Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Spring 2009 Release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

So yesterday I had to ask an employee to get some Orval for me out of the back of the store, it was just in. Today, I managed to snag the last bottle from the shelf.

I don't care if Orval is sending their beers in boxes made of crackers, if something sells this well, they're just plain stupid for giving it a hard time about anything.

I'm also enjoying it a LOT more than I did last year when I had it the first time (Brett characters really do grow on you).

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

JesseM wrote:So yesterday I had to ask an employee to get some Orval for me out of the back of the store, it was just in. Today, I managed to snag the last bottle from the shelf.

I don't care if Orval is sending their beers in boxes made of crackers, if something sells this well, they're just plain stupid for giving it a hard time about anything.

I'm also enjoying it a LOT more than I did last year when I had it the first time (Brett characters really do grow on you).

It will certainly grow on you Jesse. Took me a while too as I recall. But now when I have an Orval, I really dig it, and I have to say that it is probably one of the most rewarding and complex drinking experiences each time.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

wasn't the brutal bitter under $5 last year?

now it is over $6...
is that to cover the AIG like bonuses at the LCBO?

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

bujubanton wrote:wasn't the brutal bitter under $5 last year?

now it is over $6...
is that to cover the AIG like bonuses at the LCBO?
LMAO!

That must be it! Thanks Buju!

I was actually wondering where you've been...

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

No, it was actually $5.95:

http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=3562

Nice try, though.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I was lucky to grab 20 Orval in the Beach the same day they put it out.

Not even time for inventory count. Don't go by that.

(The 2004 is drinking fantastic!!!! I will A-B the two soon....)
In Beerum Veritas

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

GregClow wrote:
No, it was actually $5.95:
I for one wouldn't have a problem paying a little more for the Brutal Bitter. :D

carguy

Post by carguy »

You have to admit, wouldn't it be boring to live around the corner from Premier Gourmet, and be able to buy any beer you wanted any time you wanted? Doesn't the LCBO's strangle hold on good beer make beer hunting all the more challenging, and in the end, rewarding? None of this "one stop shopping". No, we have to drive from store to store, because God forbid all stores carry all the listings from a single release, or at the same time. How much more exciting is it that we go rushing from city to city, store to store, trying to get one bottle of this, or two bottles of that before everyone else finds out about it and cleans out the inventory, never to be seen again. Isn't it exciting!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

carguy wrote:You have to admit, wouldn't it be boring to live around the corner from Premier Gourmet, and be able to buy any beer you wanted any time you wanted? Doesn't the LCBO's strangle hold on good beer make beer hunting all the more challenging, and in the end, rewarding? None of this "one stop shopping". No, we have to drive from store to store, because God forbid all stores carry all the listings from a single release, or at the same time. How much more exciting is it that we go rushing from city to city, store to store, trying to get one bottle of this, or two bottles of that before everyone else finds out about it and cleans out the inventory, never to be seen again. Isn't it exciting!
My sarcasm detector just exploded.........

carguy

Post by carguy »

At least you know it was working JesseM! :wink:

BTW, yesterday I watched them open a case of Orval to stock the shelf, and I can't possibly imagine what the LCBO's problem with the package is. Breakage shouldn't be a problem, the thing was practically armoured. If I was going to buy a box to ship bottles overseas, I'd find the company who made the boxes for Orval.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Not to mention those bowling-pin bottles have to be some of the thickest in the industry. Not great for shipping cost, but damn they're solid.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Yeah I just openned my first 12 pack case of Orval and it is practically UPS proof, compared to any beer packaging I've ever seen nothing has been as sturdy.

On another note, are the LCBO inventory links in the original post working for you guys or is it just me?

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Good news is that Orval has agreed to develop an LCBO compliant carton which should mean that we'll see it in the stores again at some point in the future.

beerbroker

Post by beerbroker »

That is good news! Thanks for working with them, Peter.

I was actually pretty impressed by the current packaging when a dropped a full case in the LCBO parking lot and didn't lose any bottles...

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Jan Primus wrote:On another note, are the LCBO inventory links in the original post working for you guys or is it just me?
Not just you. Looks like they changed their search engine software, so the old direct link format no longer works. :evil: