Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

DFH 60, Get some before it's too late

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

DFH 60, Get some before it's too late

Post by Jon Walker »

NO, it's not being delisted by the LCBO...
BUT if you were planning on buying it in any quantity you will want to do so immediately. The price is jumping on Monday from the current $13.95 a six to $15.60. That's a 12% increase. Curious why Peter didn't let us know that was coming down the pipe, I'm sure he knew. I'm wondering why the price hike? Gas prices are way down, the dollar hasn't shifted THAT much...what gives? Will the new price deter any of you guys from buying it?

My LCBO source that told me about the price jump laughed and said "oh well, there go those sales". I'd sadly have to agree. The diehard fans will still buy it (probably) but I fear all those folks developing a taste for good beer but worrying about cashflow are going to be scared off by that price point. Thoughts?
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

To hell with that. I'd rather just save my money and take a day trip to Buffalo, load the car full of ale and live a blissful life ignoring the LCBO.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Interesting!
With the lack of competition around I find I normally don't look at the prices unless it is something brand new I've never seen before. I just buy what I feel like drinking.
I had some DFH60 at Fionn McCools last week...it is tast stuff, so I'll pick some up for the holidays.

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

Ditto, Dragon O'Blood.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Just to be fair I wanted to remind everyone that ST IPA was originally priced at $12 in the LCBO literature but had about an 18% price bump to $14.10 in the weeks leading up to its release. Regardless, it also generated a lot of talk about whether that was justified or not, would alter buying likelihood or not...just curious how people feel.
Last edited by Jon Walker on Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Jon Walker wrote:The price is jumping on Monday from the current $13.95 a six to $15.60. That's a 12% increase. the dollar hasn't shifted THAT much.
um, jon, you might wanna check your math. the loonie was at 1.05 last year, when the dogfish deal was put together. it's now slid back under 80 cents. even in the last couple of months, it's slid from about 90 cents to under 80.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

tuqueboy wrote: um, jon, you might wanna check your math. the loonie was at 1.05 last year, when the dogfish deal was put together. it's now slid back under 80 cents. even in the last couple of months, it's slid from about 90 cents to under 80.
When the deal was put together was not when the order was purchased. The dollar was only that high for about three weeks at most and that was in November of 2007 (I checked). The Canadian dollar was only worth more than one U.S. dollar for about two weeks in 2008 and that was in February. It was actually in the mid 90 cent range when the purchases were actually taking place. Regardless, the point is fair, the dollar is worth AT LEAST 10 cents less per dollar than it was...but gas prices last summer were also close to 80% higher than they are now...wouldn't one offset the other?
Last edited by Jon Walker on Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Jon Walker wrote: Regardless, the point is fair, the dollar is worth AT LEAST 10 cents less per dollar than it was...but gas prices last summer were also close to 80% higher than they are now...wouldn't one offset the other?
good question. i honestly don't know. perhaps peter can speak to it.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I hope he does. And Peter, if you do, I'm not nitpicking the price difference...just curious what motivates the decision to raise it. Many products are getting cheaper right now due to the crap economic climate.

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

I would be stunned if the LCBO does not lock in its prices though currency purchases at the time orders are finalized.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

My wages are roughly the same the LAST time the dollar was 75 or 80 cents and then DFH 60 was $12 a six. Oh well... I'll still buy it if I want some.

I am sad to see that our LCBO (in the interests of stable pricing) never steps up for one minute to take a small hit on their massive profit margins... but then what did you expect?

I fear that nobody's likely to buy fifteen-plus dollar USA micros. These are 6.5 per cent beers, 'just regular beer' so to speak, ie. you want those to drink every day and not think about each beer you crack open being well over two bucks. I hope this is not The End :o but people may stop buying such beers, and then we're back to having almost nothing in the stores. Awful timing for importers who've worked so hard to bring us these treasures...

For the record, now would be a GREAT time to see a locally-produced IPA of West Coast stature... in bottles, here!!
In Beerum Veritas

kmallett

Post by kmallett »

I guess I'll pick up a few six-packs before the price increase but I doubt I'll pick up much more after the price increase. I'll go with a few decent locally made APA's like Tankhouse, Durham Signature Ale and GR Plowmans (or Galt Knife Lager) to get my hop fix.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

I probably won't pick up any after the hike. If IPA is in need, the superior Southern Tier is more than a dollar cheaper.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Belgian wrote: I am sad to see that our LCBO (in the interests of stable pricing) never steps up for one minute to take a small hit on their massive profit margins... but then what did you expect?
Just a reminder that price increases/decreases are actually set by the importer and brewery, not the LCBO. I know you know that Belgian, just wanted to point that out to others who might be confused and think this price hike is the work of the LCBO. However that doesn't change the fact that they could lower their margins but...that just ain't gonna happen.
Last edited by Jon Walker on Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I'll still but it occasionally, as I do now. Its a damn good beer at $2.50 something a bottle.