Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cold Season

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ralphus

Cold Season

Post by Ralphus »

Anyone else sick with a cold and avoiding their beer knowing it just won't be the same? My sense of taste and smell have been completely shot for the past four days. I tried a dogfish 60 and it was all wrong.. any fruitiness was gone and replacing it was a strong soya taste.

Stupid rhinovirus! If you're going to make us stay home all day at least let us drink good beer!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Apparently if your sinuses are clogged for 3 weeks, you have a high risk of sinusitis. I finally saw a doctor after 5.5 wks, then went on antibiotics for 3 wks. That really sucked, but surprisingly my sense of smell wasn't affected for much of that time.

Now a couple of years ago I had a cold & lost all sense of smell & taste. When it finally came back, things actually tasted different. I sort of had to re-train my senses. Looking back at old reviews really hammered the point that taste really can be perceived differently.

Gesundheit & Prost.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

I usually turn to scotch and bourbon when I feel a cold coming. It tends to keep it at bay.

An ounce before going to sleep and voila!

Love the stuff!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Zinc lozenges seem to work well. The zinc inhibits virus multiplication & gives your immune system a fighting chance.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

iguenard wrote:I usually turn to scotch and bourbon when I feel a cold coming. It tends to keep it at bay.

An ounce before going to sleep and voila!

Love the stuff!
You're my sort of guy!

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Thai Chicken Noodle soup - the chile, cilantro and lime combine to kick your cold's ass like nothing else.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

For many years now Ernest Angley has cured people who had lost their sense of smell...try one of his crusades...thow foul smelling spirits COME OUT!!!! Put your hands on the screen or whatever part ails you...ended up with some strange imprints on my TV.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Scotch and peppermint tea, but not at the same time :)

If that doesn't work, at least you'll have great minty breath

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I was just telling a fellow BT'er that a good saline rinse for the sinuses is a great way to prevent a cold from ruining a couple weeks of your life. Use a neti pot (or even better the popular "Nasaline" plunger kit) found at any health store along with warm water and sea-salt (or "Nasaline" salt.)

This really works for sinus problems (where colds usually begin to take hold.) AND I can continue to taste and smell properly! It's worth the effort.
In Beerum Veritas

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

icemachine wrote:Thai Chicken Noodle soup - the chile, cilantro and lime combine to kick your cold's ass like nothing else.
Yes, or anything with lots of chile and garlic.

The other possible strategy is to treat yourself so poorly that no virus would want to inhabit your body. Kind of a scorched earth strategy.

Remember. hops are supposed to add lots of vitamin C! Maybe we could get Health Canada to work up a decent IPA. :D

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

sprague11 wrote:Scotch and peppermint tea, but not at the same time :)

If that doesn't work, at least you'll have great minty breath
Only if the scotch comes first. ;)