Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beers to drink during the Superbowl.

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Steelers vs. Cardinals

Poll ended at Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:58 pm

Steelers
50%
Cardinals
50%

Total votes: 16

Rumrunner

Post by Rumrunner »

My friends aren't Craft Beer drinkers (yet) so I am bringing along the OCB Discovery Pack and a few others for a beer tasting. Should be intersting to see what they think.
Wonder what would go good in the hot tub at half time.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

A couple young blondes

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I was hoping to pick the brains of the bartowel crowd.
I want to get a nice hoppy beer in for my small superbowl party. My only concern is my guests might not appreciate, or even like, DFH 60 IPA or Southern Tier IPA. So my question is what's a good beer that's a safe bet? I was thinking maybe Creemore? But I really hate giving my money to Molson-Coors. So any suggestions?
Thanks in advance :D

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

dutchcanuck wrote:I was hoping to pick the brains of the bartowel crowd.
I want to get a nice hoppy beer in for my small superbowl party. My only concern is my guests might not appreciate, or even like, DFH 60 IPA or Southern Tier IPA. So my question is what's a good beer that's a safe bet? I was thinking maybe Creemore? But I really hate giving my money to Molson-Coors. So any suggestions?
Tankhouse or Muskoka Premium Lager.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

JesseM wrote:
Tankhouse or Muskoka Premium Lager.

Good choices Jesse.

I'll add True North IPA (might be a bit too much for them though), and I will also suggest Czechvar.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

SteelbackGuy wrote:...I will also suggest Czechvar.
Totally forgot about this one. It's never failed me in impressing non-beer geek friends, much more so than any other beer actually. Just always have to make sure you get bottles that haven't been sitting directly in light, and preferably have been refrigerated.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I have the following for my party:

King Pilsner
LTM Blonde
Tankhouse
Dale's Pale Ale

Most of the crowd is of the Keiths/Blue Variety

MattB

Post by MattB »

I'll be sampling two Brew Dog beers courtesy of Stonch ... Rip Tide, 8%, a "twisted merciless stout", and The Physics, 5%, a "laid back amber ale". These came highly recommended, and I've been saving them for Superbowl.

After they're gone, it'll be Well's IPA. Food still to be determined.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I've got a growler of Town Hall Lager that I'll be drinking myelf.

We're hosting a Super Bowl party and I'm actually opening up a lot of my overstock to my friends this year. The reason is two-fold. One, I've got too much beer left over from the last year that I likely will not have time to drink and that will not necessarily age well (Southern Tier IPA, pumpkin ales, even some Bell's stuff I brought back from Michigan long ago etc.) or stuff that I do love but just have too much of and want to clear out so that I have storage room for other beers (Chimay, La Trappe, Westmalle etc.). Two, most of my friends have pretty good taste and are pretty open to trying new stuff, but still order boring generic pitchers at group gatherings. If they get the oportunity to try a bunch of different styles and find something new that they like, perhaps they will be more advernturous in the future and I wont have to choke down Grasshopper or Robert Simpson as frequently.

Rosko

Post by Rosko »

I'm starting big with a 750ml bottle of Konings Hoeven.

That will numb whatever pain comes if my bets don't go the right way.

Than I'm switching to Greene King IPA and Headstrong Munich Lager.

If there is overtime, I'd better be switching over to green tea!

Rosko

Post by Rosko »

LCBO is featuring Headstrong Munich Lager for $1.75 a can. Good beer that one.

Tankhouse is a fine pick as well.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Rosko wrote:
LCBO is featuring Headstrong Munich Lager for $1.75 a can. Good beer that one.

Tankhouse is a fine pick as well.
watch out for butter bombs with the Headstrong, Id stick to Tankhouse and its on sale as well.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

DutchCanuck, how about Grand River Plowman's? Not hoppy at all, lol. :evil:

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

It would actually be quicker for me to drive to consumer's beverage in Niagara Falls, NY than to drive to Cambridge.
I think I am going to get a 12 Tankhouse, some guinness, and a 6 of Dogfishead. Maybe even some Fullers London Porter. That way their should be something for someone. Thanks for all the good tips guys.

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

What the hell is this?!?!?!?

The poll ends at 50%/50%??

We were supposed to pack this information up and pass it on to the team with the most votes, so that they would be assured of a victory at the Superbowl. Now I don't know what I'm going to tell them.... Oh well, I guess they'll just have do it the old fashioned way, and battle it out on the gridiron.