Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Name one beer have you been saving for a special occasion

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Name one beer have you been saving for a special occasion

Post by El Pinguino »

We seem to like some of these listing topics - pictures of cellars, what we're drinking now.

So, for everyone who has a bit of a stash saved up - name ONE beer you're most excited about in your cellar, and are saving for a special occasion or craving to try.

It's hard to limit yourself to just one of course, I know. I have some aged Unibroue I'm looking forward to, among others, but the one beer in my cellar that I'm most looking forward to is a sour:

La Folie from New Belgium Brewing.

How about you?

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

damn, that's a hard question. i've got so many interesting beers down there that it's hard to pick just one. i guess the most "special" (because i doubt i'll ever see another again) is the 1992 thomas hardy's ale. the only question is whether to try it now, or wait another 17 years or so. for now, it waits...

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

I'm afraid I drink them all to soon.

I suppose I don't have a good answer to the question...

The oldest beer that I myself have been aging since it was released in stores is a 2006 Fuller's Vintage, but the oldest beer I have in my possession is a 1996 Harveys Elizabethan Ale. But I suppose I don't really care about when I drink those, I'm really looking forward to when my 2005 Thomas Hardy is about 12-15 years old... So I guess that's my answer.

I'm just a hack though, I'm sure the more experienced beer-cellar-er will have an amazing something-or-other stored away.

Cheers.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

grub wrote:the 1992 thomas hardy's ale. the only question is whether to try it now, or wait another 17 years or so. for now, it waits...
I recently had a 93 Thomas Hardy and I would say that they are good to drink now and probably wouldn't last another 17 years. Ask Viggo, he tried it too.

mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

I can't say I have anything particularly special.

I've got a few bottles of Mort Subite Gueuze I bought in 2003 that I'm looking forward to sampling against a fresh one and against a Giardin.

Umm... a growler of unfiltered Ploegers Vlaams Rood I'll let age a few years. Hope it can take the pressure :P

Looking forward to Maleur Dark Brut, Dark Horizon 1.Edition, Black Butte XX, Barriquee, Curieux, New Glarus Red. I know, more than one, but, I can't pick one.
Mat

mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

No one will admit to their secret stash, lest they be pestered to bring it to a tasting from now till eternity. :)
Mat

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

mjohnston wrote:No one will admit to their secret stash, lest they be pestered to bring it to a tasting from now till eternity. :)
Then they are deffo the types you don't want to invite then ;-)

mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

Yeah, neither the pesterers nor the withholders :P
Mat

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Mainly the 2006 ADAM and 2005 St. Bernie 8 + 12 + Delirium Tremens + Rochefort 8 are super nice. I hope the 2006 Oak Sawdust Yeti and Thomas Hardy are tasting better. The MS 2006 Barley is... evolving.

I should kill off the 2005 La Terrible soon... and also buy lots more UniBroue and Koningshoeven to enjoy in future as I drink up my old Pistoles and Chimay Grande Reserve.

My oldest are 2004 - Mort Subite Gueuze, which I didn't care much about and Orval, which honestly doesn't change that much after one year - cant wait to stock up big on Orval this spring!!
Last edited by Belgian on Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Some of the earlier Fuller's Vintage Ales that I need to find a vertical for.

I also have some 03' Chimay Blue Cap, 2003 Niagara Falls EIsbock, and some Bohemoth that I am saving.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Some of the earlier Fuller's Vintage Ales that I need to find a vertical for.
Recently did a vertical of the Vintage Ale; the 04 through 07. Huge difference between every year. Kinda surprised me. The 05 was probably the best (from memory).

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I've got some really wonderful bottles quietly aging. None are earmarked for a specific event or anniversary...I'm hoping the right occasion simply suggests itself...but I'm in no hurry. Here's a few;
2004 Allagash Curieux
Stone Vertical Epic 060606
4x 2002 Liefmans Goudenband
2003 Alesmith Grand Cru
2006 Lost Abbey Angel's Share
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

Torontoblue: Guybrush and I recently did an 05 through 08 and also agreed that the 05 was our fav, as far as I recall :)
Mat

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Jon Walker wrote:I've got some really wonderful bottles quietly aging. None are earmarked for a specific event or anniversary...I'm hoping the right occasion simply suggests itself...but I'm in no hurry. Here's a few;
2004 Allagash Curieux
Stone Vertical Epic 060606
4x 2002 Liefmans Goudenband
2003 Alesmith Grand Cru
2006 Lost Abbey Angel's Share

The Liefmans will be good.

I opened a 1978 bottle a couple of years ago and it was still spectacular, and could probably go at least another 5 years.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

mjohnston wrote:Torontoblue: Guybrush and I recently did an 05 through 08 and also agreed that the 05 was our fav, as far as I recall :)
It gets a bit hazy after a while............................ :lol: