Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Brooklyn black chocolate not coming

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Brooklyn black chocolate not coming

Post by tuqueboy »

Hey folks.
Was curious about the timing of Black Chocolate's arrival, so I sent an e-mail to the agent (given how inaccurate the official channels can sometimes be in terms of timing), and I got some bad news. The Black Chocolate isn't coming in this year. Before we all shit upon the LCBO in unison, this one is actually not their fault. It's a sad side effect of the well-documented fire at Matt Brewing in Utica, where most of Brooklyn's stuff -- including the Black Chocolate -- is made. Brooklyn's labelling line was there too, and that, apparently, was the main problem. As for why the pumpkin ale made it here, the agent said they were able to get the label printed up here, but it was so prohibitively expensive, they decided not to do it for the black chocolate stout. they sounded hopeful that the lcbo will bring it in next winter. given that the lcbo actually seems to be opening their eyes to u.s. craft stuff, perhaps they actually will bring it in.
--tuqueboy

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

you just made me cry :(

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Sooooo disapointed! That was my most anticipated LCBO beer of the winter release. What crappy news, but understandable. For the love of God I hope the LCBO doesn't pass on it next year.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

What's surprising is that I'm not surprised.

However Brooklyn's presence in Ontario is obviously a positive benefit, so let's keep drinking Brooklyn Lager, probably the cheapest beer for the hops in it.
In Beerum Veritas

rudolf

Post by rudolf »

tuqueboy wrote:Hey folks.
Was curious about the timing of Black Chocolate's arrival, so I sent an e-mail to the agent (given how inaccurate the official channels can sometimes be in terms of timing), and I got some bad news. The Black Chocolate isn't coming in this year. Before we all shit upon the LCBO in unison, this one is actually not their fault. It's a sad side effect of the well-documented fire at Matt Brewing in Utica, where most of Brooklyn's stuff -- including the Black Chocolate -- is made. Brooklyn's labelling line was there too, and that, apparently, was the main problem. As for why the pumpkin ale made it here, the agent said they were able to get the label printed up here, but it was so prohibitively expensive, they decided not to do it for the black chocolate stout. they sounded hopeful that the lcbo will bring it in next winter. given that the lcbo actually seems to be opening their eyes to u.s. craft stuff, perhaps they actually will bring it in.
--tuqueboy
That sucks. Just curious though, Black Chocolate is available everywhere here in Buffalo - bottles (and I'm assuming draught). How could a fire in a packaging plant, which seems to havey been addressed based on what is availble here in Buffalo - has impacted you guys. The fire didn't (AFAIK) impact the volume of beer FX Matt was able to produce.

-rudy

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

boney wrote:Sooooo disapointed! That was my most anticipated LCBO beer of the winter release....
My sentiments exactly.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

rudolf wrote:

That sucks. Just curious though, Black Chocolate is available everywhere here in Buffalo - bottles (and I'm assuming draught). How could a fire in a packaging plant, which seems to havey been addressed based on what is availble here in Buffalo - has impacted you guys. The fire didn't (AFAIK) impact the volume of beer FX Matt was able to produce.

-rudy

two reasons:
--volume in time for the seasonal release. no offence to buffalo, but all the stores in western new york combined wouldn't have as much as the lcbo was going to order for even a handful of its stores. they were pushing this one in their free giveaway food and drink magazine, so they were fully behind this one.
--the labelling line was out for a while. a special label is required for the ontario market.

rudolf

Post by rudolf »

tuqueboy wrote:
rudolf wrote:

-rudy

two reasons:
--volume in time for the seasonal release. no offence to buffalo, but all the stores in western new york combined wouldn't have as much as the lcbo was going to order for even a handful of its stores. they were pushing this one in their free giveaway food and drink magazine, so they were fully behind this one.
--the labelling line was out for a while. a special label is required for the ontario market.
I just question because I haven't heard about any impact on BCS in the states. Its a hugely distributed beer produced in very large quantities. I haven't seen/heard about other widely distributed beers being negatively impacted by the fire either.

I understand Ontario's ridiculous requirements for labeling having a potential impact, but since the liquid production facility wasn't impacted, it seems odd that they are unable to add a simple "strong beer/biere forte" (sp? Sorry.) note on the label to satisfty the LCBO.

-rudy

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

What is this... bad news day? I was going to buy a case of the Brooklyn, but perhaps I should spend that money on the Sam Smith's Impy and the John By instead. God, I have the John By is good this year!

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Bobsy wrote:God, I have the John By is good this year!
Ditto. If it blows I don't think I'll be able to take it.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Alberta got their shipment of BCS a few weeks ago, although I believe the price has gone up substantially.