Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Name one beer have you been saving for a special occasion

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

kona

Post by kona »

tuqueboy wrote:
kona wrote:I've been saving a Cantillon Gueuze (the true champagne of beers) for my wedding day. Six more months to wait...
wow, you're sour on marriage already? sorry. couldn't resist.
hmm, didn't think of that. the honeymoon in Belgium's probably going to be pretty sour too. I'm going to need some Black Oak Chocolate Cherry Stout for the 1 year anniv. to sweeten things up.

DAN-D-MAN

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

I'm planning on enjoying the McAuslan Vintage Millenium 2000 next year. I'm still loving the Douglas Scotch Ales I purchased from Esprit many years ago.

As others, I have a bunch of barley wines I'm aging (Old Crustacean, Mill Street), and some stouts and porters (Tsarina Katarina, Black Oak Double Chocolate Cherry, Nutcracker) and other specialties.

Obviously, not all beers age well. I have a bunch of unopened stubbies (Export, Cinci, etc.) that I don't plan on ever drinking. You should see the crap in the Labatt IPA I have... shake it up and it's like one of those snow globes! Surprisingly however, my buddy still brings over a 650ml bottle of KLB Raspberry Wheat (pre-Amsterdam) on occasion and it tastes incredible.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

boney wrote:I hope to pick up a Tree Hophead IIPA later this month after a trip our west, then it'll be go time.
Good luck with that. I had to ask a beer manager very nicely, who at first pretended he didn't know what I was talking about. He did pull 1 bottle out of the warehouse for me, but only because I was from out of province and already had an impressive selection in my shopping cart.

So yeah, it was a very small batch (hand numbered bottles), and is hard to come by. I might drink mine this week or next, and I'm still debating whether to share it or not.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

markaberrant wrote:
boney wrote:I hope to pick up a Tree Hophead IIPA later this month after a trip our west, then it'll be go time.
Good luck with that. I had to ask a beer manager very nicely, who at first pretended he didn't know what I was talking about. He did pull 1 bottle out of the warehouse for me, but only because I was from out of province and already had an impressive selection in my shopping cart.

So yeah, it was a very small batch (hand numbered bottles), and is hard to come by. I might drink mine this week or next, and I'm still debating whether to share it or not.
Yeah, I've heard that it went incredibly fast. I see that Kensington Wine Market in Calgary has a few bottles in stock. Their stock doesn't always get updated regularily, so I'll have to see if it's there when I pass on through. Maybe the Tree IIPA will turn into my special occasion beer if I ever get one.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Reviving an old thread I started here as I finally got around to updating my beer inventory and thinking about a few special beers.

I have a 1975 Courage Russian Imperial Stout stashed away now, something I plan to drink next year. It will be the first (and likely only) beer I'll try that is older than I am.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I've got an Alesmith Speedway I'm looking forward to trying, plus a few Double Tempest BA.

Also an Ommegang XV, and some Bellwoods 750mls including Saisons - one with Brett, and one part Cider Barrel/ part Pinot Noir barrel-aged.

Plus a few of the 2012 Deus, the year we got about 240 bottles in the province. I want to super-chill one of those in a snow bank around Xmas or New Year's Eve.
In Beerum Veritas

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

this christmas when my dark lord crew are all in town we will enjoy the chocolate rain i got in a trade for the bvdl. then if i am lucky enough to get to go again next year with much of the same crew i will line share the black tuesday with those dudes and whoever is around us since generous strangers sharing awesome beers with us was the best part of that day for me.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

1979 Thomas Hardy's - only 5 years to go to have it for my 40th
2011 Utopias - saving for something, not sure what at this point
2008 World Wide Stout - might almost be drinkable at this age
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

El Pinguino wrote:I have a 1975 Courage Russian Imperial Stout stashed away now, something I plan to drink next year. It will be the first (and likely only) beer I'll try that is older than I am.
You can join my club.
http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=6977

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Wow, things change!

I think the BVDL is going to be the hardest one to open knowing how freaking thick and sweet it is, and expensive it was.

But the one I am looking forward to the most is my 2012 Barrel-aged behemoth.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Fou is the only beer in my cellar I'd hesitate to drink on a non-special occasion. Though I plan to open one of them alongside this years batch whenever it releases and gets muled back to me.

Otherwise, just a bunch of beers I'll gladly open any time to share with someone who could actually appreciate them.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

2001 A LeCoq Imperial Extra Double Stout.

I had two bottles. Opened one with my mom on her 70th. It was sublime.

I love the overwrought name too. I guess there wasn't enough room on the label to throw in Ultimate Mega Superior in front of the "Imperial Extra Double Stout". :lol:

I also have an Elysian Savant IPA that I should really get to while the hops are still present. It's not super rare, but I've never seen it in the East. I broke the cardinal Canadian law and brought it back from BC.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

@tapsucker, I have a 1999 of the A Le Coq. Had one about 6 years ago, and it was drinking fine then. Still looking for that special occasion to drink my last bottle.

I've given up saving bottles of beers for special occasions, as they never come around!

I do have a bottle of a Gran Reserva Brandy from the Salvador Dali estate which I've had for 13 years now. I was going to open and share on my 40th birthday in 2010; ended up going to Portland and left the bottle at home. I guess the next opportunity is either my 50th, in 5 1/2 years time, or when I finally become a Canadian citizen.

What really counts as a special occasion to part with that final bottle you cherish?

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Torontoblue wrote:
What really counts as a special occasion to part with that final bottle you cherish?
It'll probably be my 50th. If I survive that long. 8)

My family is the sort that even though we are walking distance apart, we may go months without talking to each other. Then when an excuse arises we have a tear of a party for a few days at the cottage. That's when we remember a lot of the special bottles in the cupboard! Waiting ain't living, but I don't really want to open something when there's no opportunity to share. Especially since everyone in my family is a beer lover.

Now on the wife's side, except for her, the rest will only drink something if it's three parts sugar and is a colour that doesn't exist in nature.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Still have my 1996-1997 Boon Oude Geuze. I had it when I joined this forum, with the intention of finding more. Will definitely be a special occasion when I open this one.

Also:

1995 Sam Adams Triple Bock - was kind of lousy back then. Don't know if age will have made it drinkable. No expecting so.

2003 Terrible

2004 Mill St. Barley Wine - In a stubby

2005 Scotch-Irish Tsarina Katarina - What a great stout this was. Might be pushing it by now, but couldn't resist seriously aging my last bottle. Anyone had one, lately? Cheers Perry! You had some great beers!

2007 Mill St. Barley Wine - Ceramic bottle