Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Uncorked-Wine and Spirits Appreciation

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Just make sure it's a 375ml bottle and you fill it to the brim, otherwise there's gonna be too much oxygen, and will render the exercise fruitless.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Torontoblue wrote:One little trick: if you have an empty 375ml bottle laying around, decant half the 750ml of port, and seal. This will keep then keep for a good few months in the fridge, as it's had very little oxygen contact; and this is from the CEO of Taylor Fladgate! Recently did this with a 91 vintage, and it was drinking really well 4 months after initial opening.
Neat trick to exclude the oxygen. Funny that I didn't know that about fortified wines and was flavoring dishes with an Oloroso sherry for years with great results - technically that shouldn't remain usable, although cooking changes the chemical composition of wines anyway, so hard to say..

The other trick for preserving wine is inert gas, spraying it in a partially-empty bottle to displace damaging oxygen. Anybody tried it?
In Beerum Veritas

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Turns out I had already discarded that rye bottle, not sure when it happened but oh well am just going to work on slowly emptying this bottle of port through the next couple weeks
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Post back what you think of it, especially as you go through the weeks.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Wonsheimer Sonnenberg Siegerrebe & Ortega Spätlese QmP 1989 - a very well-built concentrated white wine with Muscat-like qualities, some Sauternes-like apricot tang to balance the sweetness which has become more delicate.

This Rheinhessen beauty has aged gracefully, untouched in a cellar for 25 years.
In Beerum Veritas

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Martin Codax Albarino 2011. Currently a $5.00 reduction at the local Real Canadian Liquor Store; so $14.45 a bottle.

Really fresh, bright, floral & mineral. Wonderfully acidic flavours of lemon & lime, with some peach coming through. Lovely dry finish. And not a hint of oak anywhere :D

Really got a taste for Albarino when in Barcelona last May. Such a refreshing, acidic, dry grape.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Tokaji Aszú 2005 (St. Stephan's Crown 3 Puttonyos) - very flavorful tart-rich dessert wine with a golden topaz color. Late harvest botytised 'noble rot' style. Concentrated tangy-sweet pit fruit/apricot and honey, not unlike Sauternes but minus lychee fruit. Has some gentle barrel-madeirized character which along with the Muscat flavors reminds me of Thomas Hardy Ale. Truly a sipping wine that wraps its charms around you and makes you happy and warm. I think I stumbled on this semi-rare gem a year or two ago. I like that it has some rusticity VS the elegance - not a world beater but many people would really enjoy the ride.

In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I'm drinking Pech Redon L'épervier 2010 Syrah/Mourvede/etc while cooking some classic beef stew I added it to. Aroma in the house is pretty good.

I used Beretta Farms organic outside round (bottom round roast) cut into two-inch cubes, and I think anyone could cook this. The large chunks of beef are impressive when browned in butter and should hold their shape well for long, gradual braising/stewing.

For recipe I also softened / browned onions carrots celery and garlic, finally adding reduced chicken stock and reduced chopped tomatoes and wine for the simmer with bay leaf, thyme and peppercorns . If you don't make a sticky mess in the pot first (which the French call a 'fond') before adding liquids then you aren't doing it right.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

2012 Latour Pinot Noir Bourgogne - a decent-value, archetypal Burgundy that seems to benefit from a bit of aeration as well as some cooling down (if you're drinking all your reds at 20-25º C you may be missing the best they offer, some show their best cooled down a bit before pouring, even served cold then let it warm up after glass contact.) Hints of cherry and vanilla, the desirable 'racy' acidity good red pinot is known for. General list, straightforward but flawless and just twenty bucks!

Anybody suggest great Burgundy-style reds from the LC?
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

André Delorme Bourgogne Pinot Noir 2010 - usually with 20-dollar reds from Burgundy, there are few standouts or bargains - even for the favored 2010 vintage the Delorme is a dry, tart wine with thin berry fruit and sour cherry, it will pucker you cheeks rather than beguile you with the layered dimensionality you hope to find in good Pinot Noir. It's still pretty well-made but I like the 2012 Latour a little better. Maybe I'll make the next Boef Bourguignon out of this, the acidity should work well.

Got a Bicycle Pinot Noir at LC as well today, from Chile 10.95, usually this vintner over-delivers for the price, see reviews (the Viognier is only $9.95 and pretty damn good if you like dry white wines.)

Also got a Pierre Sparr Crémant D'Alsace, an amazing Champagne-method wine made with 100% Pinot Noir juice which is given limited time on the Black Pinot Noir grape skins to give it color plus enhanced aromatics, flavor and structure. Lots of work is involved to bottle-carbonate wines Champagne-style instead of using force carbonation. A great value at 17.95.
Last edited by Belgian on Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

That's a stupidly good price on the Pierre Sparr Cremant Rose, and it's a good alternative to the more popular Champagne.

This Cremant is around $26.99 in Alberta & $29.99 in BC!!!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The Pierre Sparr is appreciated by locals who know their wine. I've yet to have had a bad Crémant de Loire, d' Alsace, de Limoux, de Bourgogne - there are about eight kinds & they seem like bargains.

By contrast Martini Asti Spumante and Henkel Trocken seem way overpriced for what they are - almost wine soda pop with low alcohol and little structure or flavor. Not terrible wines per se, they're just the wine equivalent of Carlsberg Light (in Italy the cheaper sparkling wines are served on draught like inexpensive beer as a light refresher and without any Champagne pretensions.) Consider spending 2-3 bucks more for Crémant or similar.

Henry of Pelham Cuvée Catharine Brut and possibly other Ontario wines out-perform their price point. I also recently had a New Zealand Chard/Pinot that was killer, was on sale and terrific (Gold Medal California this year.)
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Chateau Brandeau 2010 Cotes de Castillon Bordeaux - 16.95, LCBO. Has some cassis and cherry and berry fruit, a touch herbals and cedar. Exactly the kind of decently-made but workmanlike bordeaux red you'd find at a Waldi or Netto discount store in Germany for 2 or 3 Euro. Read the back label for a funny story.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Chateau Vieille Dynastie - Lalande Pomerol 2011 - this is a crowd-pleasing Pomerol that old-world wine people might like also. For 25.95 it offers big round flavors and decent structure, a merlot-driven Bordeaux blend made to enjoy right now though it should keep a while. I might just grab a few more...
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Marchand-Tawse Pinot Noir Bourgogne 2011 - very nice with sautéed shiitake cauliflower & grilled lamb sausage from Meat Dept on Danforth. Tart cherry and red currant, good acidity would make a killer stew. Senseless 8-dollar price jump from the superior 2009 the LCBO sold last year for 21.95. A little hyped, perhaps. If it were slightly more complex and a smidgen cheaper I'd buy more - otherwise I'd say pass on the Marchand Tawse and buy the general-list 2012 Latour.

* Edit * years later it's now the 2014 vintage, and I have a feeling I will return it without buying given the lacklustre review notes. Latour is on sale now anyway!
Last edited by Belgian on Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas