What your choice of brew says about you!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

woodpecker

What your choice of brew says about you!

Postby woodpecker » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:19 am

We all know about "body language" but what about "beer language"? Beer can say a lot about a person, and we asked what it was saying to you.

Check out the results here:
http://www.fastlife.ca/beer-survey.html

& a related story here:
http://www.canada.com/topics/lifestyle/ ... 42a7dfe6ce

Interesting but lacking of any CASK product. Some drink for thought the next time you step up to the bar to order though!
devonsleigh

Postby devonsleigh » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:21 pm

I don't get surveys like that. Its like asking which clothing brand makes you look more like a college douche, A&F, Hollister, or Aeropostale. Its all the same crap with negligible marketing differences.
matt7215
Beer Superstar

Postby matt7215 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:31 pm

OMG i never knew that drinking Stella would make me Sexy, Classy, and popular. Thanks for the tips!

:D
Ralphus

Postby Ralphus » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:58 pm

It is amazing what marketing can do. Many Canadians believe Stella to be a sexy and sophisticated beer, whereas I've been told that in the UK it's commonly referred to as "wife-beater".

I think many people (none of which are on this forum) are more likely to regularly buy a beer based on the marketed image and perceived identity than on the actual merits of the drink. A little sad really.. but maybe no different than how many people purchase other items (cars, computers, etc)?
Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Postby Bytowner » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:47 am

Ralphus, Stella is just as hyped in the UK as it is here. It's in Belgium that it's referred to as "wife-beater".
Jan Primus

Postby Jan Primus » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:13 am

I have heard people from the UK call Stella "wife-beater beer" as well.
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Postby Belgian » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:16 am

Wifebeater! Sounds like a reference to Brando's Stanley Kowalski. "Streetcar" is an excellent movie.

"StelLaaa STEEELLLAAA!!!" :lol:
In Beerum Veritas
Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Postby Bobsy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:30 am

Belgian wrote:Wifebeater! Sounds like a reference to Brando's Stanley Kowalski. "Streetcar" is an excellent movie.

Bartowel is becoming far too sophisticated for my liking, Belgian, but surely you meant to say that Streetcar was a brilliant play? :wink:
Steve Beaumont

Postby Steve Beaumont » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:05 pm

Bobsy wrote:
Belgian wrote:Wifebeater! Sounds like a reference to Brando's Stanley Kowalski. "Streetcar" is an excellent movie.

Bartowel is becoming far too sophisticated for my liking, Belgian, but surely you meant to say that Streetcar was a brilliant play? :wink:

You would discount Brando and Leigh in the film. As Frank Magazine used to say, shurely shome mistake!

The "wifebeater" tag, BTW, is definitely English in origin and usage; I've not heard the reference once in all of my trips to Belgium or communications with Belgians. On a related note, Stella Legere is now being referred to in England as "babybeater."
icemachine
Beer Superstar

Postby icemachine » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:25 pm

I thought the difference between the Regular and Legere, was that some of those horses had developed diabetes.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole
Garthicus

Postby Garthicus » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:48 pm

It's most definitely a UK term, I've heard it used hundreds of times, it's even used in Ireland.

Wife Beater - Stella Artois, a British slang term based on the supposed behavioural effects of the drink

Return to “Random Talk”