Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Keeping Unpasteurized Beers

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Keeping Unpasteurized Beers

Post by boney »

I had a puzzling find when I returned home from a trip this weekend. A bottle of Neustadt Big Dog Porter has spectacularly exploded in my kitchen. It was sitting on a box on my kitchen floor. It had burst the flaps on the box open, the beer exploded onto my ceiling, all 4 walls and the top half of the bottle had made it all the way into the hallway! Boy was my wife pissed, who already thinks I store way too much beer.

Now I know Neustadt products are supposed to be refrigerated because they are unpasturized...and my bottle wasn't, but how frequent is this kind of thing? My more "prescious" beers are packed into my beer fridge, so I keep a lot of other beers in boxes at room temp, as I live in an apartment without a proper cellar area. Any tips on how long upasturized beer will keep both with and without refrigeration?

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Infected bottle most likely. Even if unpasteurized they shouldn't explode.