Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

If you could persuade an importer...

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

If you could persuade an importer...

Post by Bobsy »

So, I was thinking about some of the great breweries available at the LCBO, and the brews that we have in to represent them. Then I began to think about some of the great beers these breweries bottled that were not available at the LCBO and I got a little sad. If you could persuade our friendly beer importers to bring in other offerings from breweries we already have available to us (which is a damn sight more realistic than hoping for Stone and Lost Abbey) what would you ask for?

Off the top of my head I'd like to see Southern Tier Winter Ale or Harvest Ale, Sam Smith's Taddy Porter and the Schneider-Brooklyner Hopfen-weisse. Also mentioning Brooklyn...how about the entire portfolio and ditto for Dogfish Head?

So what would everyone else love to see from the breweries already on the LCBO books?

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

I'd like to see Hop Devil and Storm King back at the LCBO.

Or Moretti La Rossa for that matter. Nothing comparable currently on the shelves anywhere near.

I second Dogfish tho... wouldnt mind going into a local pub one day and be surprised by a fresh 1/6 keg of 120 min IPA after a hockey game. At 12$ a pitcher ;)

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I just thought of another I would love to see... we have Anchor Steam and Anchor Liberty so how about Anchor Our Special Ale? I'm also betting some of those East European breweries do a mean baltic porter.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I would love to see Anchor Old Foghorn and Rogue Shakespear Stout as Winter Warmers in the following years.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Do you mean beers you'd like to see the importers bring in as special orders or beers you'd like them to have listed at the LCBO? Obviously the importers often pitch beers from their client breweries other than the ones currently available at the LCBO but they don't get picked by the selection committee. However, unless the brewery is unwilling to supply a given product, you can usually get a private order of anything from a brewery who is already shipping product here. That's how out ST private orders were facilitated.

Regardless, if I stick to only breweries who are already shipping to the LCBO and have beers listed regularly I'd vote for Fuller's Golden Pride & ESB, Dogfish 90 & 120 IPA, Anchor Old Foghorn and Porter, The Rogue XS trio, Independence Hop Ale, Yellow Snow & Captain Sig's, Southern Tier (all the imperials)...for a start.

you want to get really crazy, I'd want kegs of any/all of that stuff to make it here and into the bar/restaurant supply. But that's like wishing for Bells, Alesmith, Stone, Hair of the Dog, Lost Abbey etc, etc...
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Jon Walker wrote:Do you mean beers you'd like to see the importers bring in as special orders or beers you'd like them to have listed at the LCBO?
Hi Jon, I mean beers that I would like to see at the LCBO from brewers that are already stocked at the LCBO - potential things from the portfolios of all the various beer importers that you would like to see end up on the general list.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Id love to see Orval become regular list. a few more Brooklyn brews and a lot more DFH but most of all the 90 min

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

DHF 90 and 120, Southern Tier Choklat, St. Peters Ruby Red (individually)

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Aldaris Porteris and Saku Porter would be awesome to see in my opinion.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

The entire Unibroue line up.
More Anchor beers.
Barbar Honey Ale and Barbar Winterbok.

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

I picked up some BarBar honey a few weeks ago. I drive through New Liskeard everyday so i'm very close to the Quebec border. Anyone who lives close to quebec can go to the SAQ and get a nice Lefebvre gift pack with 8 of their beers. BarBar, Triple, Dubbel, Blonde, Prima Melior, Kriek, Apple, and Blanche de Bruxelle.

Oh, and if i could persuade an importer, i would love to get some quality Oktoberfests!!!!

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

I'll second Storm King and add Southern Tier Jah-Va and Rogue Chocolate Stout to the list.

A nice selection of craft beers from other provinces would be nice too.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

I'll second (or third) the entire portfolio for Dogfish Head or Brooklyn Brewery. Was looking forward to the Brooklyn Chocolate Stout, and would love to see their Monster Ale.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I'll second Barbar winterbock. I loved when that was available.

Add to the list:

DFH 90 Min
Anchor OSA
Zywiec Porter
ST Unearthly
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Anchor Porter as a seasonal.

I'm very surprised Dogfish 90 Minute has not surfaced here as a seasonal. Enough people are buying the 60.

Ditto southern tier Unearthly, which is probably a liquid with year-round appeal (have not had this particular liquid beer yet.)

I bet if our French split from Canada, the Ontario labeling laws would allow much more hassle-free USA imports. Au revoir, Québec!!!
In Beerum Veritas