Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Uncorked-Wine and Spirits Appreciation

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:I only noticed it in the last LCBO mailing because it was a style/region I always look out for. The number just makes me a little more interested than I already was.

Besides, if the hype tricks me into enjoying it more, I'm still enjoying it, aren't I?
No question. The high score can lead you to the WHY of it being a wine you've never tried before that's particularly good for its type (=education) and it can lead to the WTF of being a wine others like and you don't (=disappointment). Sometimes you get both! I don't resent a less-than-favorite wine style that teaches me something new in that particular bottle.

But knowing about the region, style, producer and grape puts you in a fair advantage position to know what you'll get and it over-delivering based on your experience of liking that style.

[short version - drink more wine]
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Belgian wrote:drink more wine
If you insist...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

With dinner had some Mondavi 2000 Cabernet Reserve the host pulled out... cork crumbled to pieces, but it was a nice bottle.

Followed by a Farnese Sangiovese for 7.95, and only 13.05 if you buy the magnum size. Really decent for the price, a well-finished table wine.
In Beerum Veritas

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Been getting really bored of beer recently, and the increasingly high prices for sub-par beers, so turning to wine more often.

Tonight was a lovely tipple from Roussillon; M. Chapoutier`s Cotes du Roussillon Villages Bila Haut Rouge 2012. A nice blend of Syrah, Grenache & Carignan. Well balanced for a 14.5% wine, and it`s happy to be drank solo; no food required. And a fair bargain at $15.99.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Torontoblue wrote: from Roussillon; M. Chapoutier`s Cotes du Roussillon Villages Bila Haut Rouge 2012. A nice blend of Syrah, Grenache & Carignan. Well balanced for a 14.5% wine, and it`s happy to be drank solo; no food required. And a fair bargain at $15.99.
Even cheaper at the state-run milk bar!

What you describe in the CDRouss l also like from a lot of Rhone wines, they have the range to be enjoyed by themselves or in the accompaniment of many foods. And they go very well in stews if you need to! (Big pure syrah/grenache flavors with enough acid and dryness to build a good flavor, but usually no oak flavors which you can avoid.)
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Château La Verrière 2010 Bordeaux, for me kind of a blankly expressionless and vaguely incomplete Bordeaux (in Europe it would be no more than a quarter the price) but it's OK with some tannins vanilla mineral and spice. I think Cahors or Bergerac are where you want to go in this value price range, Madiran even! (Read the breathless Vintages notes written by our own LCBO, naive of me but I expected more than glorified table wine.)
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Whenever I see that something was written by the Vintages Panel I more or less dismiss it out of hand.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

And for the same wine, but from Wine Enthusiast. "This wine is all wood, with no promise of fruit.". 81 Pts.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Torontoblue wrote:And for the same wine, but from Wine Enthusiast. "This wine is all wood, with no promise of fruit.". 81 Pts.
- Ahh well noted Mister Sid.

The LC do seem to hand-pick any 'pro' ratings that serve their own end$ - and, failing that, they make some reviews up. It doesn't have to be lying if it's just the arguable positives & not mention outside views that are different.

Speaking to some LC store people, some employees and wine-educated staff contribute to the Vintages Panel, but of course a third-party opinion is preferable to one that is hand-picked by or cobbled together from its own people's reviews.

It's a drag that I have to go look for real reviews elsewhere and cannot rely on the point-of-sale blurbs (which should be there to help us if they serve a purpose.)
In Beerum Veritas

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Craig wrote:I'm definitely going to pick up one or two of these:

http://foodanddrink.ca/lcbo-ear/lcbo/pr ... ber=976662

As much as we can all agree that scores aren't the be-all end-all, getting a 100 and wine of the year is pretty impressive at that price point.
So this piqued my interest and Drinkvine alerted me that it's in my area. 2 stores said they either didn't get it or it sold out. One store with 18 in stock said the 12 that they have are first come first serve tomorrow when they open. 1 bottle limit. WTF!!!

I hate you Craig! I hate you for making me want this and the trouble I'm going through to get it.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

PRODUTTORI DEL BARBARESCO BARBARESCO 2009
VINTAGES 708826 | 750 mL bottle

Price $ 41.95

Saw this disappearing fast so grabbed one on impulse. My first Barbaresco I can recall buying, which is of the same grape (Nebbiolo) and similar region to Barolo (with wines that are less weighty in exchange for more elegance.) Extremely pleasing red with tart plum skin & dark cherry, minty herbals, tar and licorice, and with the kind of mouth feel that tannin and acidity were invented for, thanks to the lime clay soil. Not for everyone but incredible.

Said to be showing more 'aged maturity' than it now has yet with signs of ample cellaring potential. I might be in for a few more, early Santa Present for me. I'm tasting lingering tar and don't know why I love it.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Kish84 wrote:
Craig wrote:I'm definitely going to pick up one or two of these:

http://foodanddrink.ca/lcbo-ear/lcbo/pr ... ber=976662

As much as we can all agree that scores aren't the be-all end-all, getting a 100 and wine of the year is pretty impressive at that price point.
So this piqued my interest and Drinkvine alerted me that it's in my area. 2 stores said they either didn't get it or it sold out. One store with 18 in stock said the 12 that they have are first come first serve tomorrow when they open. 1 bottle limit. WTF!!!

I hate you Craig! I hate you for making me want this and the trouble I'm going through to get it.
Dang, I can't even try to get some until Sunday. Hope I don't strike out.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I snuck out and tried Elora and Fergus. Someone lined up first thing and took the full case in both places. I gather this was in high demand.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Craig wrote:I snuck out and tried Elora and Fergus. Someone lined up first thing and took the full case in both places. I gather this was in high demand.
Yup, was told at my local that people have called for months to get it put aside.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ That's uncool. Some stores setting it all aside, some a one bottle limit? If there's no consistency, and you don't know what day or time, that's bad service. I bet the store staff looked after 'their own' if the manager wasn't watching.

Anyway yes it was in high demand and people lining up at least a quarter to nine o'clock. I was more curious about the score than the wine type, and hope the early-birders who got their fair allocation enjoy this wine for what it is.

I did get a 2012 Ascheri Barbera D'Alba I've been wanting to try. Super priced wine type for what it is, another Piedmont like the Nebbiolo-based wines.
In Beerum Veritas