Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Ontario Brews (what would you like to see?)

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

New Ontario Brews (what would you like to see?)

Post by matt7215 »

Here's what Id love to see happen within the OCB:

IPA - with the Scotch Irish in rappid decline we need a solid, bottled IPA. Durham makes some good ones but Id love to see a really good bottled IPA and if I could pick a brewer to make a good one Id pick Grand River

Imperial Stout - with the Wellington County IS becoming less available having a Ontario brewed IS would be awesome. The most logical choice for the brewer of this IMO is Mill Street, after all they already have a $12 ceramic bottled barley wine. John By is of course the best current local IS but we will see if this years compares to last years, hopefully it does.

ESB - Hockley Valley or Neustadt please make an ESB

but if I could pick just one thing Id love to see:

Denison's Weizenbock

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

No access to local wheat beers in Eastern Ontario and, given there predisposition to German style brews I'd like to see a Hefeweizen from Beau's as a summer release.

I would echo the ESB.

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

When I was last at Grand River, I asked about the rumor of them working on a stout. They said there was no definite plans for the stout, but that they were planning on an IPA sometime early next year.

Very much looking forward to giving that a try.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Denison's - while I'm not sure how the hefe would compare bottled to fresh, I would love to see the dunkel available on shelves.

Grand River - keep on producing fantastic new seasonals along with the solid core lineup. If anyone can pull of an imperial stout it would be these guys.

Black Oak - get Nutcracker on the LCBO seasonal/xmas list so I don't have to go to the brewery for it!

Mill Street - bring back the distillery ale!

OCB brewers - get creative with the beer names! Someone (anyone?) make a dman good IPA that will give those yankee brews their ass on a plate.

LCBO - expand the seasonal program so local brewers can buy shelf space for a year and decide what new seasonals to put on it.

Milds?

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

A nice dark and rich dopplebock would be just great. Or a solid attempt at a Baltic Porter maybe? And if any OCB brewer wants to go nuts and try a Gueze Lambic, I'm all for it!

Magni

Post by Magni »

A nice strong, full bodied IPA reminiscent of Granite, Garrison and Propeller.

I'd like to see Great Lakes pull out a nice porter as well.

Queef

Post by Queef »

Bytowner wrote:No access to local wheat beers in Eastern Ontario and, given there predisposition to German style brews I'd like to see a Hefeweizen from Beau's as a summer release.
The summer altbier was pretty succesful though, and when they are complimenting the lighter Kolch style main beer with a seasonal, I imagine they'll stick to darker ones.
it's beer o'clock.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

matt7215 wrote:
Denison's Weizenbock
That would be Cool... although Michael's Weisse is probably way more feasible as a product with so many draught accounts.

Many of your other beer ideas do seem possible & relevant to the brewer!
In Beerum Veritas

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

matt7215 wrote: ESB - Hockley Valley or Neustadt please make an ESB
I think I remember tasting a Neustadt bitter at the the previous 2 C'est What festivals, but it would be nice if they bottled it. I had a couple of the Double Fuggles on cask the other night and it seems to have changed to more of a bitter style - it was very nice and reminiscent of what Arkell used to be.
And ditto for a hoppy IPA and and Imperial Stout.

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

I'd like to see more bubbly gold, mildly grainy, slightly sweet pale lagers.

What?!!

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Cask ales that drop bright and taste like beers in England. While I enjoy beers using North American hops, we need more cask beers IMO that have the estery, rounded flavours of the best English beers.

Gary

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

A fresh hop IPA (or even just a great pale ale) using locally grown hops...
http://www.thestar.com/article/496240

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

old faithful wrote:Cask ales that drop bright.
Gary, that's a tall order for the majority of pubs in the UK, so we've little chance of it happening here :lol:

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Denison's dunkel in bottles and widely distributed.

A rich IPA in the APA (anchor liberty) pacific NW tradtion

A malty single bock that is easily sessionable ...like Ayinger winterbock

A real Vienna or Marzen such as they make at LTM Brasserie.

...shall I hold my breath waiting? :roll:
Aventinus rules!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

pootz wrote: A rich IPA in the APA (anchor liberty) pacific NW tradtion

...shall I hold my breath waiting? :roll:
An IPA in the APA tradition. Kind of a contradiction there, isn't it? 2 different styles of ales, for a start. Plus, Anchor Liberty isn't a NW Pacific ale. Isn't San Fran kinda south west?

No wonder the Ontario brewers don't do much new stuff as the current drinkers are confused as to what they want, and as to what is which :lol: