Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Uncorked-Wine and Spirits Appreciation

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

I agree with Peter, the portuguese reds represent some of the best value out there right now, I find most of the general list ones to be reliable table wines. Doubt it will be long before everyone discovers the gems and they go the way of the Spanish reds that are so in (and overpriced) at the moment.

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Peter - always a joy to read your rants. Another reason to avoid your products.

Any sign of your sidekick logging on?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGuy wrote: But don't take my word for it. I'm just a worthless LCBO employee with no wine knowledge whatsoever. :roll:
To me... wine is a people's drink, not a sommelier's drink or a marketing expert or Robert Parker's drink - hell if YOU like a wine, you are RIGHT that for you it is a good wine. You are in the drivers seat - while trying to learn all you can, surely, but in the end you don't have to accept anyone's opinion for anything. We SHOULD not always agree in a sense... if that makes sense!

Yeah... Be interesting to see if wine-making Portugal becomes the next "undiscovered Spain" allowing the country to enhance its standing.
In Beerum Veritas

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Mouton Cadet Reserve Medoc 2006

A slight earthy aroma with nice rhubarb, currant and cherry flavours, rather velvety mouthfeel. For 16.95, I would say it is an decent value, nothing spectacular
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Sipping on some Misterio Malbec, also madly popular next to Fuzion.

For a 7.95 red Misterio is good. Aroma a bit raw at first but give it some breathing time and... reveal herb and dark berry aromas that play through in the flavors, no real flaws. Nice darkish red, fairly dense color. Good dryness, relatively simple but decently made.

Cheap wine and worth every cheap-ass nickel. I grabbed three... get 'em quick if you see 'em because the BBQ dads are buying caseloads of this.

-- Oh by the way here's a serving note on the 7.45 hit wine Fuzion, a dubious wine that has been accused of being A) a less awful Yellow Tail and B) really flat in the '08 compared to the '07. Hmh. Might have to try and '08 for the hell of it.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

For great summer value, here's another great link to go with your BBQ sausages...

Here mentioned as described, will try 'em soon!!
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

esprit wrote: ...I have 3 Portuguese General List reds and I won't plug them here but each and every one is cheaper and better than the hopeless Alamos....
Aww don't be shy. The two $10- Pedras Do Monte wines are Esprit - I tried the Castelao long ago, and I may have to try the Cab Sauv-Tinto Roriz.

I get the sense these young reds need proper aeration. Search "Dfj Vinhos" on lcbo.com
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Anyone know who distributes the "luigi bosca malbec reserve"?

My wife really liked it, but the LCBO seems to have sold out for this year.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Derek wrote:Anyone know who distributes the "luigi bosca malbec reserve"?

My wife really liked it, but the LCBO seems to have sold out for this year.
Me. There have been no new orders placed for this wine which is quite surprising seeing as each 2000 case lot has sold out within 4 weeks of hitting the market. The first order we had late last year sold out in 10 days!!!

If you like the Malbec from Luigi Bosca I currently have their Finca La Linda Malbec in stock priced at $15.95 a bottle (but it has to be a full case ordered). If you're interested pm me and I'll sort you out. This is also a huge seller for us, due to the price point and the accessibility of this malbec.

Anyway, just settling down to a fine Rioja from Miguel Torres. The tempranillo grape is my all time favourite and this doesn't disappoint. Wonderfully dry and fruity at the same time but with a huge dry, tannin finish. I love my job :lol:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Petite Mars 2006 - powerful tones of Syrah and Mourvédre.

San Silvestro 2006 Nebbiolo D'Alba - incredibly long and elegant tart-candy cherry finish.

Both great experiences in the 18-24 dollar range.
In Beerum Veritas

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Just finished a wonderful bottle of Luigi Bosca Viognier. Quite possibly the only white wine varietal that I can really enjoy. Bags of fruit with a lovely dry, crisp finish and big enough to compete with some red's too!!!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Torontoblue wrote:Just finished a wonderful bottle of Luigi Bosca Viognier. Quite possibly the only white wine varietal that I can really enjoy. Bags of fruit with a lovely dry, crisp finish and big enough to compete with some red's too!!!
I might try this based on your recommendation.
I like Viognier quite a bit. Probably more than any other white. I love the perfumey floral nose they have. Really quite pleasant.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:Petite Mars 2006 - powerful tones of Syrah and Mourvédre.

San Silvestro 2006 Nebbiolo D'Alba - incredibly long and elegant tart-candy cherry finish.

Both great experiences in the 18-24 dollar range.

I picked up a bottle of the San Silvestro 2006 Nebbiolo D'Alba.

My only experience with this traditionally Pietmontese Varietal is Barbaresco, and Barolo. I don't think I've had Nebbiolo from Alba before.

I got the perfumey nose, the cherry(red and black), the rustic fruit, a bit of char. I was quite surprised with the high level of (preceived) tannin in this. I had to let this sit for quite some time before it was drinkable to my palate. I can't put my finger on it, but this wasn't really like any Nebbiolo I've had. I enjoyed it enough, but not nearly as much as I thought I would. Amazing what a difference only 10-20 miles can make.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

"Peter - always a joy to read your rants. Another reason to avoid your products. "

Finally, a man of principle! Gartihicus, I imagine you have never in your life purchased a product produced in the People's Republic of China. They are of course a murderous dictatorship which deny their population basic human rights and execute more people than the rest of the world combined. I assume you don't support these policies and, as with the principed stand you have taken against my products for some cantankerous remarks on an insignificant website, you have let the Chinese government know that you avoid their products on principle on some Chinese website. I applaud you and tell you that you are a better man than I. If only there were more people like you in the world it would be a better place. Perhaps you can share with me what products and services you supply so that I might take an equally principled stand and boycott you...that would only be fair.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

P.S. Garthicus, my sidekick has morphed into Killer Rabbit of Holy Grail fame so I don't think you want to mess with him...nonetheless, a cute reference and a cute photo but he is dead so let's give him a rest. I rant under my own name and you all know who I am....who are you Garthicus...name, address, telephone number?