Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Spring 2009 Release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

LCBO Spring 2009 Release

Post by GregClow »

The following beers are planned to be included in the LCBO's Spring seasonal beer release for 2009. The official release date for these beers is early March. All details (including beers included in the release) are subject to change.

PIETRA (6.5% - $2.55/330 ml - LCBO 100495)
TRAFALGAR OAK AGED RYE (5% - $3.95/650 ml - LCBO 67173)
TRAFALGAR CEDAR CREAM ALE (5% - $2.35/341 ml - LCBO 104679)
DOPPEL HIRSCH DOPPELBOCK (7.2% - $3.95/500 ml - LCBO 106237)
GREAT LAKES GREEN TEA & GINSENG ALE (4.2% - $4.95/650 ml - LCBO 105874)
ROGUE BRUTAL BITTER (6.2% - $6.35/650 ml - LCBO 909770)
ROGUE KELLS IRISH LAGER (5.2% - $6.35/650 ml - LCBO 113399)
WESTMALLE TRIPEL (9.5% - $3.75/330 ml - LCBO 676577)
WELTENBURGER KLOSTER ASAM BOCK (6.9% - $3.35/500 ml - LCBO 893974)
ORVAL (6.2% - $3.50/330 ml - LCBO 121574)
URBOCK 23 (9.6% - $3.00/330 ml - LCBO 65763)
Last edited by GregClow on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

A mixed bag, but on the whole pretty decent in my eyes.

I'm happy to see the westmalle, orval, weltenburger and brutal bitter return - they're all top rate beers for their style.

The oak aged rye and urbock 23 are decent, but not enough for me to purchase again.

The Great Lakes Green Tea, Kell's and Trafalgar Cream are all new to me, and I'll try them but I'm not sure there up my street.

I think I'll love the doppel hirsch.

The Pietra sounds awful.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

You know what would be nice about these releases? That they bring in beers based on merit and a points system, the exact way most of the Vintage releases are decided. There are enough ratings out there for beers so why can't the LCBO utilise them? We then wouldn't be subjected to the awful (Bobsy tm) Pietra.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

For comparison, I looked up last years release, we don't really seem to have improved by much

Duchy Originals Organic Ale (LCBO 26971) - $3.55/500 mL bottle
Orval (LCBO 439992) - $3.45/330 mL bottle
Jenlain Bière de Printemps (LCBO 65771) - $2.45/330 mL bottle
St. Louis Gueuze (LCBO 468660) - $3.95/375 mL bottle
Trafalgar Oak Aged Rye (LCBO 67173) - $3.95/650 mL bottle
Weltenberger Kloster Asam Bock (LCBO 893974) - $3.25/500 mL bottle
Westmalle Tripel (LCBO 676577) - $3.95/330 mL bottle
Rogue Brutal Bitter (LCBO 909770) - $5.95/650 mL bottle
Schloss Eggenberg Urbock 23 (LCBO 65763) - $2.60/330 mL bottle
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I think it is pretty solid release as a whole. It is safe to say that in each release, there is 1 or 2 goofy beers that really beg the question "why"? But oh well. I am happy with it. Especially when comparing it to some of the older spring releases circa 2004-2007, which usually contained an assortment of strange fruit beers, some light lagers, and the only beer I'd ever buy was saison dupont.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

I'll always be happy if the spring release (or any release for that matter) includes Westmalle Tripel and Orval.

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

Unfortunately, for Ottawa this release is a bit weak. The highlight of the release is Orval and that is easily available from the SAQ.

I guess I will just have to keep checking for the next release while sipping a few Rogue Brutal Bitters. :wink:

Hopefully the "cellarable items" release (Whenever that is) will include a few interesting additions.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I'm very pleased with the release. I love bock's and the Weltenberger is one of my favourite beers, I'll be stocking up on it as much as I can. The doppel Hirsch looks awesome as well, I'll always look forward to any Rogue product being brought in, as well I'm looking forward to giving Orval another chance. Trafalgar's stuff has actually been pretty decent in my most recent experiences so I'm not going to dismiss the stuff from them so soon.

austin

Post by austin »

Usual stuff, although it's good to restock on the Westmalle Tripel and Asam Bock. Check out the 25 rating of Pietra on Ratebeer. Wow, can it get any lower? Anyways..... same old agents same old beer.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Thanks for posting the info and links Greg.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

...hate that "old beer"...why don't those monks start growing weed instead..with all due respect, a silly comment. Orval, Westmalle, Rogue and others should be permanent listings in Ontario but you are apparently bored with these old beers. Great attitiude. The fact that they show up once a year is a plus but you apparently think it's a negative...don't know where you're coming from but...go back there. I know you probably meant that we should have far more of these and a larger variety but your words suggest that world classics are boring. We, the same old agants, submit tons of good stuff but the LCBO, for the most part, chooses beers which were previously successful and they try to put in a few new items. We are often puzzled by the beers they select and the beers they reject but to use the term "same old" when referrring to any Trappist beer is an insult and an indication that the poster does not know his hops from his malt.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

esprit wrote:...should be permanent listings in Ontario but you are apparently bored with these old beers. Great attitiude. The fact that they show up once a year is a plus...
Personally, I love the seasonal program.

It provides a little more variety, and you know when the product is fresh (and I'll take it home & put it in my fridge/cellar).

But I do see the other side. Some stuff truly is seasonal (ex. I don't drink many doppelbocks in the summer), while with other stuff it's really more of a rotating release.

But I'm actually fine with that... The stronger Trappists may be alright on the shelf, but I hate seeing other stuff just sitting there. Until the LCBO starts refrigerating, I'm actually happy that some of these aren't just regular stock.

But then again, I don't currently have any Brutal Bitter in my fridge. :-?

The Doppel Hirsch is a pleasant surprise that I can't wait to try (who brought that in?)... though I'm still hoping to see Korbinian sometime.

austin

Post by austin »

Do I detect a slight defensive tone in Mr. Esprit's post? Good to see he hasn't lost any of his negative and tiresome attitude.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

austin...defensive? I'm posting as a beer consumer, not an agent...what is it your post implies? Do you agree that world classics are old? If so, say so...don't read into my post and attribute emotions. Did I say something wrong?

kmallett

Post by kmallett »

I'm just happy to see Rogue Brutal Bitter, Orval and the Asam Bock coming back. My fridge has been lacking without them!