Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Ontario Brews (what would you like to see?)

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

pootz wrote: A real Vienna or Marzen such as they make at LTM Brasserie.
I'll second that one!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

lagerale wrote:
pootz wrote: A real Vienna or Marzen such as they make at LTM Brasserie.
I'll second that one!
I'll third that. But they've gotta use continental malt (and hops, though they play a supporting role). Too many new world versions try to supplement domestic malt with a little crystal... and it just doesn't work.

I think Grand River could do a good Octoberfest Marzen... heck, they could just throw a little Vienna and/or Munich malt into their Pils (though I'd add a little tettnanger as well).

austin

Post by austin »

Would like to see some bottled conditioned ale from the local guys.
I'm sure it would involve a higher cost but the extra flavour would be
great.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I would like to see more "age-worthy" beers. Session beers are great and all, but I'd like to see more attempts at the bigger styles... seems to be lacking across Canada.

There is also a lack of Belgian-inspired ales outside of Quebec, and the few I've tried don't cut the mustard.

And a variety of quality, authentic lagers would be nice; if one has the equipment to make a basic pale lager, they most certainly can make an agressive pils and malty VMOs, bocks, etc.

One thing I don't need is more "gimmick" beers; I'm talking honey, maple, orange-peel, fruits, spices, etc. Learn how to make good beer first before spicing/fruiting it up!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

markaberrant wrote:I would like to see more "age-worthy" beers. Session beers are great and all, but I'd like to see more attempts at the bigger styles... seems to be lacking across Canada.

There is also a lack of Belgian-inspired ales outside of Quebec, and the few I've tried don't cut the mustard.
some ontario made belgian inspired ales would be an awesome addition to the OCB. a brewery dedicated to brewing belgian inspired brews would be killer. id even settle for having a wider variety of Unibroue products availible locally but that still wouldnt be as good as a micro/brew pub brewing belgian inspired ales in ontario.

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

An oatmeal stout.

A Grand River porter - nice and malty, but light enough on the alcohol that you can drink a half dozen without exploding.

And whoever said a Hockley Valley ESB, that'd be awesome.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Illuminatus wrote:A Grand River porter - nice and malty, but light enough on the alcohol that you can drink a half dozen without exploding.
You mean like the mild they already produce? What would be the point in making a low alcohol porter when you already make a superb low alcohol, bags-of-flavour mild?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Torontoblue wrote:
Illuminatus wrote:A Grand River porter - nice and malty, but light enough on the alcohol that you can drink a half dozen without exploding.
You mean like the mild they already produce? What would be the point in making a low alcohol porter when you already make a superb low alcohol, bags-of-flavour mild?
i agree that the mild that grand river makes is similar to a porter......that being said, if grand river made a stout/porter in the range of 5.5%-7.5% it could truely be something special.