Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Uncorked-Wine and Spirits Appreciation

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I heard that Aberlour 12 year old SM Scotch is a screaming value at the LCBO. Not at all peat-y, in blind tastings comparable quality to bottles in the multi-hundred dollar range.

Château Saint Nabor Côtes du Rhône White 2015
Now trying this well-priced Rhône white, it's round and has some interesting pale fruit and herbal dryness. Seems at first a bit basic but you know, 14 bones... I think Cono Sur whites for 12 or so bucks still rival this, but it's really all about trying diverse wine styles and regions for all that they offer and this is still a treat.
This bottle seems to improve with time in the fridge after opening. Don't rush this.

Halos de Jupiter Côtes du Rhône 2014 Grenache/Syrah
Picked it up, looking forward to try this Rhône red based on store recommendation & will update.
Last edited by Belgian on Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
In Beerum Veritas

portwood

Post by portwood »

Belgian wrote:I heard that Aberlour 12 year old SM Scotch is a screaming value at the LCBO. Not at all peat-y, in blind tastings comparable quality to bottles in the multi-hundred dollar range.
Aberlour 12 is a decent "starter"single malt and well priced (by LCBO "standards") but in no way "comparable quality to bottles in the multi-hundred dollar range".

The currently available (un-peated) winner in QPR is Benromach 10yo:
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/benrom ... OGu6_krI2w

it beats the Aberlour on proof, smell, flavour, character, and price!

Another unpeated that beats the Aberlour on smell and taste would Glendronach 8yo:
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/glendr ... OGwo_krI2w
@markhamwhisky

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

portwood wrote:The currently available (un-peated) winner in QPR is Benromach 10yo:
I picked this up, mainly because it was at a price I was OK with paying. I like it quite a bit, I can't say I know a lot about scotch, I either like it or not. I'm a fan of Islays, love the Ardbeg 10, but I'm not paying $100 for that. I had a friend that was in school in England, and she surprised me with an Ardbeg gift pack, and glass that still worked out to less than a bottle here, it came with a bottle of the 10, and samples of the Uigeadail, and Corryvreckan.

What, if there is anything, would you recommend for a peated scotch, similar in price to this, or up to $80ish.

A new distillery is opening in Ayr next Saturday (15th) Willibald Farm Distillery. I'm very excited about it, they're opening with a barrel-aged Gin, I've had a chance to sample the base, and it was one of the best gins I've had.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

portwood

Post by portwood »

Kish84 wrote:
portwood wrote:The currently available (un-peated) winner in QPR is Benromach 10yo:
What, if there is anything, would you recommend for a peated scotch, similar in price to this, or up to $80ish.
Highly peated Scotch in general, and Islay in particular, are near the top in hype/pricing. So, its difficult to find great stuff similar to Ardbeg 10 under 100 bucks in Ontario.

Worth looking at:
Bowmore 12 ($65) is good but very different than Ardbeg (also weaker at 40% vs 46%)
Johnnie Walker Green ($80) this one has no grain, its a blend of single malts, including Caol Ila & Talisker - both high in peat levels
Johnnie Walker Black ($57) yeah, its not a single malt but its one of the best blends available - many would say its the 2nd best JW after the Green

Top peat picks would be:
Laphroaig Quarter Cask ($75) this is slap in the face peat smoke! A must try for everyone into that kind of flavour profile. Don't pay regular price, LCBO has it on sale every few of months.
Ledaig 10 ($70) I haven't tried this one but it gets good reviews. Its highly peated but not from Islay.

Outside your price limit, but my money would go to Longrow . For a board discussing "craft" beer, Longow (made at the Springbank distillery) is as "craft" as craft gets in the Scotch industry!!!
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/longro ... Ooca9IrLb0
@markhamwhisky

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

portwood wrote:Highly peated Scotch in general, and Islay in particular, are near the top in hype/pricing. So, its difficult to find great stuff similar to Ardbeg 10 under 100 bucks in Ontario.

Worth looking at:
Bowmore 12 ($65) is good but very different than Ardbeg (also weaker at 40% vs 46%)
Johnnie Walker Green ($80) this one has no grain, its a blend of single malts, including Caol Ila & Talisker - both high in peat levels
Johnnie Walker Black ($57) yeah, its not a single malt but its one of the best blends available - many would say its the 2nd best JW after the Green

Top peat picks would be:
Laphroaig Quarter Cask ($75) this is slap in the face peat smoke! A must try for everyone into that kind of flavour profile. Don't pay regular price, LCBO has it on sale every few of months.
Ledaig 10 ($70) I haven't tried this one but it gets good reviews. Its highly peated but not from Islay.

Outside your price limit, but my money would go to Longrow . For a board discussing "craft" beer, Longow (made at the Springbank distillery) is as "craft" as craft gets in the Scotch industry!!!
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/longro ... Ooca9IrLb0
Thanks! Funny enough, I've tried all except the Ledaig 10 and Longrow. I'm about to come into some extra money so I could spend a bit more. The Ledaig 10 is available at one store here, Brampton is the closest to me for the Longrow.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

portwood

Post by portwood »

Kish84 wrote:The Ledaig 10 is available at one store here, Brampton is the closest to me for the Longrow.
Both can be ordered online with free delivery to your nearest store
@markhamwhisky

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:Halos de Jupiter Côtes du Rhône 2014 Grenache/Syrah
Picked it up, looking forward to try this Rhône red based on store recommendation & will update.
Yes also very nice, full like you'd expect as a Syrah-based red with 40% Grenache opening it up Some tartness fruit and spice. A moderately good value for the LCBO.

"Cellaring: Although this wine could be enjoyed young, it will only develop its full character later. It will keep its freshness for at least 5 years after bottling."
In Beerum Veritas

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Belgian wrote:Chanson Réserve du Bastion Pinot Noir (Burgundy)
Pretty aromas. Palate is tart and lithe, with cherry flavors emphasizing sour rather than layered berry depth. Florals and herbals add some complexity. Well-crafted for its simplicity and good foil for burgers or thin crust pizza. Latour may be better overall but haven't had it lately.

4 dollars off though March, might make some Coq au Vin or braised beef short ribs using a bit of it. Decent.
* update * drinks well the 2nd day as well with some aeration, you know what good stuff though it's dry. It will hurt to spend 22- a bottle, might grab a few more now.
I didn't love this but I think it was the pairing. My wife made a lovely leg of lamb, and I thought Pinot and leg of lamb were the perfect pairing, but the lamb overpowered the wine. My wife loved the wine though and finished the bottle, so what do I know...
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:I didn't love this (Chanson Réserve du Bastion Pinot Noir) but I think it was the pairing. My wife made a lovely leg of lamb, and I thought Pinot and leg of lamb were the perfect pairing, but the lamb overpowered the wine. My wife loved the wine though and finished the bottle, so what do I know...
Yes bigger reds might stand up to lamb a little better depending on the age, cut and preparation (general tip: I would always cut off excess fat so the lamb's not too strong, and then maybe it's less overpowering next to the wine.)

If all fails, can savor the wine after the meal! This way it's never a loss to try things.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Château des Gimarets Moulin à Vent 2013

This is a very tasty Cru de Beaujolais for a decent price, this one simpler and less richly concentrated than some Moulin-à-Vent Gamay reds, for good effect in this case - no need to age it as it is already well-integrated. Loving the tart cherry and plum skin, licorice, mild herbs and and the crisp blueberry-like acidity of the easy-going palate.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Maison Chandesais Les Guillottes Hautes Côte de Beaune (Burgundy) 2013

Pinot Noir from the land that made it famous. It's interesting France is marketing to recognized grape types these days as much as their traditional regions, now that there is so much international winemaking. This Burgundy is fully tart and dry with nice herbals and acidity. Red cherry-berry fruit leaning to sour, could have more layers and depth despite the linked description.

I actually think the MAV enjoyed yesterday had more of interest going on in it! And the Chanson Reserve du Bastion, alas no longer on sale... I will open another soon.
** ** update - yes the 2014 Chanson Reserve du Bastion is just a better more interesting wine.

And i grabbed a few more of the 2013 Gimarets Beaujolais MAV because I think for a sub-20 dollar wine it offers a lot of character and quality. Not a steak wine but plenty going on in a well-knit package.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:Belgian wrote:
Boutari Grande Reserve Naoussa 2008 - nice grippy tannins and acidity, good layers of fruit under the assertive tart-dry palate, herbs and stony mineral. A runaway hit vintage for this winemaker, good to drink or cellar ...

This one again, no regrets! The minerality of this wine against the tannins and acidity, so nice...
The 2014 vintage is a nice wine (on sale locally almost 3 bucks off) but as expected it's no robust 2008. More lithe and velvety. Still nice cassis-dark berry and stony mineral and light herb notes.

Good Xinomavro character in a simpler wine. Enough tannin to stand up to fat juicy pan-seared rare striploin from Beretta Farms.

A great value for eleven bucks twenty cents. There are no Italian reds to beat this price point. Gonna grab a few spares at the Beaches Waverley store.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Papaioannou Cava Cabernet Sauvignon 2004

Not a Cava style wine (that's Spanish for sparkling) and not visible on lcbo.com website, I suppose it's private order they kindly put on shelves for the locals on the Danforth.

This is a very developed 2004 (!) Cabernet showing the layers of French oak very nicely. Pricey ageing and treatment, and not bad result which would honorably pair with rosemary grilled lamb. Has a brawny Cabernet character smoothed by time. Almost a blackberry- current jam on buttered toast experience, plenty of ripe sweet cassis, a little wood, mouth watering and full flavours and palate, solid tannins that have been rounded by enthusiastic 1.3 decade ageing. When's the last time you got a worthwhile old wine for 26 bucks? I'm glad I tried it, it plays in Bordeaux territory, bottle found at Broadview Greektown LCBO. Gold Prize winner as an Organic cultivation certified in Europe.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:Château de Ségure Fitou 2012 - Carignan, Grenache, Shiraz - Syrah (Languedoc-Roussillon)

Wow, great dark brambly berry fruit showing some dark florals and a saucy dryness, with a tiny whiff of spiciness and herbals. Superb for 16.95. This has some decent body and will stand up to holiday food such as Cajun deep-fried turkey or wild boar roasted on a spit over hot lava.
Terroir La Baume Saint-Paul Fitou 2014 comes in a massive nicely-labeled bottle with a heftier price tag than Ségure.

A very decent wine again, dark fruit and blackberry and raisin, and the new oak does present nicely as smooth light wood and vanilla. The Carignan / Grenache / Syrah blend is deep and mellow. Has moderate acidity and dryness, a medium palate. Easy going while solid. Worth a try.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:
Belgian wrote:Blaignan Medoc 2010
decent value. A nicely-structured red showing the 60/40 Cab-Merlot blend really well with some gentle oak, and I really like it. May age a few if I can keep my hands off them; the tannins are already approachable.
Another one of these, really nice! But all gone now. With some locally-made Cannoli in tomato sauce, nice.
Holy cow, this 2010 Blaignan came back over two years later. Why? Unsold stock from 2014/2015 release?

The tannins are now a bit tea-like. Still the vanilla. The cassis and blueberry are smooth, there's some cherry and while the wine is still a bit bold it may be edging up to its late maturity with a finer elegance. This is not a super big Bordeaux for aging too long but a solid middle class one. Nice to revisit it.

** edit ** there are tartrate crystals in the last pour of this bottle Monday, nice! This means the wine was minimally filtered for ideal longevity and development, and possibly enjoyed at near peak condition. These little dark crystals are weird but they don't taste bad or anything.
In Beerum Veritas