Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

A dozen-or-so bottles I have in my lame make-shift cellar.

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Guybrush

A dozen-or-so bottles I have in my lame make-shift cellar.

Post by Guybrush »

After a lack-luster response to that other thread, I thought I'd make one last effort, and post a thread here for those of us who have lame storage facilities, and small quantities of relatively expensive beers stashed away. It's a way for regular people to share in our less-than-spectacular collection of fine ales.

So if you feel slighty proud about those 3 bottles of Fuller's Vintage, next to the Aventinus bottles you're aging, beside the one, maybe two Unibroue's you've been setting aside for a special night, then take a picture of them and post them here. Don't worry if it's just in a box, or in a dusty corner in your crawl-space, or in a lame wooden cupboard that you have in your basement (that would be me).

I'm sure we're all dreaming about the beautiful custom built cellar, dug low enough in the ground to sustain a stable temperature all year round, with built-in miniature waterfalls, whatever else tricked-out cellars have on the cover of Beer Cellars Monthly Magazine, but for now all we have is humble beginnings...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Not 'lame', some fine stuff!! I do like seeing vintage-year labels though eg for FV and TH.

(I know "vintage-year" is redundant.)
In Beerum Veritas

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Oh man - I tried in vain to get my hands on that banana bread beer (even had someone try and pick it up in the UK). Is it any good?

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Gedge wrote:Oh man - I tried in vain to get my hands on that banana bread beer (even had someone try and pick it up in the UK). Is it any good?
It's very artificial in flavour, from what I can remember. There are far better Banana beers in the UK than that one. Premier sell that bottle over in Buffalo, $5.95 a bottle.

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

Not 'lame', some fine stuff!! I do like seeing vintage-year labels though eg for FV and TH.

Fuller's is a range of 2006-2008, had a 2005, but it was consumed! The Hardy's are 1 x 2005, 4 x 2007. There's an Aventinus Eisbock in the background there too, it's a 2007. The Mill St. are 2007, and 2008.

Oh man - I tried in vain to get my hands on that banana bread beer

That beer smelled like banana flavoured freezies, and tasted much worse. Not really something worth spending a lot of effort to get your hands on. Torontoblue might be on to something, drink some other brewery's banana beer, not that one.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Well... I may be inspired to take some photos of my 'cellar' when I get a moment. Its awfully crap, but one day it will be HUGE.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

I'd take a picture of mine buts its just a bunch of boxes stacked up

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

viggo wrote:I'd take a picture of mine buts its just a bunch of boxes stacked up
That's the point! Nice pictures of dusty boxes.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Guybrush wrote:That's the point! Nice pictures of dusty boxes.
how about just a panoramic shot of my basement? there's beer everywhere!

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

grub wrote: how about just a panoramic shot of my basement? there's beer everywhere!
Well considering the group you are associated with, i'm sure any of that beer would be considered amazing. A small bottle of Hopocalypse Redux just lying around casually, no doubt.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Unforunately no Redux left. Wouldn't mind having a keg of that at home.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

viggo wrote:Unforunately no Redux left. Wouldn't mind having a keg of that at home.
Bloody 'Ell, you're home early ;-)

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Not as early as you old man.

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

I made an update to my cellar, what do y'all think?

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

This is what I've got for a "cellar" in my 1000 sq ft apartment condo. I'd say about 25-33% is commercial beer, the rest is homebrew.

Spare bedroom:

Spare bedroom closet:

Kitchen cupboard:

And here's the fridge contents:

Image[/i]

Most of the beer in the spare bedroom is only stored there from late Nov to early March (temp is around 65F-68F), the rest of the year it is kept in a storage room off of my 2nd floor balcony (where the temp ranges from 32F-75F). It's far from ideal, so I don't keep anything REALLY long term, but I've kept lots of beers for 2-3 years without any going bad.
We're building ourselves a bungalow this year, and there will be a proper "cellar" in the basement. Should be moved in by October.