Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

How many beers do you have?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

How many beers do you have?

Post by Bobsy »

I've been reading a thread on beeradvocate where people have been discussing how may beers they have in their house at any given time, and this got me wondering how much us local guys keep on hand.

Right now I probably have the equivalent of 2 24s at home, mostly 12oz and bombers that I have brought back from vacations or obtained through trades. I fluctuate between having lots and having absolutely nothing, partly because there is a battle in my head between wanting to have a nice spread of beer, and realising that I have absolutely no space for it until we get a house. However, looking at the upcoming winter release, and factoring in my Rogue order, I can see myself having the equivalent of 4 or 5 24s by the end of January.

So how about you guys? Are there any serious cellars going on, or does you stash just occupy the salad crisper?
Last edited by Bobsy on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magni

Post by Magni »

currently, my beers occupy no space, since I've long since quaffed all my more wonderful beers and there is a lcbo and a beer store at the end of my street.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

I pick up a few bottles of things when I can get them, mostly from Bieropholie or travelling friends and family. I usually have between 350 and 400 bottles and between 160 and 200 different labels.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Approximately 20 cases.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

i usually have between 2 and 4 cases of homebrew and at least a case of either Muskoka Lager or Gold Crown Kings Pilsner. then i have my cellar of treats whick usually ranges between a case and 3 cases depending trips to the states and trades.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

I have 5 Fuller's Vintage 2007, 8 Thomas Hardy's 2007, 3 bottles of Unibroue 17, a bottle of Trois Monts, 2 bottles of Aventinus from last year's release, 3 bottles of Fruli (from the gift pack), 3 bottles of Samuel Smith stuff (gift pack), 1 Hobgoblin, 1 Mill Street Barley Wine from last year and 4 bottles of Westy 12. Unfortunately I'm having some stomach problems so I can't touch any of them! :oops:

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

I think I'm down to about 200 bottles now. I did have just over 280 a while back, but I have very thirsty friends!!!!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

It fluctuates, hopefully within six to ten cases!

It's hard not to stock up on LCBO beers that are extremely age-worthy, because the home-convenience and price-value are exceptional... what 6-7 exotic beers would cost you going out allows you to buy a full 24 case... which if you buy well can be traded for years!

You really can't lose if you have good storage.
In Beerum Veritas

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

This is a similar thread to the one I started about pix of our beer cellars.
http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic ... 97&start=0
My pic there doesn't include most of my barley wine stock or the contents of the beer fridge that sits beside that shelf...plus that was my stock back when the pic was taken, obviously it's changed since then.

I currently have about 50-60 bombers (or larger) and about 200 regular bottles (that's down by about half from this time last year when I was working more, travelling more and could afford to keep a silly number of beers on hand). At least 85% of my current stock is stuff that can (or has been) aged for some time. The other 15% is stuff that won't last (like IPA's), stuff that is earmarked for specific things or my regular standby beers that I have on non-sampling nights.

Then there's about a dozen "industrial" beers lying around, usually left overs from people who brought them to a social event here and which I have no desire to touch. I have a bottle of Carlsberg in the fridge that's been there for at least 3 years...wonder how that's aging?
Last edited by Jon Walker on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

I'm impressed! I have about 85 bottles last time I checked, in my parents' cellar. I've been collecting since I began rating in 2000.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I've got 6 cases and a 3.5 foot stocked beer fridge. 2 of the cases are aging LCBO releases, 2 cases are beers I've brought back from my travels or that friends have brought back for me and 2 cases are expedient beers with limited shelf life that are priorities to make it into the beer fridge. I've also got a shelf in the living room of about 20 bottles that are boxed or have opaque bottles that can stand up to sunlight (Fullers Vintage, Rougue XS stuff, Delerium etc.).

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Jon Walker wrote:This is a similar thread to the one I started about pix of our beer cellars.
Jon is the only guy who warns BT he is going to clear out several local stores.

Having a few hardcore collectors on-board is helpful, because you get to learn what beers are meant for keeping a few years, or even much longer.
In Beerum Veritas

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Jon Walker wrote:This is a similar thread to the one I started about pix of our beer cellars.
http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic ... 97&start=0
Yeah, I actually remembered that one and reread it before I posted. It seemed to focus more on location and storage than quantity, which was something I've been wondering about lately.

Damn, if only I had a realistic beer cellar that doesn't double as an apartment building storage locker. Your pictures made me jealous!

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Belgian wrote:Jon is the only guy who warns BT he is going to clear out several local stores.
Those "clearing out" days are over for the time being. My industry is suffering badly with the current economic downturn and that impacts my beer cash flow. Mostly sticking to buying a handful of beers now and then and certainly not lavishing large quantities of stuff on friends and family. Sadly the pic of my beer cellar by the end of the year will be pretty pathetic if things don't get better by then.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Some of you have very impressive collections.

I'm at about 2 cases at the moment.. one is DFH 60, the other is a mix. Would love to get into some cellaring but with a lack of space and not really being able to justify the high upfront costs I have may to hold off for a while. Having stock on hand to trade would sure be nice though.