Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Uncorked-Wine and Spirits Appreciation

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Kokkinos Xinomavro 2010, bottle #2 is again excellent.

Bila Haut Occultum Lapidem 2013,
Good vintage. Definitely more 'round' than dry especially after the Kokkinos. The 10% Carignan lends some complicated Garrigue herbals to the ripe blackberry, licorice and warm spice.
This came out about a year ago but Gravenhurst may still have 4 bottles if you are in cottage country.
In Beerum Veritas

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

had some of this

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/master ... AAsWTMrLnA

tonight and thought it was splendid, possibly the best rye ive had

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Lionel Osmin Mon Adour Madiran 2011

Very worthwhile, 'Cab Bordeaux'-styled Madiran now showing a little drinkable maturity but it could sleep in the cellar for a few to several years as well. The dense inky Tannat grape features prominently in this blend balanced by red 20% Cabernet Franc / 10% Cabernet Sauvignon (some are 100% Tannat and probably need a few decades to soften - and speaking of that I suspect this glass-ready wine was carefully 'aged' with the modern technique of micro-oxygenation.)

It has a medium to dense palate. Some surprising vanilla (even hints of fresh butter - but not oaked?) compliments the deep blackberry component of the black fruit, and there's the wonderful dryness and tannic acid presence the Tannat is known (and named) for lending good structure. I like this already right now and it's not a bad value - certainly a competent introduction to the 'black' wines of the Madiran region that in antiquity was - like Cahors and Bergerac - affiliated with (& blending its excellent grapes into) Bordeaux wines (AKA Claret.)

I want to use a little of this young Madiran to pan-braise some sausage or a flank steak, and that's a compliment. The colours and deep flavors are intense.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Château Laulan Ducos Médoc 2010

Pretty decent from the esteemed 2010 vintage, still showing some green pepper but also a bit of soft black cherry, cassis wild blueberry and even ripe blackberry, a touch woody spice with hints of medicinal herbals and mineral. Complex finish has a tiny hint of tarry petrol, nice. It's pure Medoc character, velvety tannins, good to drink right now. Gift from friends.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Nada Giuseppe Casot Barbaresco 2012

Wow, an approachable 2012 Barbaresco (Nebbiolo varietal red from the Piedmont, Italy) showing great matured complex black cherry fruit (cassis, tart berry) over ample but softening tannins. I was wondering if I'd get a slightly more complicated wine, but there are some nice herbals and very dried raisiny overtones. Some sanguine meat and smoke as it opens up! Has a graceful structure Barbaresco is noted for. Long velvety but dry and acidic palate. Tastes like the sun & earth of Italy - good wine is travel in a bottle, magic.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:Still enjoying the2005 Ch. De Gaudou Cahors, which you guys might know is mostly Malbec, from the Southwest of France where the grape originates. Cahors makes great solid reds - many under 15 bucks.
4.5 years later, still a nice drop. The 15% Merlot in the blend seems to accentuate the maturity and the 80% Malbec / 5% Tannat more than adequately support structure and well-evolved tannins. It's definitely 'deepened' and trading off its brightness and young fruit for warmth and depth and a little spice. I caught this last bottle at a good stage.

I also have a 2003 Château Lagrézette Cahors Cru d'Exception - this vintage can age upwards of 20 years, but I might open it in the next few.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:Tessellae Côtes du Roussillon Old Vines Grenache/Syrah/Mourvèdre 2013
All that preamble to announce that yes, this is a wine made with a classic Southern Rhone grape blend, but no it's not just like those wines.

The climate & terroir of this part of Roussillon make a solidly-structured red that is also delicate (I'm reminded of Faustino that way) showing Neufdupape-like three-dimensional blackberry and bramble and other wild berries, a nice tart acidity, just enough dryness, and a very posed palate. It's really good. The 'garrigue' of herbaceous florals and herbs and a woody element balances it well.

'Should' mature to 2017-18, and drinking well right now. Blink and you'll miss it.

ADD NOTE - this was left in the fridge a few days. Wow - it's actually improved!! I need more of this, and I suggest decanting so it can breathe.
ANOTHER ADD NOTE - drinking well 14 months later - but still slightly 'dumb' and sugary when you open it, this really needs some time in the decanter or else just put it back in the fridge for a day or two after you've had a sip. It develops a really nice dry-acidic-tannic structure. Second bottle this week, it's so tasty and I will save another 2013 bottle for a year or two to see if it opens up some more. Superior GSM and Rhone blends are the unheralded values for short-term aging and semi-near term enjoyment. It's all in how you present them.

The 2014 is currently for sale, nearly as well-rated (well 91 VS 94 so not that close.) Might have to try that one. I love Grenache and it's foremost in the grape blend but in this one the Syrah really asserts the spicy velvety and fruit tones.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Les Amouriers Signature Vacqueyras 2012

Wow I love Southern Rhône wines with expressive Grenache, and this one delivers (released 10 months ago, alas limited availability now). The palate is perfect - a little acid-y and dry displaying some mineral and cassis-like dark fruit. Black-plummy, sun-baked blackberry, herbaceous Garrigue, light pepper and liquorice, total winner. This is not a Chateau Neuf-du-Pape but simpler in nature and with a little of the character & that matures a lot sooner. Wow! Buy this label if it comes back in January. The feel on the palate and cheeks is great, it's got that tart black plum skin.
Last edited by Belgian on Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:Les Amouriers Signature Vacqueyras 2012

Wow I love Southern Rhône wines with expressive Grenache, and this one delivers (released 10 months ago, alas limited availability now). The palate is perfect - a little acid-y and dry displaying some mineral and cassis-like dark fruit. Black-plummy, sun-baked blackberry, herbaceous Garrigue, light pepper and liquorice, total winner. This is not a Chateau Neuf-du-Pape but simpler in nature and with a little of the character & that matures a lot sooner. Wow! Buy this label if it comes back in January. The feel on the palate and cheeks is great, it's got that tart black plum skin.
I got a bunch more of these in Kingston. It helps they didn't post the rave review / "91" score on the shelf where they were selling it. Amazing, really pure Rhone grape expression. As I mentioned the bouncy vibrant Grenache is forward in the blend which I personally love (with the Syrah adding moderate ripe-berry richness and sandalwoody spice, and a little Mourvédre adding an inky color and a whiff of brooding intensity.)
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Another of these, just an excellent solid dry red. There are other Madirans lurking at the LC for 18-23 dollars. Worth a go.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Simonnet-Febvre Brut Crémant de Bourgogne

Another pretty good Champagne-alike, this one featuring Chardonnay and Pinot Noir in the blend - bottle refermented in the same classic method of Champagne sparkling wine. Does not have the lees-aged Brioche character of Perle d'Aurore, but is bright and fresh with good pale pit fruit / Granny Smith apple and a clean and moderately dry acidy balanced palate. A good deal like the Bouillot.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Les Amouriers Signature Vacqueyras 2012
Another good bottle. Grabbed four more at Weston and 401 today. Left one there for the unsuspecting wine traveler.

In fact, this was a 26.95 wine marked down to 21.25. So I still have half a case (saving close to $46 on the last eight) and this good-value Vacqueyras should age well for a few years if it lasts that long.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I know you don't get much company in here Belgian, but I very much enjoy your reviews. Please keep it up.

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

Craig wrote:I know you don't get much company in here Belgian, but I very much enjoy your reviews. Please keep it up.
Same - I try to grab a couple of bottles every Vintages release and this thread is a great help!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Château Pey de Pont 2010 Medoc Bordeaux Cru Bourgeois

About $22 at LCBO a year or two ago. Fully ripe now, recommended opening was 2017 & drinking well from last year. Classic Bordeaux structure is nicely tannic with good acid and some dusty stony mineral. Expected dark Cassis fruit, very ripe blackberry hint of black cherry, subtle spice and butter from the oak finishing. Good-sized Bordeaux for the price, a medium-weight but fully-worthy contender.

^ Linked the Cru Bourgeois article because it's worth knowing this sub-appellation (often quality is nearing good-albeit-expensive Cru Classe wines) and because some recent vintages of Bordeaux are reportedly far from universally stellar. I'm waiting it out or else relying on good advice for specific exceptional finds like this 2010 Medoc. Wish I had a few more!
In Beerum Veritas