Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Uncorked-Wine and Spirits Appreciation

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

http://lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/ProductResults ... BER=425488

SELLA & MOSCA CANNONAU DI SARDEGNA RISERVA
- Grenache in real old-world style... yes this one's a little tough & mean the minute it is opened but it becomes much finer and tastier with some air. Nice notes of old oakwood, does not taste of sharp new oak tannins or strong vanilla. Really charming fruit & acid profile; I was very much into the character of this wine - just give it some breathing time and serve it around 17º C rather than 'hot room temp' Decent value.
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:http://lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/ProductResults ... BER=425488

SELLA & MOSCA CANNONAU DI SARDEGNA RISERVA
- Grenache in real old-world style... tough & mean when opened but it becomes much finer and tastier with some air. Nice notes of old oakwood, does not taste like sharp new oak tannins or strong vanilla. Really charming fruit & acid profile; I was very much into the character of this wine - just give it some breathing time and serve it around 17º C rather than 'hot room temp' Decent value.

Funny, I just had this a few nights ago and was going to post about it.

My first Italian Grenache, and I believe, my first wine from the island of Sardegna. I agree with the tough and mean comment. I had to let mine breathe a few hours before it was enjoyable. It's quite rustic stuff really...not what I have experienced in Grenache before. And for about $17, you really can't go wrong.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

$15.95 :D
In Beerum Veritas

mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

You'll have to find some casu marzu to have with that :)
Mat

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

CRASTO Douro 2006 - very pleasing - big, balanced and great quality esp. for price. Has a full taste with lots of fruit and a countering dryness that makes it European and not another flabby, juvenile fruit bomb.

Tinta Roriz = Tempranillo, the grape comprising 50% of this progressive Douro Valley wine that reminds me a little of powerful Spanish reds. Imparts a spiciness over the deep ripe-cherry tones.

Drinks very well in its youth, 15 bucks, scored a rare 91 - # 81588 whenever it comes back...
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:CRASTO Douro 2006 - very pleasing - big, balanced and great quality esp. for price. Has a full taste with lots of fruit and a countering dryness that makes it European and not another flabby, juvenile fruit bomb.

Tinta Roriz = Tempranillo, the grape comprising 50% of this progressive Douro Valley wine that reminds me a little of powerful Spanish reds. Imparts a spiciness over the deep ripe-cherry tones.

Drinks very well in its youth, 15 bucks, scored a rare 91 - # 81588 whenever it comes back...

The Crasto was on a release a few months ago, and I assume that is when you picked it up. I meant to grab a bottle, but never got around to it. Damn!

I'll look for it next release. And since I handle the Vintages for my store, Ill be sure to get some for myself before it hits shelves.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yeah months ago, just got to it. Was one of those reflexive purchases... like 'wow 91 AND cheap... well I've hated some Portugese reds in the past but this sounds good" - I'm constantly learning!

By the way I think those 50-100 range scores can be stupid in a way (they don't mean I'll like something) but I figure even 91's and 92's are not given lightly so the wines can't be poorly-made.
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:Yeah months ago, just got to it. Was one of those reflexive purchases... like 'wow 91 AND cheap... well I've hated some Portugese reds in the past but this sounds good" - I'm constantly learning!

By the way I think those 50-100 range scores can be stupid in a way (they don't mean I'll like something) but I figure even 91's and 92's are not given lightly so the wines can't be poorly-made.

You're right. Anything over 90 and over is usually always a safe bet. But some wine writers have some home town bias, and tend to score the local wines 2 or 3 points higher than all other writers. I find this especially the case with Aussie writers. So what I do is find a writer with a similar taste as I, and that is usually a really safe bet.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I grabbed three of these because I like MADIRAN. At $15 it may sell fast?

http://lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/ProductResults ... BER=103705
http://www.pjwine.com/html/wow_06_09_11.html

Sounds like a keep-able wine one can also drink now. Will report back.

And yes Steel, Aussies are delusional about their wines - or that's my two cents in the matter.
In Beerum Veritas

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Auchentoshan Triple Distilled. A Lowland Single Malt, nose of cherry, light peat, vanilla and a slight astringency in the finish. Although I wouldn't hunt it down, what I paid for it in Duty Free, it was certainly a decent value.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

icemachine wrote:Auchentoshan Triple Distilled. A Lowland Single Malt, nose of cherry, light peat, vanilla and a slight astringency in the finish. Although I wouldn't hunt it down, what I paid for it in Duty Free, it was certainly a decent value.

I've had a couple malts from the Auchentoshan distillery. The 12 year old, which is their flagship scotch at the LCBO, and also the Three Wood Malt.

I think I enjoyed the slightly sweeter three wood. In any event, it is not often I bother with the lowland malts, but in this case I was pleased.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:I grabbed three of these
http://lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/ProductResults ... BER=103705
OK this is a pretty rockin' Tannat-based wine (60% that grape, 20%Cab Franc, 20% Cab Sauvignon) with a little toasty oak, solid fruit and nicely rounded tannins. Dry and nicely put together. There is not a wine with a more solid 'middle' than a Madiran. (But don't tell everyone.)
In Beerum Veritas

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Anybody used this yet?

https://www.vintagesshoponline.com/vint ... px?lang=en

Just browsing through it, looks like there is some deals, especially in the bin ends.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

icemachine wrote:Anybody used this yet?

https://www.vintagesshoponline.com/vint ... px?lang=en

Just browsing through it, looks like there is some deals, especially in the bin ends.

I haven't used it yet, but customers have had orders appearing at our store for a few weeks now, due to the bin end sale. Some of the deals are really super.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Seems to cater the habitually spendy wine drinker and that's fine. That appears to be a well-served market segment.

However if the program managed to bring in cool, interesting < $20 wines that were too 'small' for general Vintages release, that would also be cool. Smaller-production wines generally don't serve our provincial retail that well so they don't make it to our shelves. But in this program, we'd snap them up!!

Larger-production wines do (unfortunately) fit the bill for LCBO's need to serve our market evenly. The LC are a just 'big buyer' - huge, and able to exert a lot of power in buying. Sometimes quality still makes it through, however quantity is always a consideration in "The Buying Game."
In Beerum Veritas