Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Uncorked-Wine and Spirits Appreciation

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

I recently had the LAN 2007 Rioja Riserva. Gotta say I was a little disappointed with it overall. All the goodness of the Tempranillo grape, with nice balanced acidity, fruits and oak but it just felt a little too thin on the body, a little wishy-washy.

I did recently grab a case of this in Edmonton as we have it on bin end, Torres Cordillera Carignan 2010

Still quite 'green'. A fair bit of black pepper and spices going on, with some over ripened dark fruits and strong woody flavours. Very tannic giving a very long drying finish. A handful of Hojiblanca olives definitely helped temper the flavours.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Torontoblue wrote:I recently had the LAN 2007 Rioja Riserva. Gotta say I was a little disappointed with it overall. All the goodness of the Tempranillo grape, with nice balanced acidity, fruits and oak but it just felt a little too thin on the body, a little wishy-washy.
Yup the 2010 was far from a Faustino and not a perfect bullseye, in fact the 2009 was reportedly better. But for sixteen bux, quite decent.

Having some more with a grilled Prime Rib from Sanigan's Meat in Kensington, smells like it will be amazing...
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Finca Nueva Barrel Fermented Rioja White 2013

A really interesting smooth Spanish Blanco with a nice acidity to balance the delicate pale fruit flavors… decent structure for a white, especially at 16 bucks. For sure one to try!
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Monte Zovo Bardolino Chiaretto 2014

Wow, unusual tangy apricot acidity, tart-fruity citrus and gooseberry plus tangy and fresh brioche aromas. Will pick this up again next season. Different than typical French Rosé.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Batasiolo Barbaresco 2011
Like the Produttori Barbaresco 2009 I had last November this beauty has some serious structure and a lot of flavor detail going on. Nice tannins mineral and acidity support deep cherry-raspberry fruit. NICE grippy palate. $28.95 is an excellent value point for any good Nebbiolo… $13 less than the Produttori which costs a chunk more for some added complexity but then the Batasiolo is not done ageing and will still improve. If interested I would jump to try one & maybe keep some to enjoy in the next four-plus years.

By the way this Prod Del Barbaresco Cantina del Pino 2010 looks awful tempting to me. Winealign
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Prod Del Barbaresco Cantina del Pino 2010

A refined Nebbiolo, as a Barbaresco showing more grace instead of Barolo's power. Dark berries and black cherry, dry cassis, some forest floor/herbal complexity that is pretty subtle. Fantastic color. A taste of the Piedmont without going there.

I was pleased to try this but may be returning my second bottle, 94 rating notwithstanding.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Ascheri San Giacomo Nebbiolo d'Alba 2012

This is a simpler, more youthful presentation of a grape more typical to Barolo and Barbaresco. I really like it! There is some thick velvety fruit up front asserted with a bit of alcohol, and there is a bit of Neb steeliness to the palate and finish. The tannins grab the teeth just slightly and the acidity is nicely poised.

More polished than I expected. Ascheri delivers a good one here!
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Tessellae Côtes du Roussillon Old Vines Grenache/Syrah/Mourvèdre 2013
All that preamble to announce that yes, this is a wine made with a classic Southern Rhone grape blend, but no it's not just like those wines.

The climate & terroir of this part of Roussillon make a solidly-structured red that is also delicate (I'm reminded of Faustino that way) showing Neufdupape-like three-dimensional blackberry and bramble and other wild berries, a nice tart acidity, just enough dryness, and a very posed palate. It's really good. The 'garrigue' of herbaceous florals and herbs and a woody element balances it well.

'Should' mature to 2017-18, and drinking well right now. Blink and you'll miss it.

ADD NOTE - this was left in the fridge a few days. Wow - it's actually improved!! I need more of this, and I suggest decanting so it can breathe.
Last edited by Belgian on Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

doriton

Post by doriton »

I have bottle of Mcdowel. I love the taste. It doesn't affect your head a lot I guess.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Barahonda Barrica Monastrell/Syrah 2011 Monastrell (Mourvèdre) Blend
Here is a nice big Mourvédre-heavy blend from Spain. The wines from the Rhone in France usually have as a predominant grape Grenache or Syrah, with Mourvédre in a supporting role, lower in the blend. It's a moody, dense grape and I like it as a single variety wine. In the Barahonda we have a nicely-rounded Mourvédre-based wine with the silky Syrah adding harmony. Peppery with black fruit, good full palate. Spain is leading it with some of the good-value new-world-ish reds.
In Beerum Veritas

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

I had that Barahonda last year. Got it for around $12.00 down in Montana. It was a very nice, easy drinking, value for money Spanish red.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

The 'BO is bringing in a 2000 Vieux Chateau Gachet, which is from Lalande de Pomerol. Anyone know anything about it? 30 bucks seems cheap for a 15 year old Bordeaux.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bordeaux Right Bank Reds tend to be full-bodied and have high acidity. The Right Banks Bordeauxs are beautiful blends that consist mostly Merlot, making some of the most sought-after wines in the world.

The moderate climate of Bordeaux creates medium plus tannins and a stilted structure accent very earthy soil, tobacco, tar along with blackberry, raspberry, and plum on the nose and palate.
    Craig,
    Looks like 2000 Vieux Chateau Gachet could be a moderately good vintage that is representative of Pomerol if not outstanding.

Speaking of Pomerol, Christian Moueix is a good reliable Bordeaux label/Négociant offering reds from some of those vaunted regions. By my limited sampling I liked the C M St-Emilion even better than the Pomerol, and for much less although I didn't age either of them for that many years.

I still think the Gachet-Lalande might be a fine wine for thirty dollars to try a properly aged Pomerol from a decent house. For the cellaring cost it's cheap.
    In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
    Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Xavier Ventoux 2012 - Rhone - Syrah Grenache Mourvédre
    A silky flavourful red with lots of crushed dark berry, and a perfect balancing dryness and acidity. Really refined and outstanding for the low price.
    In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
    Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Château de Nages JT Costières de Nîmes 2012Syrah/Mourvèdre
    A delicious Rhone red I wish I had snagged a few more of! Syrah lends the plush ripe dense red berry fruit, and Mourvédre adds the deeper brooding layer and a hint of brush and herbals. A density that promises it would age pretty well, if desired. Good poised acidity and fine tannins balances the richness on the palate. Replays of blueberry, black- and raspberry, like liquid summer sunshine. Some red fruit candy and liquorice. If you see it snag it - 24.95, and worth a small detour, seriously.
    In Beerum Veritas