Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Canadian Beer News blog

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Canadian Beer News blog

Post by GregClow »

I was planning on waiting until after the holidays to officially announce this, but it came together a lot more quickly and with a lot less effort than I expected, so I figured I’d give you all an early Christmas gift. :wink:

I’m pleased to announce the launch of Canadian Beer News, a new blog from yours truly that will focus exclusively on news from the Canadian brewing industry. There will be no beer reviews or opinion pieces, simply press releases and news bulletins with announcements of new beer releases, brewery openings and closures, news about festivals and events, and other information from breweries all across the country.

Giving credit where credit is due, I must admit that the idea was ripped off of - uh, I mean, “strongly influenced by” - beernews.org, the excellent and informative blog/website that provides similar information on the American craft brewing scene. Since there was nothing similar here in Canada (or at least no blog dedicated exclusively to new beer announcements and other news), and I was already getting a lot of press releases and announcements sent to me from various breweries, I figured I might as well set up a place to cut & paste the info for all to see.

Please pop over for a look, and let me know what you think. And if you’re a brewer in Canada, please add me to your mailing list so I can spread the word on what you’ve got going on.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Great idea Greg, I'll check it often.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Good work, Greg!

Lots of interesting beers being released out West... c'mon Ontario guys, you can do it too!

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Nice work. A good idea.. Sort of a slashdot but for beer news.

Not sure about that first image though.. it's certainly playing into some Canadian stereotypes. I understand it's in good fun, however the picture of those two characters wouldn't be my first choice if I was trying to establish myself as a semi credible news source/aggregator. I may have missed the point though :)

And as they say, don't judge a book by it's cover. It's the content that counts and it looks spot on. Thanks for sharing. I'll keep reading.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Yeah, I take your point about Bob & Doug, Ralphus. I will likely replace that image at some point, I just wanted something to stick in there while I was putting the site together, and kind of liked it once it was there.

woodpecker

Post by woodpecker »

i love the site. bookmarked and soon2b linked as well!

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

I see they are making IPAs in Manitoba and Alberta...

why can't we get a decent IPA in Ontario.

I tried the special Trafalgar gift pack over the holidays...willing to pay too much for the 200ml bottles...and unfortunately the double IPA was undrinkable. No carbonation. Not even sure what it was.
tasted like bad cider.

Queef

Post by Queef »

WHEW!!!!
Great news to see that a struggling microbrewery like Steelback, can quickly recieve such large government grants to ensure a slight foothold in the market! I can now sleep easy at night, knowing they won't fade away into obscurity.
it's beer o'clock.

Rumrunner

Post by Rumrunner »

bujubanton
I must say that I enjoy Sgt Major IPA from Scotch Irish Brewery in Carlton Place. Also love their John By Imperial Stout.