Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Propeller ESB coming to LCBO

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Hawks28

Propeller ESB coming to LCBO

Post by Hawks28 »

Just read on Troy Burtch's blog that Propeller ESB will be coming to the LCBO in the summer, at a price of 13.50 a 6. Great news, IMO. I've been really hoping that they would bring in more quality CDN beer from outside Ontario, and this is a good start. And I've never had any Propeller brews before, so Im really looking forward to this. Hopefully we'll get something from out west by the end of the year too.

Queef

Post by Queef »

while thats a good start from a great brewery, other than quebec, and maybe some big rock, is anything outside ontario represented? Because when you think about it, thats pretty pathetic, that the LCBO carries hundreds of bad stale imports and can't het something decent and fresh from canada outside ontario.....
hopefully more to come.
it's beer o'clock.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I have never had any of Propeller's brews, but I am excited about this. I love trying new beers and I'm glad to hear that we may be getting more Canadian Content ;)

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I remember this was available quite some time ago at the LCBO. Hopefully it is nice and fresh and hoppy. When I had it last I didn't care for it, and I would like that to change.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

This is excellent news. God forbid the largest liquor retailer in the country has a little Canadian content.

kmallett

Post by kmallett »

My sister picked up a few beers from Propeller last summer when she was out there (ESB and Honey Wheat). I really enjoyed the ESB and it's nice to see the LCBO bringing it in.

I'll certainly be picking up a bunch of it when it comes out and try to keep my fridge stocked with Propeller ESB and Rogue Brutal Bitter.

Timmy

Post by Timmy »

Pretty exciting to hear them bringing in some Canadian Brews...Pretty sad when most of us in Ontario have better access to European and American beer than stuff brewed on our own soil.

Never tried any Propellor stuff but have heard about it for years. Looking forward to it.

Magni

Post by Magni »

Any news on when this is arriving?

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

It is shipping from Halifax next Tuesday, it should be in stores mid June or shortly after.

We will post an announcement as soon as it hits the shelves.
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Not to be all doom and gloom but...a mid June shelf date would be VERY optimistic. The LCBO can sometimes take six weeks or more just to get a product through lab testing before it even allows it to begin shipping from the warehouse. Hopefully that "or shortly after" will only be a week or two.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Jon Walker wrote:Not to be all doom and gloom but...a mid June shelf date would be VERY optimistic. The LCBO can sometimes take six weeks or more just to get a product through lab testing before it even allows it to begin shipping from the warehouse. Hopefully that "or shortly after" will only be a week or two.
Lab testing time at the LCBO is a maximum of 3 weeks, though if the agent/supplier is willing to cough up a little bit more money (about another $100) the product can be rushed through in 3-4 days.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Are you certain all products make it through labs in 3 weeks or less? I seem to recall a number of seasonals being held up for far longer than that, and not just the ones with erroneous alcohol content.

Regardless, if the shipment indeed ships next Tuesday (let's not even get in to the multitude of late shipping stories for seasonals) that means May 26th. To make it from shipping destination, through labs, warehousing and to store shelves in two and a half weeks is, IMHO, beyond optimistic. Then again I'd be happy to be wrong and see it available the week of June 14th. I guess we'll see.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Jon Walker wrote:Are you certain all products make it through labs in 3 weeks or less? I seem to recall a number of seasonals being held up for far longer than that, and not just the ones with erroneous alcohol content.

Regardless, if the shipment indeed ships next Tuesday (let's not even get in to the multitude of late shipping stories for seasonals) that means May 26th. To make it from shipping destination, through labs, warehousing and to store shelves in two and a half weeks is, IMHO, beyond optimistic. Then again I'd be happy to be wrong and see it available the week of June 14th. I guess we'll see.
Maybe blaming the lab is a good excuse for a product being late. We (agents) all know it's a maximum of 3 weeks for a lab test, and sometimes the LCBO do push it right to the maximum, others they are real quick. I've found it's best not to try and pre-empt them and you don't end up looking like a fool then.

Dokta Owange

Post by Dokta Owange »

Propeller being stocked year-round is great news. With Southern Tier + Propeller, R+R need to add an extra 'R'...Roland and Russell Rock! :)

Magni

Post by Magni »

I am so incredibly excited for this. Year round, it'll be just like living around the corner from propeller all over again... except I won't have any excuse to drink beer out of a 2L jug in the park. I'm serious, I used to drink a growler of this stuff a day.