Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Uncorked-Wine and Spirits Appreciation

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

portwood wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:Hey, I've noticed Blanton's mentioned on a few posts. Seems the Original is discontinued however the Single Barrel is not. What are they both like?

I'm pretty new to bourbon (scotch drinker) and am fond of Weller 12 & Eagle Rare. I have a bottle of Knob Creek that doesn't do much for me.

Guess I'm wondering if the Original would be to my liking and I should grab it before it's gone, or if the Single Barrel is more my style, in which case I've got some time. Or maybe neither, so that's cool too. Thanks!
If you ask any bourbon geek, the "Original single barrel" (96 proof) is the one to buy. the "single barrel" (80 proof) is a watered down version and pales by comparison.

Keep in mind Blanton's is from a recipe* using a relatively high portion of rye grain (spicier) in the mash bill compared to Eagle Rare (very low rye) or Weller (zero rye grain, replaced by wheat). Therefore, you may not like Blanton's.

*also note: Blanton's, Eagle Rare, and Weller are all produced by Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek is a Beam product. From the Beam line, consider Maker's Mark (or MM 46) which is a wheat based Bourbon (similar to Weller, though considerably younger and, imo, less refined than Weller12).
I decided to pick up a bottle of the Original before it's gone and am glad I did. While the Weller & Eagle Rare are much more my speed I really enjoyed the spicy difference this had. I'm having a Weller right now and am enjoying the contrast to the Blanton's. Thanks again for the help.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

^^^^ I really wish Kirkwood Diamond would bring in the Cask Strength version. I bought a bottle in Japan and quite enjoyed it.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye named Whiskey of the Year by Jim Murray with a record tying score?!? :o

Looking forward to Portwood's thoughts :D

portwood

Post by portwood »

BakaGaijin wrote:Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye named Whiskey of the Year by Jim Murray with a record tying score?!? :o

Looking forward to Portwood's thoughts :D
I said enough on twitter, which can be summarized as:

Henceforth, the appropriate term for "jumped the shark" will be "Crown Royaled"
@markhamwhisky

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Château de Ségure Fitou 2012 - Carignan, Grenache, Shiraz - Syrah (Languedoc-Roussillon)

Wow, great dark brambly berry fruit showing some dark florals and a saucy dryness, with a tiny whiff of spiciness and herbals. Superb for 16.95. This has some decent body and will stand up to holiday food such as Cajun deep-fried turkey or wild boar roasted on a spit over hot lava.
In Beerum Veritas

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Any cocktail fans in here who'd want to split an order of Carpano Antica Formula vermouth? The finest vermouth for Manhattans, in my experience!

As far as I can tell, they can only be purchased in cases of six from Majestic Wine Cellars, an importer based in Woodbridge: http://majesticwine.ca/product/carpano- ... -vermouth/

If anyone wants to go in on an order, please PM me!

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

shintriad wrote:Any cocktail fans in here who'd want to split an order of Carpano Antica Formula vermouth? The finest vermouth for Manhattans, in my experience!

As far as I can tell, they can only be purchased in cases of six from Majestic Wine Cellars, an importer based in Woodbridge: http://majesticwine.ca/product/carpano- ... -vermouth/

Have you asked LCBO if there is a timetable to receive another order as this vermouth has popped up into Vintages 2-3 times a year or so. I have 5 bottles left over from the LCBO's last province wide bulk order.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

There's a TON of Crémant wines and Champagne from France right now!

I got:
Bouvet Brut Excellence Crémant de Loire
- Chenin Blanc, nice and dry on the lighter side. Tastes great, would be a nice seafood wine. Vintages

Pierre Sparr Crémant d' Alsace Brut Reserve
80% Pinot Blanc, 20% Pinot Noir. More full-bodied and fruity, I'm expecting to like this more than the Bouvet.
(Disregard the LCBO description, this isn't made out of Champagne and doesn't come from Champagne.)

Gardet Cuvée Saint Flavy Brut Tradition Champagne
45% Pinot Noir, 45% Meunier and 10% Chardonnay, 3 years on lees with 20% reserve wine. A value champagne with good flavor and length.

Bailly Lapierre Réserve Brut Crémant de Bourgogne
Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Gamay, Aligoté. I'm expecting the most Champagne-like imitator here from Burgundy. Full-tasting. Vintages.

You may also have luck with some of the better-made Prosecco and Cava wines from Italy and Spain, plus the H. Pelham Cuvee Catherine wines from Ontario are prety great for 29.95. I like keeping it twenty or less for sparkling most of the time and some North or South American wines fit that bill with quality.
Muscato D'Asti are wonderful full fruity lightly-sparkling wines for those who like a sweeter balance with lower ABV and it can be a great deal. A family favorite.
In Beerum Veritas

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Beer'n'gin wrote:
shintriad wrote:Any cocktail fans in here who'd want to split an order of Carpano Antica Formula vermouth? The finest vermouth for Manhattans, in my experience!

Have you asked LCBO if there is a timetable to receive another order as this vermouth has popped up into Vintages 2-3 times a year or so. I have 5 bottles left over from the LCBO's last province wide bulk order.
Thanks for the advice! Will check it out.

Also on the cocktail front: anyone have experience using oak cubes to barrel-age cocktails? I bought some from BYOB but I'm not sure how many to use and for how long for a mason jar full of booze.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Also on the cocktail front: anyone have experience using oak cubes to barrel-age cocktails? I bought some from BYOB but I'm not sure how many to use and for how long for a mason jar full of booze.
I've bought carpano in the LCBO before...it's expensive. This is a great one to acquire in the US if you can as it's close to 1/3 the price.

Hmm..oak cubes in cocktails...not sure how that will go. You can also buy inexpensive barrels. I think typically things are barrel aged for a couple weeks at least.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I would grab decent vermouth. Will look for it in USA. I have to learn more about fortified and distilled stuff.

I was just reading an article / beef thread about 'stuff the LCBO doesn't have' that everyone (or a good number) wants and there are some glaring omissions like a decent vermouth selection and some vodkas like Ciroc, plus they should sell bitters and mixers and ice to go etc.

Apparently people think the product selection is run by people who were bullied in high school and this is their way of getting back at everyone now. Good theory!
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bailly Lapierre Réserve Brut Crémant de Bourgogne
Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Gamay, Aligoté.

Pretty good sparkly fpr a twenty! Will totally work for a midnight toast, or for a good Mimosa with holiday brunch.

* Edit *

Does anybody think
it's weird that alcohol sales are shut down on stat holidays?
Seems kind of like closing down gas stations on a long weekend...
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Pierre Sparr Crémant d' Alsace Brut Reserve
80% Pinot Blanc, 20% Pinot Noir.

Excellent, a total winner with the expressive Pinot Blanc and careful vinification. Probably better than the Bailly Lapierre CDB for my liking, has more zing and a bit of steely acidity. Sparr is just a cool winemaker.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Gardet Cuvée Saint Flavy Brut Tradition Champagne
45% Pinot Noir, 45% Meunier and 10% Chardonnay, 3 years on lees with 20% reserve wine.

Probably as good as the Sparr, maybe a little more complex undertones (the long lees ageing?) and costs over double. I do like the lemony and nutty aspects. This is not for making Mimosas. A very good value Champagne with good flavor & length, worth a try!

Of all these I'd grab more of the Gardet and the Pierre Sparr, plus the Bouillot Rose Brut Perle D'Aurore if or whenever it comes back. The Sparr is general list but you might sometimes find an empty shelf!
In Beerum Veritas

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Question for the spirits enthusiasts in here. I've received $300 in LBCO gift cards as a xmas gift so what would you guys recommend in the way of bourbon/rye/scotch/cognac available from the LCBO right now?