Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

St. Bernardus at the LCBO??

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

St. Bernardus at the LCBO??

Post by matt7215 »

Was St. Bernardus ever at the LCBO?? I seem to remeber a gift pack sitting on the shelf when I first started with the board but Ive never seen it since becoming a beer geek. What if anything was ever availible from St. Bernardus?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

The St. Bernardus came in a gift pack with 6 beers a couple years ago IIRC.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

SteelbackGuy wrote:The St. Bernardus came in a gift pack with 6 beers a couple years ago IIRC.
damn that would of been nice!!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Yeah, it was 3-4 years ago. I bought a lot of them, and still have the remnants of one left (with expiry dates around now).

No glasses... just a great variety of beer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

matt7215 wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:The St. Bernardus came in a gift pack with 6 beers a couple years ago IIRC.
damn that would of been nice!!
There were only 5 beers in the 2005 packs - Pater 8, Prior 6, Abt 12, SB Tripel amd Watou Tripel.

I bought quite a few packs & still have a number of botles - mostly the stronger brews (8 and 12) which I think have a 2010 'Best By' date. The lesser-ABV ones that are now 'past BBD' are still totally fine but I'll want to get to those soon.

Beers like Abt. 12, it is argued, may be drinkable for decades but I'm inclined to not keep any beer for that long. Unless it's something like Thomas Hardy's, aging a beer can be a gamble with losing odds.
In Beerum Veritas

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

The St. Bernardus Wit is one of my all time favourite beers. Just thought I'd share.

austin

Post by austin »

Having the 12 on general list will not happen in my lifetime......not in this
province.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

We no longer submit the St. B gift pack because it now has 8 bottles and the LCBO will only buy up to 6 bottles in a pack. As for General List, the LCBO's recent enforcement of carton requirements even prevents us from submitting St. B as a seasonal as we would be subject to penalties for non-compliance. We will bring their beers in periodically through Consignment.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Here's a different gift pack with a glass (I don't know about the carton requirements):
http://www.specialtybeer.com/images/stber_gift_big.jpg

I'd probably buy one of those... but the glass really inhibits multiple purchases.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Derek wrote:Here's a different gift pack with a glass (I don't know about the carton requirements):
http://www.specialtybeer.com/images/stb ... gpurchases.
I think it was said this pack is too WAY too flimsy (shame to break that gorgeous glass!)

That looks like a suitable carrier for the Belgian localities, not tossing on a freight liner.
In Beerum Veritas

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Alberta has the St Bernardus Christmas ale. And the Chouffe N'Ice!

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

I wasn't aware of this new Gift Pack but it does look flimsy which could preclude it being bought. I'll bring in a sample and take a look.

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

I so totally want one or more of these:

NEW ARRIVALS FROM ST. BERNARD BREWERY
In late October - Abt 12 in 6L (Methuselah) Bottle.
* In special wooden crate
* Each bottle individually numbered

That is around 18 standard size 330ml drinks of 10.5% or 38 standard beers worth of alcohol. Wow.

That must be in the $200 ~ $300 range.
Imagine the LCBO cracking one or more of those open for lab tests. Ouch!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

There was some talk about the Methuselah on the BA... seems to be going for 225-300 USD.

It's all about the bottle. But damn, that's a lot for a bottle.

That's one hell of a sturdy case for the LCBO though!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

esprit wrote:I wasn't aware of this new Gift Pack but it does look flimsy which could preclude it being bought. I'll bring in a sample and take a look.
Cool. If you want to off-load the glass, I call first dibs!