Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

NEW U.S. LISTING

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Garthicus wrote:Then we'll get you a talking book
:lol: Well played my friend. Well played.

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

Had Prima Pils on tap at the Pizza Plant in Buffalo on Monday. Fine beer. Good on ya, esprit!

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Any update on this one Esprit? Still looking forward to it..

Timmy

Post by Timmy »

I was wondering about this one myself. Really excited.

We gotta make sure we buy lots of this beer. I would love to see us get some Hop Devil or Hop Whallop in our stores.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Yes, they have a ton of other great brews:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/345/?sort=avgD

Hopefully it's here for the summer, I think we're actually lacking in German Pils.

I think we've only got Steamwhistle (which can be hit or miss, though I should give the cans a chance), Grand River (great for a Hallertau fix, though it's boardering on a Helles & isn't widely distributed), and a few lackluster imports.

Whereas for the Czech style, we've got Stratford, King, Stonehammer, Creemore and a plethora of imports.

Definitely looking forward to it... hopefully the economy hasn't screwed us over.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Derek wrote:Yes, they have a ton of other great brews:

Hopefully it's here for the summer, I think we're actually lacking in German Pils.

I think we've only got Steamwhistle (which can be hit or miss, though I should give the cans a chance), Grand River (great for a Hallertau fix, though it's boardering on a Helles & isn't widely distributed), and a few lackluster imports.

Whereas for the Czech style, we've got Stratford, King, Stonehammer, Creemore and a plethora of imports.

Definitely looking forward to it... hopefully the economy hasn't screwed us over.
I politely disagree. Other than the local micro selection we do not get a 'plethora' of Czech imports. The only really good two are PU and Budvar, the other 3 really are not that great, though they are not bad. Stonehammer really is not a Czech pils in my mind, nor is it classified as one on RB, not that RB is the definitive authority on style classifications but it is classified as a German Pils on that site which counts for something. I've always found Stratford's Pils to be neither Saazy nor consistent at all, every bottle is different and not in a good way.

Although I do agree that most of the import German pilseners we get at the LCBO are on the whole kind of lack-luster, and you would think in such abundance there would be a stand-out or two, but there really is not. Warsteiner and Radeberger would be my favourites from the list, and even then I don't really enjoy them that much. Creemore Pils is alright on tap but every can I've ever had has been a total corny mess. King is pretty damn good but I really wish I could get to try their dark lager or Pilsbock, as they aren't available retail anywhere near me and not even the castle ever had either on tap.

But, lately my tastes have evened out between to the two distinctions. I used to lean more towards the Czech and maybe still do, but Hacker-Pschorr Braumeister Pils, which is available on tap in Ontario, is one of my absolute favourite beers. I really hope this Victory Prima Pils is actually a legite German styled Pilsener and not a bastardized American excuse. To be specific, Slyfox Pikeland Pils is a great example of how to totally destroy and insult a style. All American hops and no soul, no malts, nothing but yellow hopped-up water (but thanks for sharing that can a while back anyways Matt :P).

Other than Hacker-Pschorr Edelhell I don't think we get enough legitimate examples of German Helles either, although 'not enough lagers' is probably pretty low on the priority list of complaints with the LCBO :lol: .

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Yeah, I tend to think of some of the Euro-lagers as Czech-like... even though they're a bastardization of the style (and have become a style of their own).

I don't think I've ever had a corny mess from Creemore. Molson tightened up the filtering, and I think it lost some flavour, but it's still quite good. BTW, this year's Urbock seems a little hoppier than a couple years ago.

I love the Stratford on tap. Not sure what's different, but it seems a little more malt-forward.

The stonehammer was developed as a Czech Pils, though even the current brewer says it's more German in style. But while the malt is part of the style, I tend to think that a German Pils really needs more than Saaz hops.

Yeah, I hate it when local ingredients are used to knock-off a classic style. Fortunately, the Prima looks like the real deal:
http://www.victorybeer.com/pils.html

That said, the slyfox sounds promising too (I haven't tried either):
http://www.slyfoxbeer.com/index.php/front/beer_pils

Now Labatt Blue 'Pilsner' is serious insult to the style.

I don't think we don't get enough German stuff period. :D

Dokta Owange

Post by Dokta Owange »

Prima Pils is the real deal.
It is not bastardized (mmmm....Arrogant Bastard), and as a Hop Head I usually don't get too excited about Pilsners (due to the mediocre selection we have at our fingertips) - this one I can't wait for!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Derek wrote:Yeah, I tend to think of some of the Euro-lagers as Czech-like... even though they're a bastardization of the style (and have become a style of their own).

I don't think I've ever had a corny mess from Creemore. Molson tightened up the filtering, and I think it lost some flavour, but it's still quite good. BTW, this year's Urbock seems a little hoppier than a couple years ago.

I love the Stratford on tap. Not sure what's different, but it seems a little more malt-forward.

The stonehammer was developed as a Czech Pils, though even the current brewer says it's more German in style. But while the malt is part of the style, I tend to think that a German Pils really needs more than Saaz hops.

Yeah, I hate it when local ingredients are used to knock-off a classic style. Fortunately, the Prima looks like the real deal:
http://www.victorybeer.com/pils.html

That said, the slyfox sounds promising too (I haven't tried either):
http://www.slyfoxbeer.com/index.php/front/beer_pils

Now Labatt Blue 'Pilsner' is serious insult to the style.

I don't think we don't get enough German stuff period. :D

I'm with you on the Creemore, Derek. I've had nothing but 100% consistency in terms of both their lager and anniversary pils. No corn in anything I have had from them. And I really like the Anniv. pils. It is spicy, hoppy, quite floral, and very tasty. I just don't buy it cause the money goes to Molson.

The Stratford when fresh, is a very acceptable pils, if a little sweet on occasion. However, my experiences with this beer is hit and miss in terms of when I can get it, and if the place I go is actually using a recently cleaned line. Bottles of this stuff should be avoided as I have had quite a few flat bottles.

We get the Stonehammer here on occasion, and I always find it in good shape.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Yes, they have a ton of other great brews:
Wow - that is an impressive looking lineup.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

We just received the final letter from the LCBO today on the Victory Prima Pils. We now have label approval, 6 pack approval and carton approval but we must now once again confirm everything in writing in a multiple page letter. That will happen within the next week or so and then we're probably looking at 2-3 months before it hits the shelves. Other Victory products coming in on seasonal are a different story. PP will have a Canadian back label. Demand for Victory's products in the U.S. is huge and jumping through labelling hoops for a few hundred cases of any beer every year or two or more just doesn't make economic sense.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

esprit wrote:We just received the final letter from the LCBO today on the Victory Prima Pils. We now have label approval, 6 pack approval and carton approval but we must now once again confirm everything in writing in a multiple page letter. That will happen within the next week or so and then we're probably looking at 2-3 months before it hits the shelves.
I'm hugely excited about this one. While we don't get many US beers here, the ones we do get are truly world-class. A virtual high-five is heading your way.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I too, have been enjoying cheeseburgers a lot more lately. I tried cutting out red meat and adding these tuna burger patties, but it just isn't the same.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Dokta Owange wrote:Prima Pils is the real deal. ... and as a Hop Head I usually don't get too excited about Pilsners (due to the mediocre selection we have at our fingertips) - this one I can't wait for!
Fair enough, but -- Christoffel? :-? No??

I look forward to this Pils to bust us all out of these 'what's gonna happen in this recession?" blues!
In Beerum Veritas

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Prima Pils can't get here fast enough. Nothing would be nicer than a long summer spent drinking Prima Pils.