Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

DFH 60, Get some before it's too late

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

DragonOfBlood wrote:
markaberrant wrote:I meant to mention it yesterday, and I'm glad others have.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BREWERY

THINK GLOBAL, DRINK LOCAL

BEER TASTES BETTER THE CLOSER YOU GET TO THE SOURCE
If the local brewing scene wasn't so disappointing overall, then I would subscribe to this.
Many ironies though - some beer only tastes good AT the source, and any amount of travel or retail abuse appears to Trafalgarize the product. Is, for example the Stuart's really just a beer that should never have to travel 50 or 100 km, much as things happened to be in the middle ages? I'll buy into that mediaeval model of thinking, but for that you really need ten brewers making ten bitters for ten active drinking regions of Ontario. Selling it all fresh that week. THAT is "real beer."

Plus some beers fail the grade even fresh at the source, as I shared in 2005 with the Glenora fiasco (hopefully improved now but still.)
In Beerum Veritas

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Queef wrote:exchange rate? an $0.81 dollar does not offset the fact that fuel right now is a third what it was 6 months ago.....
Queef, the drop in fuel costs had no impact on the current pricing of DFH in Ontario as the cost of the fuel to transport bottles and ingredients were incurred when gas prices were high and even that doesn't matter as the brewery sets a price for the whole year and generally does not adjust prices as costs go up and down (nothing but fuel has gone down) . Whatever the LCBO saved on shipping the product to Ontario would amount to less than a cent a bottle. Why don't you believe R&R and Esprit when we tell you that, in this instance, the only factor was the exchange rate? The $0.81 is huge...the fuel is insignificant.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

esprit wrote: Whatever the LCBO saved on shipping the product to Ontario would amount to less than a cent a bottle. Why don't you believe R&R and Esprit when we tell you that, in this instance, the only factor was the exchange rate? The $0.81 is huge...the fuel is insignificant.
I for one have no problem accepting yours and R&R's justification of a price increase due to the weakened dollar...what I have an issue with, since you now claim gas prices falling by HALF only alters shipping costs by one cent a bottle, why we had to eat a 14% increase on the price of the ST IPA back in the summer? We were told that, despite the dollar being at par, the price was increasing due to the higher shipping costs related directly to the high gas prices.

One justification flies in the face of the other.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Jon, perhaps then I erred by including R & R in my comments and I guess I should know better than to speak for someone else as I didn't recall their comments about ST. As far as DFH is concerned, the recent low fuel prices have not yet kicked in on any of their orders but then the LCBO sets the freight rate and it is not adjusted for every shipment. Usually the rate for any particular product is set once a year unless there are dramatic fluctuations (if fuel goes up dramatically they'll increase freight but I would suspect that a drop in fuel costs won't immediatley trigger a drop...not unlike your local gas station). What I can tell you is that even at the high fuel price level, the total cost to ship a truckload of DFH to Toronto as charged by the LCBO was about 6 cents per bottle so even if gas was free, that's about it for savings.
I can tell you that some of our suppliers go 2 and 3 years without raising prices...virtually 100% of all our suppliers are raising prices for 2009 and the U.S. micros will have some of the largest increases to add to the decllning dollar. This will also effect U.S. retail prices.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

DragonOfBlood wrote:
markaberrant wrote:I meant to mention it yesterday, and I'm glad others have.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BREWERY

THINK GLOBAL, DRINK LOCAL

BEER TASTES BETTER THE CLOSER YOU GET TO THE SOURCE
If the local brewing scene wasn't so disappointing overall, then I would subscribe to this.
Other guys have said it well, but I wonder where the US brewing industry would be without support? Ours is making strides towards the quality levels of some areas in the states and I think its important to help them get there so we will see truly awesome beer as a norm in Ontario one day.

Cheers!

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

I have heard more excuses on this thread for the price increase than a room full of Liberals trying to explain why Stephane Dion was such a disaster.
He may not speak the hinglish...but I can.
This is a rip off.
Southern Tier was supposed to be $12 when it came in...then it was twist offs...oil prices...blah blah blah...
then oil prices go down..wait...it's the exchange rate (which is only about 12 per cent different from when it hit the stores ...)...wait...prices set 18 years in advance..etc. etc.
I remember that National Post story where the southern tier guy said he wanted to drop the price.
So now it is nearly 25 per cent more than promised
and you can get a six pack in the u.s. for eight or nine bucks.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

bujubanton wrote:I have heard more excuses on this thread for the price increase than a room full of Liberals trying to explain why Stephane Dion was such a disaster.
This is a rip off.
Southern Tier was supposed to be $12 when it came in...then it was twist offs...oil prices...blah blah blah...
then oil prices go down..wait...it's the exchange rate (which is only about 12 per cent different from when it hit the stores ...)...wait...prices set 18 years in advance..etc. etc.
I remember that National Post story where the southern tier guy said he wanted to drop the price.
OH, for God's sake, who woke the Troll?

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Torontoblue wrote:
bujubanton wrote:I have heard more excuses on this thread for the price increase than a room full of Liberals trying to explain why Stephane Dion was such a disaster.
This is a rip off.
OH, for God's sake, who woke the Troll?
for god's sake, don't feed him.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Jon Walker wrote:
One justification flies in the face of the other.
I'm sure the importers do their best to explain what is ultimately an uncontrollable cost-driven nightmare for them - the runaway prices don't help them at all if people stop buying products! We should hope the currencies and costs may soon stabilize so the current pricing crisis is resolved rather than worsened.

We may note that (before new Dogfish Rogue Anchor Brooklyn and Southern Tier were listed) we did have several years of economic opportunity during which the LCBO avoided building such relationships with USA micros. Now that the economic tide is turning, we don't have years of good-will built up with these small brewers and they may pull out rather than pull with us for our tiny market here.
In Beerum Veritas

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Well...I suspect the importers are generally doing their best in a tough business and as my many posts defending them will attest I do appreciate their efforts. But, in one case in particular, I also suspect there were other factors at play that affected price. I don't want to make unsubstantiated allegations, my info is hard to confirm, but it ain't all about the price of gas and the exchange rate all the time...I'll leave it at that.

As for breweries losing interest in our province...there's obviously precedent...but I don't think they easily dismiss this market as small or inconsequential. The LCBO, when it places an order, usually places one big enough to make an appealing difference to a small volume micro. Where they do lose interest is when those orders don't get repeated (despite all the crazy hoops the brewery acquiesced to) or they are already selling at capacity within the U.S. (where complex labeling and importing rules and regs are not as restrictive) and they have no need to deal with the Canadian bulls**t.

We'll have to see how many of these significant price increases the Ontario market will bare and how the LCBO, the importers and the U.S. breweries collectively or individually react to any change in sales volume.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Queef

Post by Queef »

Jon Walker wrote:We'll have to see how many of these significant price increases the Ontario market will bare and how the LCBO, the importers and the U.S. breweries collectively or individually react to any change in sales volume.
hey, we'll always have some alexander keiths to buy right? right?
As much as I appreciate their efforts to put decent stuff in the store, the bottom line is, all their money is in wine, spirits, and molsons/labatts products. So realistically it doesn't matter in the end what the market will bear.
it's beer o'clock.

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

I am just making the same comments as the rest of you..and I get attacked.
Sorry to disturb your exciting lives. Don't mind me. Hurry up and get back to your Dungeons and Dragons competitions...or your constant cataloguing of your sci-fi book collections... :o

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

bujubanton wrote:I am just making the same comments as the rest of you..and I get attacked.
bujubanton wrote: Sorry to disturb your exciting lives. Don't mind me. Hurry up and get back to your Dungeons and Dragons competitions...or your constant cataloguing of your sci-fi book collections... :o
Yes. Exactly the same... Sorry, don't mind me... return to your generic somehow slanderous activities.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

As of January 5th Brooklyn Lager will be rising by $2.95 to $14.95. Rogue Dead Guy will be rising $1.55 to $15.55.

In better news, Duvel will fall by $0.10 per bottle and Chimay Red by $0.25. In fact, as mentioned earlier, the general trend seems to have remained American beers getting pricier and European cheaper.

Only local changes of note are Wellington Dark up $0.15 and Devil's Pale up $0.25.

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

I got some ST for $14.10 a six pack at the Summerhill store on Saturday.
They still had the old price up..they weren't happy about it, but they had to give me the listed price.

by the way, I hear that Snowmageddon will be blamed to raise prices even further..ha ha...