Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer for a Party

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Beer for a Party

Post by Bobsy »

We're having a Christmas party on Friday with about 20+ friends coming and I was wondering what recommendations you guys could give me for beer to stock the fridge with. This is a variation of the old 'what do you give non-craft drinkers' question that comes up occasionally, but is strictly limited to easy to pick up bottled beer or Toronto growlers. Are beers like Anchor Steam, King Pilsner and Black Oak Pale acceptable to the Corona set or will they think I'm trying to poison them.

What would you guys serve at a party?

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Or-f***ing-val.

Sorry Ratebeer has conditioned me to expect Orval to be mentioned in every thread like this within 2 posts of the original question. Mentioning it here makes me feel better about RB being attacked again :P.

denguy

Post by denguy »

I've found that the Golden Horseshoe Premium Lager is an excellent converter beer.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Stonehammer has proven a good gateway beer for some of my diehard MolBat friends. Surprisingly Steam Whistle is also a big hit. As far as something outside of the lager category I'd suggest Cameron's Auburn or Creemore (granted, still a lager but a little more flavourful than some macro lager drinkers are used to).
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I'd agree with Jon's suggestions, and add Black Oak Pale to the list.

Personally, I wouldn't suggest any of the Great Lakes lagers. As much as I like the beers they've launched in the last couple of years, I'm still not a fan of their lagers, and don't see the point of using a beer that is relatively indistinguishable from most mainstream lagers as a "gateway" into craft beer. Something with at least a bit more flavour and aroma would be a better idea, I think.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Bobsy wrote:We're having a Christmas party on Friday with about 20+ friends coming and I was wondering what recommendations you guys could give me for beer to stock the fridge with. This is a variation of the old 'what do you give non-craft drinkers' question that comes up occasionally, but is strictly limited to easy to pick up bottled beer or Toronto growlers. Are beers like Anchor Steam, King Pilsner and Black Oak Pale acceptable to the Corona set or will they think I'm trying to poison them.

What would you guys serve at a party?
anchor steam's always been well-received by my poker pals, who aren't exactly beer saavy.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Agree about the Camerons Auburns suggestion. Anchor steam is a decent cross over as well and maybe consider throwing some Beau's Lug Tread Lagered Ale in the mix too.

You may want to have some Coors light or something else recognizable on hand. As much as we all love change, there's many people out there that aren't as flexible.

Good luck.. sounds like fun.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

camerons cream ale, steam whistle, black oak pale ale, camerons auburn, all seem like good choices to me. dont buy a case of coors light, if you need to buy a case of lager buy muskoka premium lager, and if you need to buy a case of macro try upper canada lager or molson stock ale.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Thanks for all the recommendations! It sounds like the consensus is with Cameron's Auburn, Stonehammer and Black Oak Pale, so that's what I'll go with. Not bad beers to have left over either!

Cheers!

denguy

Post by denguy »

GregClow wrote:Personally, I wouldn't suggest any of the Great Lakes lagers. As much as I like the beers they've launched in the last couple of years, I'm still not a fan of their lagers, and don't see the point of using a beer that is relatively indistinguishable from most mainstream lagers as a "gateway" into craft beer.
That's exactly the point: a beer similar to the mainstream lagers. I would rather see people buying that then Bud. It does--in the very least--put craft breweries on their minds.

I've converted a few people with it. "Try this--the taste is good and the price is right, so why not have you money stay local?"

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

GregClow wrote:I'd agree with Jon's suggestions, and add Black Oak Pale to the list.
Also agree with the above and would add most of the Mill Street stuff - a lot of people have now heard of them and are keen to try it. Stock Ale is easy but some will go for the Tankhouse.