Where do you drink your new beer?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

User avatar
Ralphus
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:43 pm
Location: Almonte, ON
Contact:

Where do you drink your new beer?

Postby Ralphus » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:18 pm

Let me throw out a scenario as it's one that I think we all hopefully find ourselves in with some regularity. You have returned home with a beer that you have been looking forward to trying for some time. The house has finally gone quiet and you're thinking about your latest find. This is no ordinary beer either.. the praise is unanimous and you went to some difficulty to acquire it. The question of course, is where do you drink it?

I'd love to paint a picture of myself sitting by a roaring fire with a pipe in my mouth and duvel glass in hand.. but I can't. It just wouldn't be true! I'm more often that not (and a little ashamed to admit it), right here, sitting at my kitchen table in front of a laptop!

What about everyone else?
matt7215
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2952
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:18 am
Location: Cambridge

Postby matt7215 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:28 pm

i love sitting infront of the TV on my couch enjoying well made beer but more then anything i love sitting in my office in front of the computer with a pint of magic!
User avatar
Bobsy
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2217
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:06 pm
Location: Maple
Contact:

Postby Bobsy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:13 am

Good question! A lot of the new beers I try are at the bar, so Volo and C'est What are usually at the top of the list. When I have a new bottle I'll usually have it in my living room, while I'm talking to the wife... in fact she'll usually end up drinking a lot of it too. I like the environment - its nice and relaxing and the perfect setting for chilling with a new brew. I'll also throw on some music that I feel is appropriate to my mood. I'd never drink in front of the computer... I see enough of those damn things in the day!
User avatar
woodpecker
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:53 am
Contact:

Postby woodpecker » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:28 am

in order of pref.

either:

- bring to a party to try and chat about.
- or at home, in front of the tv with friends around.
- if alone at home, while playing online poker.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9762
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Postby Belgian » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:49 am

Sometimes, over the kitchen counter island, while I'm cooking dinner. There's good overhead lighting to examine the appearance, and I can try the beer in alternate glassware, or easily grab other beers to compare side-by-side.

I think I get the 'geek of the day' award for saying that, yes? :lol:
In Beerum Veritas
devonsleigh
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:28 am

Postby devonsleigh » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:18 pm

Ideally I would be at home, ass on the couch, feet on the coffee table, one hand holding my beer and the other hand holding the remote, and the fiance at the ready to pour me my next bottle. a man can dream can't he?
kinguy
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:12 pm
Location: Mississauga

Postby kinguy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:36 pm

devonsleigh wrote:Ideally I would be at home, ass on the couch, feet on the coffee table, one hand holding my beer and the other hand holding the remote, and the fiance at the ready to pour me my next bottle. a man can dream can't he?


Ditto that!
Magni
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:18 pm
Location: Cabbagetown

Postby Magni » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:58 pm

Ideally, and usually I am in the kitchen, cooking up a scrumptious meal and enjoying some music, usually mozart or beethoven.
what can i say, i'm a sucker for the traditional.
User avatar
Ralphus
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:43 pm
Location: Almonte, ON
Contact:

Postby Ralphus » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:19 pm

I had some good times this fall drinking pumpkin beers while sitting out on my deck underneath the warmth of a patio heater - but the laptop was always there. I like to read about good beer while I'm drinking it!
D Derry
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:50 am
Location: Toronto

Postby D Derry » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:11 pm

Magni wrote: . . .and enjoying some music, usually mozart or beethoven.
what can i say, i'm a sucker for the traditional.


Like Magni, music complements my happy (hoppy--I couldn't resist) evening wind-downs, although I tend to the baroque and earlier. As I sniff my way through a heady chalice (alas, sans Ralphus's imaginary pipe), the elastics of my day slacken and my senses enliven. Needless to say, some nights I become a little "slacker" than others.
User avatar
HogTownHarry
Posts: 230
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:53 am
Location: Harbourfront

Postby HogTownHarry » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:17 pm

Either in the company of like-minded beer obsessives, for each of whom it is also a new experience, or sitting in my muskoka chair on my balcony overlooking the harbour, watching the sailboats and lovely skaters go by, small planes taking off and landing from the Island Airport (I'm a fan), notebook computer fired up, a couple of poker games going, listening to some blues and keeping one eye on the ballgame through the french doors. Did all of the above (sans ballgame) last Friday afternoon.
midlife crisis
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1952
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:00 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby midlife crisis » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:29 pm

Sunday afternoon, with either NFL or golf on in hi-def depending on the season, and something tasty slow-cooking in the oven.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9762
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Postby Belgian » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:21 pm

HogTownHarry wrote:...or sitting in my muskoka chair on my balcony overlooking the harbour, watching the sailboats and lovely skaters go by, small planes taking off and landing from the Island Airport (I'm a fan), notebook computer fired up, a couple of poker games going, listening to some blues and keeping one eye on the ballgame through the french doors. Did all of the above (sans ballgame) last Friday afternoon.


Did you forget the cigar, the pizza slice & the 2 Swedes both named Inga?
In Beerum Veritas
User avatar
Garthicus
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Postby Garthicus » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:15 pm

HogTownHarry wrote:Either in the company of like-minded beer obsessives, for each of whom it is also a new experience, or sitting in my muskoka chair on my balcony overlooking the harbour, watching the sailboats and lovely skaters go by, small planes taking off and landing from the Island Airport (I'm a fan), notebook computer fired up, a couple of poker games going, listening to some blues and keeping one eye on the ballgame through the french doors. Did all of the above (sans ballgame) last Friday afternoon.


I can vouch that I have a) seen Harry do this and b) joined him doing it! Yes Harry - your balcony is heaven :-)

I love the like minded company when enjoying a beer, whether it be in someones home or in a bar.
User avatar
Derek
Beer Superstar
Posts: 3192
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:11 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC
Contact:

Postby Derek » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:50 pm

I'm often one of the sad geeks that sits in front the computer. Though I often have a PVR window up as well... real-time is for chumps.
Last edited by Derek on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Random Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests