Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

A dozen-or-so bottles I have in my lame make-shift cellar.

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

Nice!!!!

That is a fantastic stash you have. Lots of stuff I'd love to try; Breckenridge vanilla porter, great divide hibernation, that cherry porter looks good too...

Good work, i knew there was more people with make-shift cellars....

mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

Mat

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

The case of Red Cap looks the most appealing..............
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

LOL, yeah, I'm just using it to store vintage stubbies (empty) :)

I really want to find a way of organizing it. Some of the larger shelving that others posted looks nice - easy to see where things are. Mine's so packed in there that I've got to pull a bunch out to get at most of it.
Mat

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Nice stock! Sometimes the fun of having things so tightly shelved is that you end up forgetting about certain beers that you rediscover many months (if not years) later. If they are good agers then it's a happy discovery.

My only advice would be to reinforce those shelves. It looks like you have a lot of bottles stacked on some pretty thin plyboard. My shelves started to sag so I built braces underneath. Imagine the horror if you had a collapse?
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

Hmm, good call on the reinforcement. It seems to be holding up... for now, but I haven't really assessed its structure. For all I know the whole thing will just tip over if it's not attached to the wall or anything.
Mat

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

I use Gorm from Ikea for my storage. I cut up some scrap wood to put on backing and sides so that bottles can't fall off. I then screwed the whole unit onto some exposed studs for stability.

The only drawback is that the shelves are composed of a number of slats instead of one large piece of wood, but I just space the bottles out a bit to avoid the cracks.

Lots of advantages to this setup: customizable shelf heights on setup, you buy exactly the shelf pieces you need, and it was so easy to put together that even I could do it.

I'll get some pictures together when I get a chance.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Looks like 5/8th's plywood - not likely to give way unless it has not been properly anchored at the end rests.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Mat - wow, just wow. One day I will have a cellar like that. Great variety, but not overly excessive. Very admirable.

mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

Yeah Bobsy - most of them are things I haven't ever had yet so I'm looking forward to drinking them. Hard to resist :)

How does everyone keep it organized (both physically and from an inventory perspective). With a lot of different bottles and constantly changing stock, and limited space, what can you do?

Mine are just randomly shoved in there. I've got a spreadsheet to keep track of what's there, the year, how long it should be aged, a link to RB, etc. Seems to be working so far but hard to keep updated accurately.

Bobsy, BTW, might I have seen you at Cole's? I saw some women that might have been interested in picking up younger men... but I didn't know which of them might have been you. ;)
Mat

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

One of my organizational tips...for what it's worth...

I usually write on the labels with a sharpie the date of purchase (11/06 for example) on any ageable beer that doesn't have the production date on the label. That way I can keep track of similarly labeled different aged bottles and tell them apart.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

mjohnston wrote:Bobsy, BTW, might I have seen you at Cole's? I saw some women that might have been interested in picking up younger men... but I didn't know which of them might have been you. ;)
It took me way longer to get that than it should have! :D

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Jon Walker wrote:One of my organizational tips...for what it's worth...

I usually write on the labels with a sharpie the date of purchase (11/06 for example) on any ageable beer that doesn't have the production date on the label. That way I can keep track of similarly labeled different aged bottles and tell them apart.
I just spent the weekend doing this on the caps and labels, seeing as I've now bought more of the same beers I already had. It seemed really anal at the time but it makes sense. Plus it was a pain in the backside trying to keep my Excel spreadsheet up to date.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Here's the Gorm shelving in action:

Additional pictures are here.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

inertiaboy wrote:Here's the Gorm shelving in action:

Additional pictures are here.
Nice stock!