Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Name one beer have you been saving for a special occasion

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

On that note I'll drink my DFH 120 tonight, post-haste!!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Guybrush wrote:On that note I'll drink my DFH 120 tonight, post-haste!!
And I'll check in on stuff I should be knocking back!

Holding on to a "prized" beer till it rots is like being the greedy dog in the fairly tale (you know the one - he has got hold of a nice bone, then sees a reflection in a deep stream of water... of another bone... and in trying to deprive the dog he sees reflected, he tragically loses BOTH bones!)
In Beerum Veritas

carguy

Post by carguy »

This is not quite the same vein, but I do have some of my wife's favourites that I bought in the fall and stashed away to be brought out for Valentines day next week. A few bottles of Mort Subite Framboise to start, and a couple bottles of Koningshoeven Quadrupel for after dinner.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Rogue Chipotle Ale for an upcoming Star Wars Holiday Special screening. :D
lister

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

lister wrote:Rogue Chipotle Ale for an upcoming Star Wars Holiday Special screening. :D
Wouldn't a bottle of Trafalgar skunk go better with that movie?
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

icemachine wrote:Wouldn't a bottle of Trafalgar skunk go better with that movie?
The SW:HS is going to leave a bad enough taste in the mouth as it is. Trafalgar adds insult to injury.
lister

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

kona wrote:I've been saving a Cantillon Gueuze (the true champagne of beers) for my wedding day. Six more months to wait...
wow, you're sour on marriage already? sorry. couldn't resist.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Hmmm. Gradually building up a vertical of Thomas Hardy (so far, 2005-2008). Also have some 2-year-old Rochefort 10, which I'm going to do my damnedest to ignore for a few more years. Also have a 2006 Panil Bariquee, a Girardin Black Label Geuze, and a 2007 Deus. Plus some lovely bottles of Osoyoos Larose (stunning B.C. red wine).

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Some Fullers VA and Hardys, etc (like many others here) and, not something to cellar, but some Garrison Imperial Pale Ale that I picked up recently in Halifax and am really looking forward to trying.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

These one's I'm saving for a while :D.
Do you think they are a touch skunky? (I found them at my parents house from way back in the early 90's)
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

Garrison Imperial Pale Ale is fantastic!

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

phirleh wrote:Image
These one's I'm saving for a while :D.
Do you think they are a touch skunky? (I found them at my parents house from way back in the early 90's)
I remember that campaign! It was around 93 wasn't it? I was living in Vancouver and, though I already knew both were wank beer, I bought both and got sucked into the marketing campaign. I naively believed a big brewer was finally giving the public some input in crafting new beer styles. Yeesh! How gullible.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Strangely (and chromosomally) men always drank the "Y beer right after the X.... while the women always drank two X's in a row, and blamed the "Y" beer for the world's most unruly problems.
In Beerum Veritas

Timmy

Post by Timmy »

I don't have a great place to store but I like to keep a few Samichlaus for the following year. Mostly barleywines I will store...I'm a little fussy on those. Every thing else gets consumed...LOL

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I'd say Rogue XS IIPA. I've had it for a while, waiting to drink it while I collect a few other IIPA's for a tasing. So far it will incldue the Rogue, Hopslam, Laginitas Maximus and Wild Rose IIPA. I hope to pick up a Tree Hophead IIPA later this month after a trip our west, then it'll be go time.