Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mill Street Barley Wine

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

D Derry

Mill Street Barley Wine

Post by D Derry »

Does anyone else feel frustrated by Mill Street's increasing emphasis on selling packaging, when it comes to their Barley Wine. Apparently this year, their 500 ml is going to be 11.95. Sure, the clay bottle is lovely, and of course it's their prerogative to charge what they see fit, but they've knocked this beer appreciator out of the game. And what a pity! The other day I had a bottle of 2004, and found it delightful, with a gentle peary character. Last year's wasn't quite so nice, although perhaps with a few years' aging. In any case, it's not a good enough brew to be literally one of the most expensive in the world.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I won't be buying it for $11.95.
A $2.00 increase over last year's price of $9.95 is insane. Adding insult to injury is the fact that you are clearly paying for the ceramic bottle. I am going to guess that it is $4-$5 of the price.

Bring back the barley wine in the stubbies and I'd buy it often.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I hear nothing but complaints about overpriced packaging (Mill St Barleywine, Rogue XS series), yet the breweries keep doing it, so it must be working. I avoided last year's Mill St because of the price combined with the so-so reviews that the beer itself gets.

I'm not against paying more for good beer, but not when the packaging outweighs the value of the contents.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I have some 2004's as well! I might buy one 2008 just to see if it's different from the 2007.

M-S Barley Wine, even for the $12 cost is still a large and powerful 'rare' beer, probably being released more as a fun holiday treat than from evil profit motives... to be devil's advocate here! Christoffel jugs are costly too, but fun and I'm not buying too many of those either. Consider the "entertainment value."

I feel I am always piping up for breweries & bars making ANY effort that is special because, in this case, Mill Street could just focus on their corporate draught accounts and forget US guys buying a few special bottlles once a year. Cos where's the real money in that?
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:I have some 2004's as well! I might buy one 2008 just to see if it's different from the 2007.

M-S Barley Wine, even for the $12 cost is still a large and powerful 'rare' beer, probably being released more as a fun holiday treat than from evil profit motives... to be devil's advocate here! Christoffel jugs are costly too, but fun and I'm not buying too many of those either. Consider the "entertainment value."

I feel I am always piping up for breweries & bars making ANY effort that is special because, in this case, Mill Street could just focus on their corporate draught accounts and forget US guys buying a few special bottlles once a year. Cos where's the real money in that?

You're absolutely right.

But a 20% increase in the price point is not easy for everyone to swallow.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Like I say, I'm just not that impressed by a fancy bottle, at least not to the point that I am willing to pay more for it. Do you think people are buying Westvleteren for the packaging?

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

2004? The 2005 wasn't stellar, but it was certainly better than last years (way too much residual sweetness).

If the 2008 reviews are favourable, I MIGHT buy one.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I still have the damn bottle taking up space at my house from last year. I put it in the recycling and it got rejected. I refuse to take it back to the beer store, because I hate the beer store, but mainly because I seriously doubt they'll give me the $5 I actually paid for the bottle itself (or will they?).

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Oh I should also add that I didn't much care for the beer either.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

JesseM wrote:I still have the damn bottle taking up space at my house from last year. I put it in the recycling and it got rejected. I refuse to take it back to the beer store, because I hate the beer store, but mainly because I seriously doubt they'll give me the $5 I actually paid for the bottle itself (or will they?).
You'll just get your 20 cent deposit back that you paid when you bought it. However, maybe the brewery should offer the $4-5 dollars back if you bring it to them.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

I think the ceramic packaging is a pretty successful marketing ploy. Take Beau's for example, they charge just under $8 for a bottle of their kolsch. That's too rich for my blood, but every time I'm at the LCBO it's just flying off the shelves. For a seasonal product, I'd imagine it's fairly good at moving units, it certainly helps it stand out and makes those with lower beer IQs think that it's something special.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JesseM wrote:Oh I should also add that I didn't much care for the beer either.
Well it's no Hair Of The Dog ADAM, is it? (Thanks again, Lister!)

MS B-W has mainly curiosity value to me. Like that Beau's Lagered Ale stuff.
In Beerum Veritas

flip

Post by flip »

Belgian wrote: Well it's no Hair Of The Dog ADAM, is it? (Thanks again, Lister!)
...which I just happened to have last night, from the previous private order. Simply. Amazing. Stuff. Too bad the Doggy Claws from the same order...

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

SteelbackGuy wrote: However, maybe the brewery should offer the $4-5 dollars back if you bring it to them.
Bushwakker offered this when they bottled their absolutely fantastic SOB Barleywine and Centennial Wheatwine in 500ml ceramics. Not only was this some of the best beer I've ever tasted (if not the best, and I'm being dead serious), but with the deposit return, it ended up only costing about $5 per bottle.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

flip wrote:
Belgian wrote: Well it's no Hair Of The Dog ADAM...
...which I just happened to have last night, from the previous private order. Simply. Amazing. Stuff. Too bad the Doggy Claws from the same order...
The "DAVE" from this brewer is nearly the highest rated beer in the world, according to RB.

I was surprised how good the ADAM is. No capping issues! My most coveted stuff is the ADAM, and NOT because it's legendary (I can't taste legendariness in a beer.)
Last edited by Belgian on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas