Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What do you but with your bottle returns?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Jon Walker wrote:I only ever shop at TBS when I'm picking up boring beer for a party where I know the guests won't take advantage of my cellar (or wouldn't appreciate it).]
Jon, if you ever need someone to take advantage of your cellar I'm sure you'll find a few volunteers here... (BTW thank god for Giggsy)

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Bobsy wrote:(BTW thank god for Giggsy)
Indeed! He's such a brilliant player and magical just when you need a little miracle.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I take the money and run almost always. Maybe once or twice I pick up boring beer for 'the team' in the summer, but that's it. I'd buy better stuff if they'd drink it!
The last time I bought a 2-4 was about 1 year ago. I needed a t-shirt with no stores around, and TBS is always good for a "free shirt" case of garbage. I think 20 of the beers are still in the case.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Jon Walker wrote:
As for returns, I've usually been leaving them for the recycling gnomes to pick them out of our blue bins...but recently I started taking them back as a couple of disrespectful pickers kept leaving a mess and THEN one of them made off with our baby stroller (can you believe it?).

I no longer encourage pickers near my place - they make a lot of glass banging noise at 3am, and then steal my office keys from the car (!?!?) That's not nice scavenger behavior.
In Beerum Veritas

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Belgian wrote:
Jon Walker wrote:
As for returns, I've usually been leaving them for the recycling gnomes to pick them out of our blue bins...but recently I started taking them back as a couple of disrespectful pickers kept leaving a mess and THEN one of them made off with our baby stroller (can you believe it?).

I no longer encourage pickers near my place - they make a lot of glass banging noise at 3am, and then steal my office keys from the car (!?!?) That's not nice scavenger behavior.
They're the new racoons. I wonder how much these guys make? I think I'm going to ask next time I drop my empties off...

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Lots of people in my condo put their empties in the little recycling plastic bin in each floors garbage room. The cleaners make out like bandits with them. I've seen them load up 3-4 (at least) full sized suitcases of bottles into their car. Nice free money on the side. :D
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I'd like a corner drop-off to donate & let someone who needs the money collect 'em all.
In Beerum Veritas

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

I take them back when there is enough to make it worth my time.

If not I just trash them.

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

I never return the bottles, I leave them in our recycle room. As for TBS, it's close to me but I rarely go in (perhaps once a month) and even then it's just for a Mill St. brew or blanche de chambly, Guinness from time to time but otherwise I have zero interest in anything they stock.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Usually I make my returns once there is enough to buy me a sixer of something, makes the trip more worthwhile.

St Ambroise Oatmeal or Pale
Unibroue (any of them)
Tankhouse
Steamwhistle

Sadly enough, that covers pretty much everything I've bought there in the past 3 or 4 years.

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

For anyone in the Oak/Burlington area, I'd be happy to take any empties, especially the non-twist tops, off your hands for my homebrewing. I usually recycle a bottle after 4 or 5 uses.

I'd be happy to give you a couple of full ones in return.

Cheers,
J