Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bottle Deposit at the Beer Store

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
17 an hour sounds about right for a current part time employee at the LCBO right now. And there are unskilled people in every field that are making way too much money for what they do. Radio included.......... :wink:
Full time TBS staff make considerably more than that no? (I'm pretty sure it was around $25/hr a few years ago).

And they seem SERIOUSLY uninformed compared to most LCBO staff (as much flack as they get, they've got a hell of a lot more products to know).
Last edited by Derek on Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

I would demand to see the manager.
if that does not work..hold your breath until they give you your deposit...

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Derek wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:
17 an hour sounds about right for a current part time employee at the LCBO right now. And there are unskilled people in every field that are making way too much money for what they do. Radio included.......... :wink:
Full time TBS staff make considerably more than that no? (I'm pretty sure it was around $25/hr a few years ago).

And they seem SERIOUSLY uninformed compared to most LCBO staff (as much flack as they get, they've got a hell of a lot more products to know).
The full time beer store employees do make more than our full time employees at the LCBO. I think the part timers at TBS start out lower than ours, but eventually they make more too. We have a few product knowledge courses that we have to take which we are tested on so at least the LCBO emloyees are at the very least somewhat knowledgeable. I find most TBS employees know absolutely nothing about beer, but they aren't encouraged to learn either.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

SteelbackGuy wrote: The full time beer store employees do make more than our full time employees at the LCBO. I think the part timers at TBS start out lower than ours, but eventually they make more too. We have a few product knowledge courses that we have to take which we are tested on so at least the LCBO emloyees are at the very least somewhat knowledgeable. I find most TBS employees know absolutely nothing about beer, but they aren't encouraged to learn either.
This happened to me yesterday while I was returning my empties:

Me "Can I have a case of St Ambroise Pale Ale?"

clerk "Nope. Dont have any"

Me " OK then can I have a case of Tankhouse Ale?"

clerk "Nope. Dont have any"

Me " OK then can I have a case of Muskoka Lager?"

clerk " Nope, man why dont you just order Bud like every one else, cant you see we are lined up?"

Me " Ill just take my money then."

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

matt7215 wrote:
Me " OK then can I have a case of Muskoka Lager?"

clerk " Nope, man why dont you just order Bud like every one else, cant you see we are lined up?"

Me " Ill just take my money then."
WOW :o

That's almost a hostile, combative attitude toward non-MolBatt product consumers. Not to mention towards the small brewers who pay a big fat premium just to have TBS listings.

Like Steel implies, these employees are almost ENCOURAGED to be ignorant - by the total lack of product knowledge (AND this 'Top Ten down your throat' mentality.) What a dickweed this guy, I can't stand this. We should post several hidden camera clips like this on YouTube in order to incite a public outrage. We are not nearly 'creative' enough with the currently available technology. ;)

"'Can't you see we are lined up?" F'ing CLASSIC.
Last edited by Belgian on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

burningrome

Post by burningrome »

Yeah, I'd totally demand to see the manager. Never happened to me, and I've happily returned a variety of wine and beer bottles purchased in the US. Just got a variety 12 pack of Troeg's (from somewhere in Pennsylvania) from my brother-in-law, regarding US Beers......

kmallett

Post by kmallett »

That's why I like to use the self-serve TBS stores when I have the chance. It's just too much of a pain to ask somebody to find a beer for me when I can just pick it up myself.

Also, I've never had a problem returning any ST IPA or DFH yet. I guess I've just been lucky so far.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

burningrome wrote:
I've happily returned a variety of wine and beer bottles purchased in the US.
Me too, BUT... Don't forget, crossing the border also costs you various Ontario duties and taxes, plus your wait time, plus you aren't given any kind of fair sales tax refunds for your US purchases (in the manner Americans are allowed such tax refunds for all their Ontario purchases.) You are effectively being taxed twice to bring that wine & beer over.

In that light, our Province are getting off VERY cheaply with a few loosey-goosey deposit refunds!
In Beerum Veritas

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I think the problem is a simple one to solve AND doesn't require TBS to do any of that annoying "product training" for their staff that they seem so averse to...

The LCBO should provide a monthly master list of SKU's, both active and retired, to TBS. Each list of numbers should be either accessible on the individual store's cash terminals or, if that's too techy, a paper list kept at the refund desk. If they want to nitpick a bottle they could look up the SKU and see if it's valid or not. Easy peasy...and it'll NEVER happen.

For now, as others have suggested, keep your LCBO receipts for your refunds or talk to a manager.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

co

Post by co »

It appears, based both on the postings here and on what I know from my experiences at other beer and liquor stores I've been to, that I get exceptional service at these stores in the wee small town of Port Hope. Although I no longer buy beer at the beer store, the employees are always friendly and never harrass me regarding returns. ALthough I know more about beer than the folks at my local LCBO, they're helpful whenever I want to place an order and they have an excellent variety considering the size of the store.

On somewhat of a lighter note...I brought a case of DFH empties to the Beer Store yesterday and the lady observed the bottles and asked, "How did you like this one?" "Good, I really like it," was my vague response. When it came time to ask if I wanted anything she informed me "the Keith's Pale Ale" is on sale. I stiffled a smile, offered a "no thanks" and was on my way. It's amazing that the Keith's folk can get away with calling that swill an IPA.