Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mill Street Barley Wine

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Belgian wrote:
flip wrote:
Belgian wrote: Well it's no Hair Of The Dog ADAM...
...which I just happened to have last night, from the previous private order. Simply. Amazing. Stuff. Too bad the Doggy Claws from the same order...
The "FRED" from this brewer is nearly the highest rated beer in the world, according to RB.

I was surprised how good the ADAM is. No capping issues! My most coveted stuff is the ADAM, and NOT because it's legendary (I can't taste legendariness in a beer.)

Fred actually isn't even close to being the highest rated beer in the world on RB.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I remember really enjoying this beer when I had a 2004 bottle provided by the venerable Dougshoemaker.

Looking at my notes from last years version, I preferred it much less last year.

I MAY try one bottle this year to see how it goes, but like I said earlier, $11.95 is too much for 500 ml of beer.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

of the 16 barley wines ive had i have to say that this is my least favorite. it would be nice to see this style more from the OCB but givin that very few people in ontario know what a barley wine is i doubt that we will see that. ill just have to keep purchasing the hardy's and pray it keep showing up from year to year.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

viggo wrote:
Fred actually isn't even close to being the highest rated beer in the world on RB.
That's right. HOTD Dave is the #3 right now, as you helpfully (almost) pointed out.

Thanks!
In Beerum Veritas

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Fact checking goes a long way!

D Derry

Post by D Derry »

One of the Trafalger super-strongs is called a barley wine on their website, although I don't know how true to style it is. Doesn't rate especially well, but the booze-hound element in me is rather looking forward to the punch of this playful trio.