, what do people think of the Erdinger glass as a wheat beer glass? Is it good or are there better ones out there? I am without a wheat beer glass, but don't fancy the Erdinger Hefe much, and I know if I wanted to try the Dunkel I can get it as a seasonal, so I was wondering if its worth plunking my money down for this one.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I know I couldn't bring myself to buy an Erdinger gift pack just for the glass. I think the Erdinger hefe is weak.

Magnotta makes a really nice wheat beer glass. I picked up one at the head office in Vaughn. I'm not sure if the other locations in Toronto (Yonge & Cummer and Midland & Ellesmere/Lawrence) carry the glass.
lister

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Both the Hefe and the Dunkel are a tad thin and bland, but the glass is boss. I've got about 6 different whear beer glasses, including the Wunder Weiss from True North and a few from Germany, and the Erdinger is far and away the thickest and most sturdy. If you are a glass nerd, its worth the pick up. :)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobsy wrote:I think Dr. Phil walked into the room. :wink:.
Yeah yeah, go pick up your wife's groceries, LOL.

I really did not think the Erdinger Dunkel was bad, it has some good fruit to it (at least for Erdinger.) The glass is THE fantastic thing though and worth the total cost - the beer is like a free bonus.
In Beerum Veritas

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Good feedback on the glass - a couple yays and a nay. I think I'll go ahead and get it. My father-in-law can drink the hefe and I'll roll the dice on the dunkel. I've always been skeptical on if and how a wheat beer glass enhances the beer, but it does look frickin' amazing when full!

How are people finding this year's packs? My only purchases so far are the Sam Smiths and the big ass Christoffel Winterse Bock. I knew the Sam Smith's would deliver the goods, but the bock was a complete mystery to me. I thought it was a decent beer, but nothing special, and definitely below the Paulaner Salvator in terms of flavour.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Robertus is a special beer to me - it's unusual, much like the Blonde Pilsner. Your mileage may vary.

Weisse beers sometimes require a fresh, sharp palate - they won't always taste like much in the evening or after a meal - certainly not after something sweet or heavy like ice cream. The brain is sending out signals 'blech, enough, stop eating!'

Both bottled Erdinger served in that gorgeous glass were a pleasure to enjoy (and I have definitely had some thin, dry Erdinger on tap before.)
In Beerum Veritas

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I finally picked up the St. Peter's pack today. I'm looking forward to the beers, and the glass is great, I love the brewery, but I am a little bothered by something. On multiple spots, the box has the phrase, "Award winning beers and ales" on it. Maybe I'm just a little overly critical, but I find it annoying, as if its implying beer and ale are two different things, thus potentially reinforcing existing misconceptions many non-beer geeks have about our wondrous drink.

I just find it odd that such a great brewery could make a mistake like that. Maybe I'm looking too deep into this.