Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Uncorked-Wine and Spirits Appreciation

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:The Bellevue La Foret Fronton was kind of sad this year (used to be a great cheap Negrette-based wine but I'd skip it from now on buying Bouissel or Larou Fronton instead.)
Château Bellevue La Forêt 2013 Fronton - again not bad and not great, for me it has some plonky homemade wine aspects that obscure the deep berry and spice. Quite a comedown after the very decent Blaignan.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Domaine de la Denante Les Maillettes Saint-Véran 2014

A (Chardonnay) White wine from Burgundy, layers of fruits and oak, pretty much nails everything a white wine should be, and I don't usually go for Chard so this seems really well done. Velvety, tart, bright fruit, creamy, very lightly herbal, put together so well with just a nice seam of acidity.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I had a Luis Canas Reserva 2005 out of the cellar this week. It was terrific! Lots of strong fruit flavours, cherry, plum, cassis and some chocolate notes. The tannins are still kicking around, but nicely blended in now. Terrific, one of those bottles that makes me glad I'm keeping a cellar going.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Thought I'd ask this here...anyone know what happened to the WWW whisky site...it's been down for some time.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Today I had a Lan Grand Reserva from 05. Very nice bottle, but not as good as the Luis Canas was.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Château d'Aquéria Tavel 2016

This is a nice summery (or whenevery) classic wine from the South or France showing nice Garrigue herbals alongside the gentle florals and strawberry like fruit. It's also an intense colour that I think helps makes Tavel popular.

There are other just as tasty French Rosés for less Gelt such as (probably the current) Val Joanis but this is a classic worth experiencing in my opinion. And women will freak out over its colour, just IME.

If only everyday wines like this were priced in Ontario like everyday wines. That'll never happen.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

La Cave du Coudray Réserve du Chiron Muscadet Sèvre et Maine 2015 - Melon de Bourgogne

This is a Sur Lie-aged Muscadet with clean lines and decent balancing acidity against the fruit. Moderate palate. It doesn't blow me away but it has the well-made French white wine thing down pat in a bargain price range. Fruits are pale pit fruit and an almost lemony tang.
Probably just the thing for tearing into a plate of jumbo grilled shrimp. We're just having Kristapsons salmon.

González Byass Nutty Solera Medium Oloroso Sherry

Picked this up needing something for the pot, and it also sips very well. Crazy value. Besides the nutty and fruity tones, there is an unmistakable Umami element that makes it intriguing in the glass and adds a mysterious X element to dishes like like the Coq au Vin now simmering on the hearth. You could use this sweet-ish Oloroso to braise pears or cook with veal and wild mushrooms and thyme, eat with any kind of cheese or dried fruit, basically run wild with it. It's good stuff.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Monte Hiniesta 2011 (Tempranillo Blend)

Picking this up was a good gamble even if it may be not exactly my style. It's a bit fat and some like it zaftig so that's not a bad thing, I just like mostly dry wines.
Good forward deep cherry-berry-dried black fruit and warm spicy tones, new and recent oak bring toast and vanilla in a good balance. Pan-warmed wild blueberries and strawberries come to fore, clove and licorice herbals, maybe some candied blood orange, and the tannins are there to carry all this weight of very old vine fruit, that deep concentration. Ahh there's the black plum peel appeal. It evolves on the palate from yeah pretty good to pretty great.
I want to firm this up a bit with some fridge time and oxygen exposure. I think people who like really solid Syrah/Shiraz like a St. Josef might find this very pleasing and a great value, it's a crossover wine with both easy appeal and solid character.

* edit * I'm using the last 300 ml in a sauer kraut and sausage braise, Select Fine Foods Berkshire Brats from Fiesta Farms, Jacobs Mennonite kraut from Fresh From The Farm, shallots bay leaf and caraway and apples. Damn this smells good.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Château L'Espérance 2010 Bordeaux Merlot blend

Nice typical medium-sized palate Bordeaux red with cassis and stone, wild herbs. Tannins are rounded, this can be had right now. Nice seam of acidity. Fighting off a sinus irritation I got swimming at the lake over the weekend, I'll try anything to get rid of it and wine can't hurt LOL.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Chateau Haut-Piquat 2010 (Merlot Bordeaux)

I saw this attractively-labeled 2010 Bordeaux for $23 and though it must be worth a try, and yes it is indeed a worthy if relatively humble Merlot-based red with some of that old Bordeaux terroir character and a silky feel. Definitely not big bones or strong tannins, a drinker of big ripe Syrah reds would get along with these plums and gentle spice, also nuances of simmered wild blueberry. Actually pretty for a Bordeaux while still having that stony-earthy reminder of whence it came. Subtle nose though. What it lacks in greater complexity and aroma it compensates in great value and maturity. Some nice acids and warm alcohol support the somewhat delicate fruit structure making it far from a weak wine. What a pleasure, could easily enjoy the bottle.
^ final pour shows some tartrate crystal formation ('wine diamonds') which shows the wine was not excessively filtered or processed and therefore well suited to cellar maturation with lower risk of oxidation. These harmless crystals form over time.

There are a number of interesting Vintages new release French reds from the Midi and so forth, all are reasonable and some well spoken of. I'd consider having a look. Today I also grabbed a 2016 Perrin Tavel (fancy pink juice priced for its trendy So-France looks and style, bursting with fresh summery flavors) & a fast-disappearing 2012 Laplace Madiran (underrated powerful SW French red made with 80% Tannat grape.)
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Tsantali Reserve Rapsani 2012 Xinomavro, Krassato and Stavroto blend

Well this is over four bucks off and said 'Xinomavro', sold! An expressive slightly herbal and very Adriatic/Mediterranean style wine, as much savory and sanguine as it is black and red ripe berry fruit, pomegranate even a bit ocean salt, olive, tobacco, hint of kelp or iodine and some mineral.

It conveys warmth, I picture myself with my feet in the warm surf watching a sunset sipping this after an excellent grilled fish dinner. Good fullness and structure, the oak lending spice and subtle vanilla tones. Unapologetic regional-style wine, very good.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Excellent WineAlign piece about the more correct use of the Chardonnay grape bringing back its excellence not just in France but globally.

I would check out a Chablis or other French and maybe and Ontarian and a Chilean or such. These are good times for (some) even very affordable more wines being made better than ever.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

2016 Perrin Tavel

Another decent Rosé showing some herbs and acidity with the (straw)berry acidity. At a glace I'd say the Château d'Aquéria Tavel 2016
is better in overall palate and structure, to me this Perrin one seems a tad fruity sweet and simple so I'd chill it well. A still very good and likable summer wine if you can bear the price gouge.

** Edit ** here's a nice bit on the excessive paleness and fruitiness of some Rosés, and how marketing plays into it. CBTR: it's not a quest for quality that is changing the wines, it's chasing silly non-traditional goals vintners believe will ensure their marketability. Ch. d'Aquéria arguably not among those who are lowering all ships. "Rosé Racism."
Last edited by Belgian on Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Fiorini Corte degli Attimi Lambrusco Di Sorbara 2015

Wow here is a super nice sparkling Italian reddish Rosé showing amazing tangy and full red fruit, and attractive old barrel nuances (OK maybe there's no barrel and I'm just getting complex yeasty notes.) Add the natural carbonation and this has a really nice zing to it. A fairly serious wine masquerading as a fun thing. Worth every cent.
Wikipedia wrote:Located north of Modena near the village of Sorbara, Sorbara is generally regarded as the highest quality variety producing the most fragrant wines. It has some similarities to Lambrusco Salamino but produces a darker and more full-bodied wine. The color can range from a deep ruby to a purplish hue. In this wine region only Sorbara and Salamino are permitted in the DOC designated wine with at least 60% needing to be Sorbara.[4] The Salamino and Sorbara varieties tend to produce the most acidic wines. One of the reasons why Sorbara tends to produce the highest quality Lambrusco is the tendency of the vine to drop its flowers, which reduces fruit yields and concentrates flavors.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Emu Oloroso Sherry

^ You can't click this. It's not this one, but I bet you for no money that the Amontillado is decent for kitchen use as well, or serving to people that like, well, whatever. I rescued this bottle (along with a questionable old VQA Meritage blend I will report on later) from my sister's recent liquor cabinet clearance. She is not much of a drinker and still less of a remotely informed one, so things accumulate at her place when people bring them over. Anyway...

The Emu Oloroso is fairly stolid and simple, lots of dried black fruit notably prune. It's pruney! I would try it in braising dishes or else for sauteeing bananas for breakfast. Maybe pruney sherry would be killer with braised shank of lamb. I don't know! Not tons of earthy-umami complexity going on here that you would get with many a good (non-fake) Xerez Solera, yet surprising quality for an utterly bargain-bin price. Today there are many beers that cost more than this reasonably-presentable product. Which you can't buy now. But if you could...
In Beerum Veritas